Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

You are not going to believe this!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, in terms of practicality, I could actually imagine something more like:

Buy 40" New Technology Telescope (Alt-Az Folded Newtonian)

I cannot honesty see the attraction in clinging to a ladder 18 feet in the air? Not that it effects me! LOL. But semi-seriously, the idea of oversized secondaries, diverting the light "somewhere" (convenient) seem intriguing. Folded optics? A Dob-Cassegrain? :hello2:

Its worth taking a look at Normand Fullum's website for some details on the dobs he manufactures. Not surprisingly he has a non-disclosure agreement with Orion concerning the scopes he will be making for them but there is still a lot of info on his mirrors etc.

http://www.normandfullumtelescope.com/mirror_en.html

John

His Wooden telescopes are works of art!

Can you imagine building the thing you'd need to house scopes this size in, there's no way I'd want to dismantle and move them around all the time. Maybe if you were wealthy and lived in the country:):hello2::)

I like the bit about needing a forklift truck or a bunch of friends for delivery!

Yeah....I you get one I'll be your friend!

Hell.... I'll be your dog! (woof woof woof wo-wo-woof woof)

LOL And if a woman bought it..... :hello2:

...she'd drop her false eyelashes on it whilst putting on her face and would be in need of a huge lens pen to get all the smudges off afterwards.

That's what you meant, isn't it Billy?:)

Here's a couple of photos of one of the 36" mirrors in production.

So it should cool pretty fast - especially if a fan is used to circulate air through the space inside the mirror. Cool - and practical as a way of reducing the weight!

Archived