Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open University course??

spacetrace

Hello I was wondering if any of you had studied any of the astronomy courses with the open university and if so how did you find them? I was also looking at Observing the Universe - Faculty of Science - The Open University

a field trip to the observatory in mallorca, it certainly looks like fun, in fact has anyone been on the fieldtrip???

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did all the previous incarnations of astronomy related OU courses and can thouroughly recommend them and the OU experience in general. Don't be fooled into thinking the OU may be an easy option in reguards to the workload though, ther's plenty to do.

I also did SXR 208 the Mallorca summer school. Great experience, working all night (half lab and half at the scopes) then back to the hotel about 4 am, just in time for a swift one at the all night bar before watching the sun come up on the beach ;)

I would say to anyone thinking of doing OU summer schools in general do them soon. Due to funding restructuring in higher education many of the OU summer schools may well get the chop. I expect SXR208 will not be around after next year ;)

I am currently studying languages with the OU so understand that they are not easy with the work load. It is a shame if the summer schools are lost as I am sure it offers a great experience and an excellent hands on way of applying what you have learnt and to see it in context. I think I may get myself enrolled onto one soon!

• 4 months later...

I have only done the 10 point course S194 Introducing Astronomy and am in the middle of S196 Planets:An Introduction at the moment.

Really enjoy them, they answer all those bugging questions I asked as a kid and now ;).

I may do other courses in the future unless money restraints dictate otherwise.

steve

I've studied S282, S283 and SXR208. They were all good fun although my chem and bio struggled a bit with S283. I did the Majorca field trip course last year and it was very enjoyable - the only downside was having to write a report afterwards. Do get in quick with that one as it is soon to go.

Dave

Dave,

How did you find S282 & 3 compared with SXR208? i have bought all the course stuff for both on ebay ( paid less than £30 for the lot!) but as of yet have not had a chance to have a good look.

The seller said that S283 was quite heavy on the maths side?

I did the ' discovering science ' level 1 course which was excellent and covered astronomy, physical forces, earth science including global warming, chemical bonding, evolution, and the maths training made me feel like a genius! Highly recommended.

Is anyone doing these courses in order to eventually do a postgraduate course at a University away from home? Any idea how these courses are viewed by other Uni's?

I'm just wondering if these courses are a decent way to get back into education, it's pretty hard once you stop the ball rolling! I'm struggling to figure out which course would suit me since I have some background in Physics higher education, but this being about 4 years ago, not sure If I'f be better off starting from level 1 for a refresher.

Holliday

Ive been doing 10 point courses for a little while just for interest but if I do another 2 courses (6 in total) I obtain a Certificate in Contemporary Science. I have completed Archeaology, fossils and the history of life too so a wide spectrum of subjects to get the certificate, but thats just a bonus after studying subjects that interest me.

If you look through the OU website it gives info on if you can count previous academic qualifications etc.

I think since you have done higher education (A level?) the level 1 course discovering science like 'perrin6' did would be a good starting point.

How they are viewed by other organisations I am unsure, but I think they are way up there its all self study and self motivation that must count for alot.

Start by looking at the online planner to get an idea of what courses you need to achieve your goal. Even the right 10 point course will count towards a higher qualification. Take your time and explore the site.

steve

I studied for a BSc in Earth Science with the OU - took me 9 years but it was worth the struggle - I managed a 2:1 with Honours. The workload is high and the study material is excellent. One of my fellow students had a son who was also studying Earth Science but at a redbrick university, he had a look at his dads coursework and declared it to be every bit as academically demanding as his more conventional degree study material.

It was my OU coursework which renewed my appetite for Astronomy as a fair bit of what we know about the Earths geology came from studying the planets and the moons of the solar system. Since completing my degree studies I have passed the Planetary Science course.

To anyone thinking of taking OU courses my advice is to DO IT - and when the going gets a bit tought keep at it - it will be worth it in the end.

Hi,

I've done the following OU courses as part of my Geosciences Degree. I think a lot of employers admire people who have done OU degrees as it shows you've got ambition & that you can stick to projects in the long haul (5yrs for me whilst working full time! phew!!) The best course of the lot, by far, was SXR208 from the observatory in Mallorca.

S103 SXR103 Intro to Science

S196 (Planets) S194 (Astronomy)

S260 (Geology) S279 (Dynamic planet)

S286 (Planetary Science) SXR208 (Observing the Universe)

S186 - Volcanoes, earthquakes & Tsunami

U316 (Environmental web) & S250 (Science in context)

Definatly do it

Claire

After S194 I think I did archaeology SA188 course, I'm all over the place but it is purely general interest for me.

Theres another Astronomy course havn't done S197 'how the universe' works I think.

I'm doing the planets course at the moment and thats a right headache but I'm learning sooooo much about the solar system.

awsome.

I took the S194: Introducing Astronomy course a couple of years ago. I found it interesting and informative, and a good solid background in the subject.

It's predominantly a theoretical course, but not overly demanding. I wouldn't say there are any real prerequisites, although a reasonable grasp of maths will help in some areas.

Ive just had a look through their webiste and courses and I am seroiusly thinking of taking it up. Hope its not too much maths, i hate maths! :)

Would be nice to have another degree, maybe it will take my job into a different direction.

Archived