Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

star gazing in shorts

Daniel-K

Hi,

Last night I too was in a T-shirt but didn't want to go as far as shorts as the moon's reflected light on my white legs would have affected everyone's night vision! :)

(...I shall have to paint them dark red for tonight though :D:D)

James

I've only managed to observe in shorts and t-shirt once, it was a nice experience and I would like to recreate it.

With the Irish weather I could be waiting a long time.

Yep it is nice when you can pobserve in shorts & T-shirts. :)

I am fortunate in that midges don't really like me :D

Getting dived bombed by Bats and Stag beatles is an experience.

Cheers

Ian

I used to remember the stag beetles in London when I lived their, horrible things thay were and really large as well.

Strange have never seen one out of London :)

about 6 or so maybugs flew into me last night, those guys are big and when you are minding your own business looking through the scope they certainly give you a shock!

Yep it is nice when you can pobserve in shorts & T-shirts. :)

I am fortunate in that midges don't really like me :D

Getting dived bombed by Bats and Stag beatles is an experience.

Cheers

Ian

If you see some bats get a hand full of small moth sized stones and when a bat comes near you throw one in the air it should be confused for a second or two thinking it's a easy meal and fly down really close to you, its great to see them up close. Obviously it works best at dusk when you can still see them.

any one else find that the atomosphere aint to good after a hot day and that its a bit hard to focus?

After a hot day there is a lot of heat been given off by the ground and buildings so lots of thermal currents rising up

Hi,

Glasgow area has been very warm the last 2 nights and we seem to have had clearish skies for the last week. I was barefoot and t-shirted last night and got buzzed by bats. They were back on Sunday for round 2.

cold and dark skies for me, i dont cope that well in the heat and the summer nights are way too short

You don't have to go far south to get more darkness. We bottom out at about 4 hours astronomical darkness per night and we are only at Lat 44.

Olly

I used to remember the stag beetles in London when I lived their, horrible things thay were and really large as well.

Strange have never seen one out of London :)

I wonder if that is what scuttled across my star atlas the other night as it lay on the ground. I heard something's legs scratchily running across it, but there was no light to see what it was. Creepy!

There is also something living in the hedge, it crashes about at quite regular intervals and makes me jump out of my skin. The garden has really come alive! Creepy!

Archived