Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop Zoom

jah79

After chatting to the guys at the Astronomia stand at Astrofest and nearly forking out for basic eyepiece upgrades to my Sky-Watcher kit 10mm + 25mm pieces I came across the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop Zoom and thought WOW!! Not only does it pretty much cover every EP setting I need but can also thread a DSLR directly into it for EP projection photography!

Can anyone recommend this EP or any reason I shouldn't go for it? Is the same true with EPs as with SLR lenses that a prime focus lens of say 32mm will deliver much better optics as a zoom lens at the same setting? Or will the Baader Zoom perform excellently at all settings and deliver great shots with an SLR?

Just need to start saving now! :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was seconds way from buying one (and adaptor) the other day from FLO, but according to Steve, they're like gold-dust at the moment, with suppliers/retailers being promised back-orders from Baader that aren't being fulfilled. I sense a buying rush whenever they do reappear though.

If anyone wants to make me an exorbitant offer for mine, given the apparent shortage, I'm all ears.

Seriously though, it's a great eyepiece for a zoom. The price you pay for all that convenience is a relatively small field of view (though the Baader is better than other zooms on this front). Never had a standard hyperion to compare it with, but the optics themselves are certainly decent, in and of themselves.

Mine only comes out in the daytime for solar viewing, because of the field of view thing. At night I switch to my standard eyepieces.

Mine only comes out in the daytime for solar viewing, because of the field of view thing. At night I switch to my standard eyepieces.

Yep, I intend to use it for birding and general wildlife stuff during the day, and maybe try some lunar/solar imaging with it.

What is the EP's AFOV? ..and what FL scopes are you guys using?

The mention of Lunar and Solar has me suspecting the 'narrow' FOV you mention is a product of your current application of the EP and not necessarily intrinsic to the EP itself.

My main scope's a 432mm focal length f6 refractor, so not guilty on that front. It's narrow relative to the other stuff I could use with similar amounts of glass in.

Those AFOV figures sound comparable to the average for Plossl's etc..

8mmEP in 432mm FL scope = 54x, even @ 50°AFOV, that gives more than 0.9° TFOV... sounds ok to me, would well encompass the full disc of Moon or Sun with room to spare... as verified by 12dstring.me.uk/fov :)

Fantastic result Scott! I can't wait to see how this performs on the Moon and Sun, at it's variable f/l's with the dSLR stuck on the end.

...now I just need my focuser to make it's way from half-way round the world, for Baader to get their act together, and for me to STOP SPENDING MONEY ON OTHER STUFF!!!

/I fell victim to a nice deal on a Tamron 18-270 the other day.

...and a Giottos tripod

...and a Manfrotto head

...and, and, and.

:)

The zoom is a very good EP and matches, in my opinion, the standard Hyperion EPs. The only criticism, although only minor, is the narrow fov at 24mm.

I have had mine for about 15 months and never regretted its purchase. I use it mainly for my PST but if I want a quick grab and go with the WO SD66 or 4" APO frac I will use the zoom.

Its is pricey now and you don't see many S/H on offer which speaks for itself!!

Mark

I had this eyepiece for a while, and I was never disappointed with it really. I found it performed pretty well in my f/5 scope and I used it to replace all the eyepieces I would have needed between 8 and 24mm! Eventually I sold it because of over-whelming temptation to sample an 80° FOV, not because of complaints about the eyepiece itself.

Nowadays we're spoilt by ultra- and mega- wide angle eyepieces, so people tend to find a 50° FOV quite small, but do remember that the ubiquitous plossl also has 50°, that many 8-24mm zooms only have 40° at their longest focal length and none have a larger FOV than the Hyperion!

One thing that irked me somewhat is that it is advertised to be parfocal. This it is emphatically not - you have to refocus as you zoom in and out.

Andrew

Sounds like a great EP. I'm thinking I might sell everything else and keep just the TV and Ortho I got plus this EP.

The fact I can do some lunar/planetary shots with it is an extra incentive. Now I need to wait till my wife forgets my latest purchases. Maybe sell everything I don't need to raise funds too. :)

Works on an f5 refractor and barlows OK too. There is a VERY long post on CloudyNights about this eyepiece and I saw a post on another forum comparing in the daytime to expensive birding zoom eyepieces and it more than held its own against them! I find the lower AFOV at the long end annoying, but that is just my own preference. Being a zoom means I have an excuse not to spend any more money on eyepieces in the 8-16mm range!

Cheers

PEterW

• 2 years later...

I've been looking at one of these lenses,

Time for a silly question: when it says 'direct SLR connection' I'm guessing that means you have your SLR as just the body without its own lens, or does the whole thing go together?

It's what is termed Afocal eyepiece projection and you attach camera + lens

Or you can buy T ring ,extn tube ,SP54 / T2 adapter and dispense with camera lens

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Archived