Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from South Africa

Slysalamanda

Hi all, My name is Garth and I'm an alcoholic..... well some times :)

I'm from a small town called Heidelberg in SA. I'm pretty much a adventure freak and Adrenalin junkie, but recent business commitments have restrained me to my house and only short getaways. I was lured into Star gazing/astrofotography several years back when relaxing next to a camp fire passing time, by staring into space on a clear dark night. i has taken me time to tell myself to go head and get what i needed, and as usual, i have gone a little over the top with what i bought, but glad i did.

Now i am a slight insomniac, so staying up all night to look at the stars has been easy for me,not so much for my other (better as she may say)Half.

I have to admit learning all that i need to know about astronomy is a bigger learning curve than i thought it was going to be. i was a little nieve in the beginning, but now that i know what can be learned and seen, only pushes me further into "space".

So far I'm loving every minute spent outside with my telescope and a drink in my hand. Frustrations have been many but are dwindling as i learn the inns and outs.

So once again, hello to all the members in the SGL.

And i look forward to seeing all the great images, and hearing about

all the great outings members post and have.

Cheers :)

Garth (AKA: Slysalamanda)

Thanx guys

As john has asked, here is what i use.

My scope is the Astro-Tech 8" f/8 Ritchey-Chrétien (Have a look)

on a celestron goto CGEM mount (have a look)

Im using a Cannon eos 7D DSLR

Guiding with PHD & webcam or LVI SMARTGUIDER on a Celestron Astromaster 70

Sky conditions are 90% of the the time no clouds in the winter and about 60% no clouds come summer.

Fairly low light pollution (3-4 on the scale) as im far from any major citys or large towns. Milky way is very bright for me.

Garth

Hi Garth big welcome to SGL, nice to know about the cloud variation where you are. My wife's got family in johannesburg and they keep on about us going over for a visit. Sounds like it could be a spectacular sight at night.

Hi Garth and welcome to the forum.

There is a lot to learn but you don't need to do it all at the start. Eventually the dots do start to join up to give you the bigger picture - Keep going!!!

Clear skies

James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived