NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rosette, (HaR)GB, rework... a LOT of rework!

SteveL

Having been given "the day off" from looking after our new arrival, I have just spent the ehtire day doing astro related stuff... its been awesome :)

Anyway, one of the things on my to-do list was to spend to more time processing my Rosette data from a while back, taking on board the various comments that have been made about it. Just finished 4 hours of playing with this, and included the following improvements:

- better contrast in the rosette itself

- less "salmon pink", more red

- removed the cyan halos aorund the stars in the left of the image

- added a tiny amount of the Ha into the blue channel (about 12% looked about right)

Also took on board some of the items covered at the SGL Imaging day, specifically the keeping color saturation without losing detail, and the Shadow/Highlight tool, plus managed to get a good star reduction on the image.

So, here we go....

Ha Data

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + Maxim

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 11×900s, Astronomnik 13nm Ha (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

RGB Data

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + Maxim

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 19×600s, Hutech IDAS LPR (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2 + PixInsight + Registar

(Click on image for larger version)

20100327_ngc2237_rosette_hargb_800.jpg

and for reference, this is what the first processing verion looked like

20100307_ngc2237_rosette_hargb_800.jpg

Quite outstanding. We have all seen plenty of Rosettes but I for one have never seen such deep background Ha and the composition makes the most of the two 'horns'.

The new colour is more satisfying, as is contrast within the nebula.

This is an exceptional picture. Magazines, quick!

Olly

Thanks to all for the comments, I wasnt sure if I had pushed the colour saturation just a little too far or not (I am still undecided!). Am quite humbled that some of you choose to use this as your wallpaper.

Archived