Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

FLO

Yes, the HitecAstro EQDIR adapter requires only 5v which is easily obtained from the USB socket. 5v is not enough to damage the mount. If I understand this correctly, other adapters require 12v which is drawn from the mount.

Yes. RS232 based adaptors take 12V from the mount. Note that there is no inherent problem in taking 12V from the mount - the supply line provided to power the handset when fitted and the EQDIRECT devices use less power than the handset. The signaling levels to the mount are always 5V TTL

HITEC are not the first to produce USB based EQDIRECT units and of the others available, both commercial and self build, all work in exactly the same way as the HITEC unit. It would be wrong to claim this as a unique selling feature. I'm sure the price and service are a good enough reasons to see off the current competition (other than self build) in the UK.

Chris.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be wrong to claim this as a unique selling feature.

I'll be very careful not to :icon_eek:

Sometime ago we had a rather infamous incident here on SGL where someone bought a secondhand self-assembly (I think) EQDIR adapter and for one reason or another (probably a misunderstanding or user error) blew his brand new EQ6 mount's board. There was a great deal of angst and recrimination betweeen him and the person who sold it to him so I was pleased when I heard this module runs on only 5V.

Can anyone let me know if they can get there HitecAstro EQDIR to connect. Mine is showing up in my device manager as USB-Serial Controller D but with no drivers for it. Not sure where I'm going wrong. I've downloaded all the ASCOM and EQASCOM bits and go through the setup for my particular astro software but no joy.

Can anyone let me know if they can get there HitecAstro EQDIR to connect. Mine is showing up in my device manager as USB-Serial Controller D but with no drivers for it. Not sure where I'm going wrong. I've downloaded all the ASCOM and EQASCOM bits and go through the setup for my particular astro software but no joy.

I'm having the same problem, as well as selecting a telescope driver - this is probably the wrong thread though, equipment help will probably get you your answers! :icon_eek:

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know I have it working now. I was given a link to a driver on the EQMOD forum. http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO%20Cable/PL-2303/Drivers%20-%20Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.zip

I installed this and then connected my EQDIR which windows then recognised and installed on com port 8. Then just went through the steps to connect within my astro software.

Hope that helps.

Simon.

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know I have it working now. I was given a link to a driver on the EQMOD forum. http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO%20Cable/PL-2303/Drivers%20-%20Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.zip

I installed this and then connected my EQDIR which windows then recognised and installed on com port 8. Then just went through the steps to connect within my astro software.

Hope that helps.

Simon.

Cheers Simon - I'll give that a go now! :icon_eek:

The driver Simon links to is necessary, assuming it isn't already on your PC. Perhaps we should include a disk with the driver or a note mentioning its web address.

This is a new product from a new company so if you have any feedback or suggestions for ourselves or HitecAstro please feel free to post them here.

Also, the product ought to have a sticker with the HitecAstro name and contact details. The stickers are late arriving but when we receive them we'll post one to everyone who has bought an adapter.

HTH :icon_eek:

Nick suggested to the developer 5 weeks ago... (I know a bit about drivers...having worked on their development for 15 years!)

FLO have been superb on this one, as per usual... and I hope they continue to driver the development forward in the positive ways they are doing

That'll be my fault then, they did send me a disk with the driver sometime ago - sorry.

The link to the driver is now on our website, it is easy to download but if anybody has difficulty I'll happily email it to them :icon_eek:

Just to add, this is the first time I've ever dabbled in the EQDIR field and I have been playing with my mount (ooer) connected up to my pc all morning and I have had no probelms what so ever. It connects up every time and hasnt lost connection at all. I now understand what people mean when they have said once you've tried EQMOD you never go back.

Thanks Steve for a great product at an even greater price.

How does one program the mount to know what time it is, where it is, DST and all that stuff!!!?
You don't. The PC that is attached to the mount takes the place of the handset so it manages positioning, time, slewing etc... Just think of the PC (with associated stellarium software and ASCOM driver) as a handset on steroids... :icon_eek:

While I wait here for the FEDEX person to arrive.... What have people found to be the best software to use with EQMod?

I've heard alot about The Sky, but is sellarium as good? I'm sure it is, but I've not used it with EQMod...

Thanks

Michael

While I wait here for the FEDEX person to arrive.... What have people found to be the best software to use with EQMod?

I've heard alot about The Sky, but is sellarium as good? I'm sure it is, but I've not used it with EQMod...

Thanks

Michael

Well I'm using CdC, but i'll be honest and say I've hit a complete brick wall with it at the moment - when I get to the telescope interface stage, I don't recognise what I meant to select.......so maybe the other software people use is easier to configure!!!!

MG1 - Anything that controls an ASCOM mount will work with EQMOD (as EQMOD is really an ASCOM mount driver). I use TheSky and Starry Night Pro Plus 6 for mount control, am sure someone will be along shortly to explain how to use Stellarum for mount control too

Ant - the PC has the correct time, and you can manually set up your GPS location in EQMOD (you can also use a NMEA compatible GPS to provide EQMOD with real GPS location)

eqmod-gps-setup.gif

well looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Just popped into hall because local free rag came through door and noticed a FEDex card. Lordy only knows why they didn't ring bell or knock door. Useless!

It has 12:50 on the time, but I've been in all day. Funny how its always the biggest names that let you down. Never had a problem with Citylink or Parcelforce, but FEDex and AMtrack seem to constantly dissapoint me. Hey ho at least it means I'll go for a beer now and not be tempted to fiddle when I get in! :icon_eek:

I'm also a recent convert to EQMOD and use the wireless numeric pad in preference to the gamepad.

I have TheSkyV6 and CdC V3. My preference is CdC; connects first time, easy screen to use and you can add your own "special" labels to the stars. It's certainly been fun so far..not a problem!

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

Neither TheSky or Stellarium support ASCOM in the native forms but both can be made to "talk" ASCOM using via extra plugins.

For Stellarium this is quite easy - you just use an application call StellariumScope - http://www.welshdragoncomputing.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=39

TheSky is more of a pain, not least because of Software Bisques hostile attitude to ASCOM (don't even bother asking them for help). Essentially you need to replace a file called teleapi.dll with one from the ASCOM site. There are then some windows configuration issues that may need to be addressed. Full details are on the EQMOD Y! group.

CDC is one of the easiest to get going and would be my recommended starting point.

Chris.

Steve,

Just wanted to say thanks for your speedy and efficient service (again!). Placed an order on your website at 15:00 on Wednesday and had the adapter delivered at 09:00 the next morning!...that's what I call service....

I've spent most of the day at work :icon_eek: reading through the EQMOD_doc http://www.welshdragoncomputing.ca/eqmod/EQMOD_Doc_2009.pdf

which I would say is essential reading for anyone wanting to get to grips with EQMod, really well writen and seems to cover just about everything. There's mention of the use of a GPS device which apparently is very usefull for maintaining an accurate time as well as positioning. I've got a permanent setup and had never really considered any benefit in using one of these but the above doc does seem to state some good resons even in a permanent for using one.

I can see there's a Skywatcher unit on FLO...anyone know if there are any alternative devices available that may be slightly cheaper ?

Steve

Archived