Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok well and truely annoyed!!

Astorix

Ok picture the scene.. Day i get my scope (Which is today) I am really looking forward to going and collecting it. Will probably be back home with it by 4 or 5.. However, the day started off nice and sunny and guess what!!!!

NOW ITS CLOUDY AND RAINING!!!!

i really thought i would break the curse of clouds with every purchase however it seems that i have fallen to the hex of astronomy!

Maybe things will get better? maybe the clouds will all go away and come 9/10 o'clock this evening?

All i know is atm i am not a happy camper!!!!

Hi Richie,

You are probably right because i will be hectic all week with work indoors, probably looking outside to the lovely sun, then come 5 o'clock i will get home and the clouds will roll in!

Ty-pi-cal!!

the best one is the lovely clear night, set the scope up and while it's cooling the clouds roll in. some nights I have been looking at a target and the clouds come in during the the view so you think ah, I'll look over at (choose your target) and just as you get on it, more cloud - part of the UK Astro scene I suppose - it's what makes it all more ahem, 'challenging'.

one thing's for sure. the stars ain't going nowhere fast so if the clouds do roll in, chill out and have a beer or watch a film with your loved one, earning some brownie points so when you do get a good night there's no problem with getting your astro passport stamped by 'customs'. it is frustrating though :D

I had to wait about 2 months before getting my first decent session with my current scope. But once you finally get a long clear night it'll all be worthwhile.

I was fully expecting the bad weather curese when I recently upgraded to a new scope but was amazed to get 2 clear nights back to back after it's arrival ! :D

Been pretty cloudy of late though :p

I'm in the same boat, scope arrived thursday 23rd april, set it up, only view so far was last saturday when the moon came through the cloud, nothing else since, and still waiting for a decent clearish (would do) sky, this bank holiday weekend will be at home, but weather forecast not good in any case, so will watch forum, do some reading and see what else I can learn, it's frustrating, but it's astronomy, but not as we know it Jim, but that day will come and SOON!!!!

Phil

Thanks for the comments guys! fortunately i just checked the weather forecast and apparently tomorrow is only supposed to be "Partly" cloudy...... Hmmmm.... I will have to see it too believe it!

i really thought i would break the curse of clouds with every purchase

And YOU are special because................?

Nope, sorry all the cloud and rain this weekend and for the next couple of weeks is all YOUR FAULT.

Least you admitted to it. I respect that.

*wink*

Lol... just count yourself lucky that your neighbour doesnt light a massive bonfire just as youve started your session, that happend to me once and I was livid! ...lol.. :D

Just keep an eye on the forecast for now, things sometimes change in your favour and you get an unexpected night of perfectly clear skies.

Patience my friend :p

To look on the positive side, you can use the time to really get to know how your scope works, where the knobs are etc, etc. That way, when you do get some clear skies, at least you can make the most of them !

Well my neighbour has a very annoying security light in his back yard which comes on every time his dog twitches so i'm permanently annoyed every time his dog is out. count yourselves lucky :D

Perhaps it is because I have only ever bought used scopes that I don't suffer too much of the curse. Even tonight, whilst we've had patchy cloud all day, I've already caught Venus as low as 5 degrees above the horizon, and had quite a clear view of Saturn, albeit wandering all over the FOV due to the rig movement. AND I bought a shiney new green laser pointer at the ferry port yesterday (which will account for the intermitten cloudage I suppose).

Now I've just got to solve the vibration issue, which I recon will take a few more bits of cardboard to deaden them out fully. And clean the mirror maybe as it looks to have a film over it, and if I'm taking the mirror out I may as well try to remove the slack in the focusing too........

Perhaps my curse takes on a different form...........

Archived