NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SHORT REVIEW - Televue 11mm Plossl

Moonshane

I have never used a TV plossl but being a TV fan and needing something temporarily in the 10mm range pending the purchase in the future of an Ethos, I jumped at this when it came up used and boxed/mint with caps at a good price.

The unit is very light as you'd expect, being a Plossl, but really very robust and the quality of finish as you'd expect from TV is superb.

The coatings are lush and green as with all of my TV's and it just feels well made.

The field is narrower than I'd like at 50 degrees and the eye relief is on the absolute limit of comfort for me personally at 8mm; there's a substantial difference in how close you have to get when compared with the Nagler zoom at 10mm. Well, obviously! It's a 20% reduction! :blob10: I didn't check last night but I suspect I will have already stroked it once or twice with my eyelashes. I feel that at a push and with the eye cup rolled down you could just about get away with glasses on this one but you'd need tracking.

In use the eyepiece is to me, every bit as good in terms of sharpness and contrast as the 13 Ethos with which I compared it tonight. Clearly the comfort/wow factors are not the same but that's what you get when you pay 7x the figure for an eyepiece.

On the disk of Jupiter last night, the transit of Io showed well with the shadow sharp and black and moon pale whitish in colour and clearly visible in good seeing when it came, as it crossed the disk. The detail on Jupiter was excellent too and the sky jet black.

If you can handle the field of view and the eye relief, (which is shorter on the 8mm and longer on the other TV Plossls) I'd highly recommend this range as an introduction (or a permanent investment) into high quality eyepieces. I am delighted with this and the only way it will be sold if when I get a 10mm Ethos; even then I may keep it given the good deal I purchased it at.

Cheers

Shane

post-17776-133877480659_thumb.jpg

Nice review of nice eyepiece Shane. I have the 15mm and 7.4mm TV Plossls, love 'em both. And they are both incredibly sharp with excellent coatings.

There was some amazing detail on view last night with Jupiter. Especially in the polar regions. And some amazing shades of colour.

Nice review of nice eyepiece Shane. I have the 15mm and 7.4mm TV Plossls, love 'em both. And they are both incredibly sharp with excellent coatings.

There was some amazing detail on view last night with Jupiter. Especially in the polar regions. And some amazing shades of colour.

cheers mate

I am definitely a fan with the ER proviso. agree re Jupiter too, just a shame I had to go to bo bo's. :blob10:

I agree, nice review and a nice eyepiece if you don't mind the ER. The older 13mm is really nice too if you can find one, they turn up used occasionally.

cheers Ben

worth watching out for, although I fear with the Ethos it might not get used :)

Yup I lurve the 8mm plossl but hey if you think of selling the 11mm, give us a nod;)

OK Beamish, I'll bear you in mind when (I mean if!) I sell. :hello2:

• 4 weeks later...

It will be a good test to see how much eye relief I can handle. For the money these seem unbelievably good value.

I'm coming to a conclusion that a big FoV is important at longer focal lengths for deep sky etc but for planetary I think its the image quality and crispness that is important. Thats why Im considering a pentax XO and trying out these plossls and orthos. If I can't handle it then I think im going to go down the XW route rather than ethos.

• 7 years later...

I very recently acquired the very same eyepiece from a forum member. Not had any chance to use it but your review is promising. I'm used to my old Fullerscopes provided Plossls so hope that this bad boy will be a delight to use!

Agreed! The 11mm was always my favourite of the TV Plossls, and works very nicely in a PST for Ha too :) 

Don't have one at the moment but they are very nice, sharp eyepieces.

EDIT Is that a record for a zombie thread revival?

The TV plossl is a very underated eyepiece by some, with all these long eye relief and wide fov eyepieces available these days. But for those in the know these little eyepieces have top quality optics in a compact size. 

The first Televue I ever purchased was a used smooth side 10.5 mm, A very good quality eyepiece that opened my eyes to the quality of TV plossl. I still have this 10.5 mm and a few others of the TV plossl range have been added also. Great for planetary in Cyclops and some have been paired up for binoviewers and give great view's on lunar. In which the TV plossl is very good as a top quality eyepiece for Cyclops and binoviewing. ?

Have been comparing TV plossls with Fujiyama orthos recently on the moon and solar ha - it's very difficult to split them in terms of sharpness, brightness and contrast. They are all first rate. Really it comes down to personal preferences like eye relief and fov. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

I really like my tv plossl I need the range of 11mm to 25mm, they quality of build, clarity of view and quality of view all are excellent.

I also really like the wider f.o.v from my LVW and XW eyepieces too.

Somehow the humble tv plossl calls my name and they get equal use, it depends on the observing mood or frame of mind I am I as to which I use.

I am considering the 8mm and 32mm tv plossl to make my set more complete.

But I am also going to buy more LVW and XW as they come up for sale.

I have no intention of selling the tv plossl.

Archived