NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One big behemoth of a glob

Sam

The weather has been a bit dog for a few weeks - but a wee respite from the southerly blasts allowed me to get Omega Centauri last night. What a massive glob! I thought M13 was pretty massive until this one filled the camera screen.

Equipment for this one was (as usual):

Skywatcher 250px (10" reflector)

Skywatcher EQ6 Syntrek (used with EQMOD)

Skywatcher ST80 piggy backed on the 250px (80mm refractor for the guidescope)

Canon 1000D DSLR (modded with the IR filter removed)

QHY5 guide camera (goes through the ST80)

For the image processing I use DSS and PixInsight 1.6.1. For guiding I use PHD guiding and I drift align with Guidemaster.

Omega Centauri is quite close to Centaurus A in the constellation of Centaurus. It's quite high in the south eastern sky in NZ at the moment. The glob is huge and is about 15,800 light years away. There's a thought that it may have once been a dwarf galaxy.:p

lightbucket-albums-lightbucket-s-best-pics-picture5985-omega-centauri-ngc-5139-taked-11-aug-10.jpg

Sam

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments, Harry I did SCNR on the red. I had a go at HDR but it made the image loose some of it's natural core brightness. I think this version looks a bit more natural and a lot less red.:p

lightbucket-albums-posted-pics-picture6014-omega-centauri-taken-11-aug-10.jpg

Sam

Magnificent image especially with better colour in the reprocess. Emigrated to Oz in April and this beast was rising in the East and can be seen with naked eye at 3rd mag as a strikingly fuzzy star bigger than the Moon and through eyepiece is jawdropping, but I've not seen it this way yet so will have to wait for next Spring.

John.

Archived