If you could give a beginner one piece of advice it would be......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice to a beginner would be , dont go and buy a telescope , start with binoculars and learn the brighter stars & constelations.

If you decide you want a scope, see if you can have a look through someone elses first and dont expect anything like you see in photos.

If eventualy you get the bug and take the plunge, expect to have a dwindling bank balance :D

At a star party, always, always approcah the chap or chapess frantically imaging away, shine a powerful white torch down their scope and say 'What's all this then?'

They love it! The laughs you'll get!

At a star party, always, always approcah the chap or chapess frantically imaging away, shine a powerful white torch down their scope and say 'What's all this then?'

Only recommended if you can out-sprint Usain Bolt in the 200 metres. :D:D:D

John

Or ask the visual crowd how many faint fuzzies they have seen tonight... unless they are using a 16+" inch dob....

Find at least one other "hobby" that you can do on cloudy nights...

Billy...

great advice so far. not sure anyone has recommended this one.

'have a plan for a night's observing'

when I first started I had a number of wasted nights trying to identify targets I had decided on in the dark on spec. I now have more success concentrating on one researched constellation / set of targets before I begin. always have a main list and a back up list in case you have more success than you expect!

Dont knock your Guinness over and be careful of hedgehogs :D

On a more serious note: get yourself a good box to put stuff in like eyepieces, filters, etc. Then when you are outside everything is in one place. Anything will do - I use a shoebox :)

kingofcolly-albums-equipment-picture6197-my-showbox-d.jpg

I was always sorry I didnt do a little more research before I bought my first scope (thats not to say I dont love my 8" dob, i just couldve got more apperture if I had bought online, do'h)

And find another hobby to do when its cloudy cause if you live anywhere like I do it tends to be cloudy a lot.

My advice would be to take your time, theres a lot to learn. Some of the kit you now have may look a bit intimidating but dont expect to become an expert in only a few sessions.

Having only been in this game for only a year I consider myself to be a newbie, although I'm happy with my set up theres still a lot out there I havent even considered yet.

Last of all, enjoy yourself, dont feel like you have to go out & set up just because its dark, you might be tired, not feel like it or whatever........remember its supposed to be a hobby (too late for me, I'm already addicted & a lost cause)

Archived