NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M45

OXO

There were clear skies here last night for around an hour and a half, the first of which in what seems months. Conditions were not great what with the glow of the moon highlighting the high clouds that whispered across the sky like cotton string. But hey it was clear and i had to get out whilst i could :laugh:. Setup the the Eq6 and ED80 with a very quick polar alignment which involved sighting up the Mount and moving accordingly to polaris, the Alignment was just good enough for 30 secs exposures which was great as my battery in my remote had died. Took in some views of these beautyful younge stars and the ED80 came up trumps showing pin point stars and a hint of nebula around Alcyone a main seq star like most of the Seven sisters. Whilst my Camera was clicking away i set about using my Binos and took in some splendid views of M31 and the Double Cluster considering the Moon was doing it's best to ruin the observing/imaging it failed as the views were splendid and refreshing after so long without observing. After a while the clouds started to roll in so i stopped the camera at 30 frames taken and packed my gear away a cuppa Tea and Toast was on it's way :wink:.

Here's two images the first showing M45 and Second with some Info on the Image.

Hope you like.

James

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you again for the kind comments :p

Kain,

It's prob better to wait a month from now to get a really nice view of M45 in your Dob also remember having a trained eye help's with seeking out those fine details. One tip for you to try whilst observing M45 and hopefully won't make you dizzy is when observing it keep your eye's following the main bright stars of the seven sisters/pattern this may aid with you seeing more Neb around the Stars also use a low power EP if you can.

MD,

The ED80 is ideal for M45

30 sec images on only a roughly polar aligned mount is about the limit isn't it?

It really was a rough alignment and a bit of luck too i guess, with a better even rough Alignment the EQ6 and ED80 setup should get you at least 45 secs i reakon but you should really try and get as good an alignment as possiable i was just being as quick as i could :wink:...

One for Blog iam honoured thanks :p

James :laugh:

Cheers Anthony,

Setting the bar a bit too high for the rest of us!

Nah iam sure many will get far better images than this soon enough :laugh:

First break in ages last night hopefully it will become a trend and everyone can get out :wink:

Archived