Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher price rises?

FLO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No probs. I logged in to start a thread about the price rises only to see last years thread still running. I thought I was going nuts! :)

Bloomin heck. Posted at 2:24 am, Steve. Methinks mucho caffine has been consumed !

:(

Andy.

blimey the price of an equinox 80 is now stupid!!

Not your faults I know but..

Bit of a shocker that one.. it was on my shortlist!

Whats that.. 26% :)

No wonder Steve needed a strong coffee..

Is this the way things are likely to go in general? My timing has never been good... should I panic buy now... or sell sell sell :(

...everything coming out of China is going up in massive increments year on year at the mo...

We have toys made out there and they have been talking about increases of 20 - 30% across the board each year for the last couple of years. Partly its increasing material costs but a lot of it is down to the Chinese government suddenly realising how much more money they can make on exports :-(

Looks like a lot of manufacturing is moving to other far east countries and eastern Europe at the mo to counter it.

I bet SW are about as unhappy about it as we all are, though to be honest, having seen what they make, for the prices they do, we are all still getting a damn good deal :-)

We're unfortunately now used to things being cheap as anything, Before Primark you used to have to pay £5 for a t-shirt and £30 for a pair of jeans no matter where you shopped... the last few years have seen prices on most goods pushed unrealistically low... and now we're seeing a re-adjustment to reality unfortunately :-(

Ben

Bit of a shocker that one.. it was on my shortlist!

Whats that.. 26% :(

No wonder Steve needed a strong coffee..

The Skywatcher Equinox 80 price increased more than the other Equinox models but part of that 26% is that we were too cheap. We were selling it at very near cost!

We'll do another price check in a week or two, then adjust accordingly.

Is this the way things are likely to go in general?
Yes, we have enjoyed artificially low prices for a few years now and retailers are currently absorbing some of the increase so I wouldn't be surprised to see another increase later this year, either that or we will lose a dealer or two.

Ben's post describes the situation very well:

...everything coming out of China is going up in massive increments year on year at the mo...

We have toys made out there and they have been talking about increases of 20 - 30% across the board each year for the last couple of years. Partly its increasing material costs but a lot of it is down to the Chinese government suddenly realising how much more money they can make on exports :-(

Looks like a lot of manufacturing is moving to other far east countries and eastern Europe at the mo to counter it.

I bet SW are about as unhappy about it as we all are, though to be honest, having seen what they make, for the prices they do, we are all still getting a damn good deal :-)

We're unfortunately now used to things being cheap as anything, Before Primark you used to have to pay £5 for a t-shirt and £30 for a pair of jeans no matter where you shopped... the last few years have seen prices on most goods pushed unrealistically low... and now we're seeing a re-adjustment to reality unfortunately :-(

Ben

Unfortunately, for us, prices are on the up as Chinese workers now will not work for peanuts and wage bills I heard have almost doubled in the past year.

However I still think there is a long way to go before anyone can readily beat Synta and the like for price/performance.

It takes me a while to decipher them :(

These will almost certainly be our prices for the new Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonians:

Quattro-8S f/4 200mm Dual-Speed Imaging Newtonian (steel tube) : £425

Quattro-8CF f/4 200mm Dual-Speed Imaging Newtonian (carbon-fibre tube) : £625

Quattro-10S f/4 250mm Dual-Speed Imaging Newtonian (steel tube) : £545

Quattro-10CF f/4 250mm Dual-Speed Imaging Newtonian (carbon-fibre tube) : £845

Quattro-12S f/4 300mm Dual-Speed Imaging Newtonian (steel tube) : TBA

We still don't have an official ETA but are predicting delivery sometime soon.

Sadly this has nothing to do with costs, just another case of ripping off the UK customers.

ED APO Optical Tubes

a 100ED in the US costs the same as a 80ED here!

When are the Government going to grow a backbone and do something about this?

Those prices in that link are comparable to here, when you convert them to £ and add 20% vat . In fact the 80mm is £50 cheaper here and the 120mm is nearly £200 cheaper here !!!!

:icon_scratch:Andy.

Those prices in that link are comparable to here, when you convert them to £ and add 20% vat . In fact the 80mm is £50 cheaper here and the 120mm is nearly £200 cheaper here !!!!

:icon_scratch:Andy.

Didn't add the tax! (in my view a tellescope is an essential purchase and not just a luxury so should be excempt from VAT!)

My point is the price we pay as a consumer in the UK is always more! Even if just through VAT. The extra we pay for cars is a prime example.

"Didn't add the tax! (in my view a tellescope is an essential purchase and not just a luxury so should be excempt from VAT!)"

:(

"My point is the price we pay as a consumer in the UK is always more! Even if just through VAT. The extra we pay for cars is a prime example."

Can't dissagree with you on that :D

It could be worse. Have you seen some astro prices in europe?:)

Andy.

Archived