Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The strangest thing ever bodged onto a telescope

Glider

Whilst figuring out how to get my finderguider mounted on my ED80 I spent an hour rooting through my Dads shed.

Here is my offering for the title; "The strangest thing ever bodged onto a telescope", it's the bit of plastic that mounts cupboard hinges into kitchen unit carcasses.

Incredibly the holes in it matched up with holes in the OTA and the ring bracket.

Can anyone beat that?

post-17592-133877467848_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877467859_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877467868_thumb.jpg

Yeah, looks like the centre of a heli rotor with the contraption to change the blade angle.

Anyway, I'm also one of these people who like to keep things that look like they have the slightest chance of ever getting re-used. Much to my girlfriend's dismay. ;-)

The plastic bit above looks very much like something I'd definitely keep.

Some of the bits will be kept for many years before being used. Some will probably never be used, but you never know.

I do enjoy the satisfaction of thinking "Am I glad I kept that bit many years ago!" Especially when it's being use for something I build / fix for my girlfriend who wanted me to get rid of that same bit... ;-)

Actually - the swashplate is the major thing on a chopper that reduces vibration (not to scope levels though). It also enables it to fly - without it you'd have no control lol.

You can get some great pics with a camera slung under a chopper (ask the feds lol).

This ones a particularly beautiful build. I'd be interested to know if it's authentic and how big it is. :)

Hi, I don't want to take over this thread with non astronomy stuff, so I'll just post this last pic and go away. I suppose it is slightly relevant in that I postponed this project to build the 16" binoscope elsewhere in this section.

Heli is eighth scale.

helicopterpics087.jpg

Archived