NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hilarious debate on astrophotography 101 on BBC blog

jah79

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just re-read it and there are a couple of things I like:-

1. The rate of meteors is 1 per minute therefore I MUST have captured some - he is not taking into account field of view or magnitude of the meteors.

2. "The camera will only record something which remains still for long enough. Anything of extreme high speed requires a fast shutter speed or flash photography. " - Love it! ignores the fact high magnitude meteors appear on photos, the fact that the perceived velocity from ground level will be different from actual velocity and experience of hundreds of pictures taken on these forums.

great fun

Neil

who was it got lucky and took that photo of an actual lightning stirke just in front of their camera, can't remember if it was here or another astro forum. i'd like to see him explain that. someone please point him to our image section

Well, I guess I'm another "one percenter" here? LOL. After the initial, laudable, attempts at "factual conversion", the comments [iMO] took on more the form of an... "internet mobbing"? Did either "side" really cover themselves in glory? An internet TROLL, or a bloke who genuinely (misguidedly) believed what he was saying. Who knows? :D

Such things do happen. I remember once posting an airbrush picture of my "favourite plane" on CN. Boy, did THAT thread take on a life of it's own! I never CLAIMED it was a real photo, but then the "old timers" started. By the time they had finished, I had been derided using language from "race theory" books, moderated, "lectured" by two moderators re. disrespect from (54 y.o) "young people" and (potentially) upsetting "someone's friend"! My was post deleted and even the "Head Honcho" had his two penn'roth. Apparently, I am still allowed to be a member of CN... ;)

Of course, all the above is irrelevant (but MIGHT amuse!). Simply I think (agree!) it might be a positive step to invite these people HERE (perhaps?). What, to me, seem instinctive truths are not so obvious to "Joe/Jill Public". Many on t'internet are indeed "sure 'nuff nutters" but perhaps with a bit of work? Failing that, a cyber kicking behind the bike sheds? :)

Mixed feelings. Joking aside, might astronomers not present a FRIENDLIER image. I am SURE many can and do work on it (outreach thingies?) FAR more than I [ever could]. Scientific integrity need no be lost by cutting people a bit of slack? :D

I'm sitting here pulling my hair out:mad: I took approximately 400 30 second exposures on the same night. Couldn't see any geminids at the time so binned the lot. Now I understand they where there all the time. Can someone please help me to recover this important data from my hard drive! Gutted:D

Scott

I have mixed feelings about this. I beleive this conversation began very reasonably and most people would have realised their error and taken the point. Some will never change their view as they are always right. On a serious note and having done some wildlife photography in the past it can be annoying when people pass something off which isn't as it seems. Animal pictures taken in captavity for instance and passed off as taken in the wild.

I am assuming in this case a simple mistake/lack of knowledge but it can be annoying when you spend hours trying to capture an image and don't get it:( yet someone else is prepared to try and fake it!

Scott:)

Just to re-iterate, I have invited those involved onto the forum, without prejudice, and without stating an opinion on the pictures.
We'll see if they take us up!

On the subject of doing stupid things in astronomy, well I may have already related this: as a diehard star-hopper, I've had those nights when I just cannot find the DSO I'm looking for. In my frustration, I've been known to shine my torch up at the sky in the hope of picking it out...:D

Can anyone beat that?

I think you are all very nasty! my friend at work believed thunder was clouds banging together..we gently re-educated him (he was 30 at the time)...but things like that you can be told as a child and then not rethink your beliefs...so be careful what you tell your children!

Although I have a 12 year ongoing advertising campaign against my niece where I keep telling her I am the best uncle in the world ever...its not fair shes not buying it...

NC

o.0 thunder is not the clouds banging together?

i guess u learn something new every day lol

We'll see if they take us up!

On the subject of doing stupid things in astronomy, well I may have already related this: as a diehard star-hopper, I've had those nights when I just cannot find the DSO I'm looking for. In my frustration, I've been known to shine my torch up at the sky in the hope of picking it out...:D

Can anyone beat that?

Yup...that's pretty bad and you are a very brave boy for admitting it.:)

But as I've done much worse (see the 710 thread in the Lounge) I can hardly point the finger.:D

The first time I ever used my telescope, I left it outside to cool down with the lens cap off. It was nice and dewy by the time I went outside. Lovely. ;)

Yup...that's pretty bad and you are a very brave boy for admitting it.:)

But as I've done much worse (see the 710 thread in the Lounge) I can hardly point the finger.:D

The first time I ever used my telescope, I left it outside to cool down with the lens cap off. It was nice and dewy by the time I went outside. Lovely. ;)

nope i did that 2 :D

Hi everyone. Noob here!

I'm the guy who made the first comment on the BBC page. It was polite and an honest opinion. I seem to have a knack of sitting next to the wierd guy on the bus too :D(

I'm a lazy laid back AA of five years and have a TAL2M. I hope to make sensible additions to your debates from time to time.

My other hobbies are photography and acoustic guitar.

Regards

L

78. At 4:36pm on 18 Dec 2009, noahelkanahpops wrote:Thanks for the compliment. Politics does not appeal to me, too many false claims!I am beginning to tire of photography though. I may go into astronomy, much more interesting group of people and much friendlier than photographers judging by the comments.

He may yet change his mind when he reads this !:D

I had a geminid flash across my DSLR screen last night after seeing how Pleiades came out at 5fps ISO 1600 (7 nice clean stars - and nothing else, FYI). Unfortunately I wasn't recording at the time - is there some way I can use this image?

Archived