Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Monterrey

aldogarzat

Morning

I'm a newbie on this, so maybe I could make you laugh with some silly questions, but it doesn't matter for me, as long as I get the right answer from you. :)

I got just yesterday a Meade 114/900 EQ1-B, and I got to see the moon as I never have seen it, I was amazed!.

Really I don't know how I could point to the moon and a achieve to see it, but I did it!

The EQ1-B is used, but it seems to be in good shape (not broken, beaten, crashed or things like that) just some dust here and there.

So.. I have some questions for you guys! Here I go:

1.- How do I clean my EQ1-B.

2.- the EQ1-B didn't come with any collimator tool, so what is the best collimator for this kind of scopes ( and newbies as I am)

3.- Where can I get a manual for a Meade 114/900 EQ1-B.

4.- What kind of filters I have to get to see the moon and sun (brand, features, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi welcome to the forum :)

for collimation you want a cheshire or laser collimator tool,if you search this forum there is lots of advice i liked this short movie

Collimating a Newtonian

try this for a manual

http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/Reflectors/062002Jupiter114EQ-D.pdf

as for filters the moon does not really need one,but any lunar filter will help meade do one that you can get 2nd hand for £10

the sun i would tread very carefully!!! only get well known brands maybe like the bader solar film,it depends what you want to see,it can get expensive i am sure some of the forum members will be able to advise you better

good luck pete

Hi Aldogarzat, welcome to SGL.

Regarding cleaning, if it's the mirror that's a bit dusty, don't worry!

Do not go near the mirror until you have read some of the threads regarding how to do it correctly, you could do a lot of damage if it's not done right.

You can get a moon filter that screws into the eyepiece, I've got one and it makes for more comfortable viewing, give some of your dealers a ring and get some prices, they shouldn't be too expensive.

Regarding the Sun, be very careful, you only get one set of eyeball's! Check out spaceweather.com, that's the safest way to see the sun.

Clear skies.

Thank you to everybody for your warm welcome!

Well.. I just realized my scope's mount is motorized! God! so much to learn!

Now I'm looking for filters. Thank you for your advises.

I have downloaded the scope's manual and tonight I'm going to read it.

I'm looking information about general maintenance for my "new" scope.

Thanks a lot guys.

Archived