NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Open University course??

spacetrace

Well thanks to the positive reviews about the OU here I've decided I should get back into education if I ever want a career I enjoy doing.

Going to start with maths MST121 I think... not sure if it will be too challenging though as the last time I studied Maths was about 7 years ago now in GCSE Maths. But the course before, MU123 is equivalent to GCSE Grade C, so it'll be going back on myself if I do that.

Choices choices!

Ive just had a look through their webiste and courses and I am seroiusly thinking of taking it up. Hope its not too much maths, i hate maths! :)

Would be nice to have another degree, maybe it will take my job into a different direction.

I feel your pain, not a fan of maths myself, sadly it seems to be the language of science. Could always become a theoretical physicist I suppose and make extraordinary claims, like the Universe is part of big cucumber! :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anyone doing these courses in order to eventually do a postgraduate course at a University away from home? Any idea how these courses are viewed by other Uni's?

I'm just wondering if these courses are a decent way to get back into education, it's pretty hard once you stop the ball rolling! I'm struggling to figure out which course would suit me since I have some background in Physics higher education, but this being about 4 years ago, not sure If I'f be better off starting from level 1 for a refresher.

I've a degree in Physics from some time ago (from a normal university) and have been doing some of the OU's level 2 and 3 maths courses as a way of getting back in to education. I'm spending a few years getting that bit of my brain working again hopefully prior to doing a part time PgDip or MSc in Astrophysics at Queen Mary (London). From what informal chats I've had with entrance people for various MSc's the OU courses seemed to be viewed pretty well.

If you have any knowledge of physics/maths at or beyond A-level I would be tempted to skip at least those level 1 courses that are aimed at people with no background in the subject at all.

If you have any knowledge of physics/maths at or beyond A-level I would be tempted to skip at least those level 1 courses that are aimed at people with no background in the subject at all.

I have a Physics A-level, it's my Maths which I'm not too confident at, plus the fact I've worked in retail for 3 or so years now and it's all but destroyed my brain I'm sure of it.

Maths wise I never really applied myself, got a B at GCSE but as I say, this was 7 years go now, not sure how well I'll remember it all so I want to start out 'easy' and get my head around... using my head again! But I don't want to spend money on a course I've already got the equivalent qualification for.

The example Open Degree routes are pretty interesting, something like;

Focus on physics Qualification Route - B27 BSc (Honours) Physical Science - Open University

Is what route I'll hopefully go down, more focussed on Astrophysics though, which I assume is heavily based on maths.

How did you find getting back into Education, tough to get the brain kickstarted again?

How did you find getting back into Education, tough to get the brain kickstarted again?

Actually, I didn't find it too difficult, I think if you have the enthusiasm it is quite easy. That said, doing formal exams again was a bit of a shock! The single biggest obstacle with OU work is finding time when you're not at work, attending to other commitments and are not too tired!

Good luck!

Archived