Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Essential iPhone apps

Earl

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
List away as im now at long last an iPhone owner :blob10:

Me too since last week, so looking forward to some interesting responses. You can get Stellarium, but I'm not too impressed with it compared with the desktop version. VERY fiddly and not very detailed.

Sky Recorder - Use you iphone to set your sky box from anywhere

Shop Savvi - barcode reader and price checker online

Stellarium

Planets

Angry Birds - Awesome addictive Game

Bow Hunter - A good game

Ebay

Facebook

Twitter apps

WiFi Finder

Layers - Acumented relality - Uses the camera and places interest places over the stret view - A must see.

a few to get you going

Shazam - Identify music via microphone and link to to buy places

DropBox - Internet storage area you can share with laptops, macs, iphones and other people can see it.

BBC and Sky news players - Live streaming of news channels.

oh the list goes on and on.

Currently writing a few apps myself for the iPhone.

Then there's labyrinth if you like puzzle games, kingdoms live if you like rpg(ish), reversi(othello), ifitness if you're in training, monopoly, scrabble and trivial pursuit for family fun, zenga poker, strategery if you like risk, units for converting, iplayer when you're on wifi and missed 'stenders. Plus making desktop shortcuts to all yr fav retailers (flo, ian king, etc) and categorising them with folder views. So much fun to be had whilst waiting for the sky to clear.

Mike

One of my favourites albeit not an app as such but you can create an icon to add to your home screen is TVCATCHUP , excellent for viewing the majority of freeview tv channels whilst out and about , works very well when you have 3G signal

Must give another mention to

Angry Birds

Other apps I use (to varying degrees) are:-

Pocket Universe

Distant Suns

Stellarium

Planets

Moon Globe

MoonMapLite

Tomtom Western Europe

NASA

Met Office Weather

Accuweather (nice to have a second opinion + has 15 days)

Lottery & Euro Millions for the results on the odd occasion I buy a ticket

Google app

SciFri

Yell.com

British Film Locations

Where's Wally

Topple 2

Tube Map & London Bus to get me round London when I'm down there (London Bus is amazing!)

Amazon, Argos, Paypal, Ikea & Next shopping apps

eReader

VegOut Veggie restaurant finder

Google Earth

Talking Carl

TV-Guide

Satellites & Satellite Tracker

TideApp

View 2 Ski

Snow Report

iTrail Map

Facebook

iHandy Level

Shop Savvy

Trip Tracker

Bejeweled 2

National Trust

The Trainline

Local Concerts

BBC iPlayer

Clubcard

Hilton

Hotel Booker

Accor Hotels

iSeismo

Mild EleMints

iRefLight

Free Mouse / Mobile Air Mouse

Accio English French Dictionary

Sleep Cycle Alarm

iCurrencyPad

Night Vision (red screen torch)

And a bunch I don't use and should delete

Has anyone tried Lightpainter or Slow Shutter Cam for long exposure photos?

most essential,is getting it jailbroken,free apps then!!!

Naah, if someone produces an app that I think is worth buying I want to reward the creator so they are inspired to create more apps.

From a friend's experience it can be more trouble than it is worth and if everyone did it the app designers would give up producing apps. Also apps could quite possibly be cheaper if they sold more so could be said it is taking money out of the pockets of people who buy them legitimately.

I have nothing against the idea of jailbreaking to allow apps to be installed without them having to be approved by Apple if people want to go that route.

My most used ones are:

TV Catchup

eBay

Red Laser

Planets

PocketUniverse

GPSLite

Yelp

Wolfram Alpha

CoPilot UK

iFitness

Games:

Moron Test

Angry Birds

Fling

Solitaire

Naah, if someone produces an app that I think is worth buying I want to reward the creator so they are inspired to create more apps.

Indeed. I used to jailbreak my 3GS, but only 'cause I wanted a background. OS4 sorted that, though.

Er no thanks!

That's like chipping a Console or pirating a game.

Only Scum do that kind of thing.

Not true. Mine is jailbroken and I have bought every app on it. The reason I jailbroke mine is I like full controll of the phone. I use SSB Settings, this gives me full controll of all the setting Apple hide from you.

I just can't help my self but fiddle with settings :blob10: I also agree that if an app is worth having then pay for it!!! give something back to the creator. One day I hope to create apps for the iphone, and I hope to get paid.

Jailbreaking the iPhone is fantastic, it keeps you one step ahead of Apple who are painfully slow on the uptake of much needed features. Backgrounds just released in OS4? What a joke

It's legal as well, so don't tar us with the same brush as criminals

U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple?s Objections | Threat Level | Wired.com

It has made a huge difference to the iPhone development as I have no doubt they have gradually given in to pressure and are making more and more of the jailbreak features legit to convince people to stop doing it (read, more money for Apple)

..and where do people get this insane idea that you can get pirated App store Apps? The Apps on a jailbreak machine are made for the jailbreak, some are free and others not, this is completely the choice of the developers

It's a valid alternative to Apple, it's just a shame they don't like competition

Starmap Pro is the reason I bought my Ipod Touch, you'll never use another starmap again, Chronometer is very cool and also good is GoSatWatch for keepin an eye on those little moving blighters, I would also recommend PDF expert to transfer all those instruction books and manuals to your phone for all your bits of kit so have access to them when your standing in the dark in the middle of nowhere.

If it's cloudy you can't beat Angry Birds.

Mel

PDF expert to transfer all those instruction books and manuals to your phone for all your bits of kit so have access to them when your standing in the dark in the middle of nowhere

iBooks is surprising good for this as well. You can save PDF's straight from Mobile Safari or just drag and drop them in iTunes

Skyvoyager - it costs a few pounds but is very good. I think orion are rebranding it and selling it under their name . it can even do scope control via wi fi

Other than that FIFA 2010 world cup edition was only £1.59

Also IPDL is a desktop app that allows you to download many programs from BBC I player

Archived