Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from newbie in Northallerton

Truly55

Hello from Northallerton in North Yorkshire. Referred by Gary S on Fighter Control. I'm a complete newbie and my first sensible question(s) is advice on what to look for in buying a telescope. I'd like to be able to mount a DSLR and also have motorised tracking although the latter is less important.

Budget £300-400ish.

Anyone here from Northallerton area?

Hi and welcome from South Yorks. I can't help with your choice of telescope I'm afraid. However, I used to pop into Northallerton for a beer or three back in the mid-late 70's whilst at RAF Leeming.

Hi T

And a warm welcome to the SGL

The Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO for £349.00

seem to be a great buy it will depend also on light polution in you area

I was told when getting my scope that if light polution is bad in my area I should be thinking of 8" scope but I do kmow people with this scope and love it and it leaves you with some money for a eyepiece , or there is the 8 " Dob great scope worth the money let us all know what you decide First Light Optic do these scopes Clear skies

Doug

Essex

Hello from Northallerton in North Yorkshire. Referred by Gary S on Fighter Control. I'm a complete newbie and my first sensible question(s) is advice on what to look for in buying a telescope. I'd like to be able to mount a DSLR and also have motorised tracking although the latter is less important.

Budget £300-400ish.

Anyone here from Northallerton area?

Hi there from portsmouth and welcome from a fellow newbie.

There are plenty of threads here (and on other sites) with advce for us neophites. Have a great time browsing :D

Personally I'd recommend an equatorial mount for motorised use of scope and DSLR because it will give a fixed image. Be aware that the DeepSkyStacker software allows alignment of wide angle shots taken from a fixed tripod (although you will be limited to the maximum exposure time before stars start to "trail", depending on the focal length.)

Enjoy :eek:

Hi Truly,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I am located North of York, the York Astronomical Soc holds Star parties for the public at Sutton Bank two or three times a year, which may be of interest to you, their web site will keep you posted, Hope you enjoy our company.

John.

Archived