Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

FLO

I use a SIRF3 unit from ebay, works fine. Its really a prolific USB-to-Serial unit with the GPS on the far end of it, so the drivers for the EQDIR module here will also detect the GPS unit when it is plugged in. Mine is very similar to this one.

Waterproof GPS RECEIVER reciever USB Laptop SIRF 3 on eBay (end time 05-Dec-09 19:30:00 GMT)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to which software to use with EQMOD.. I've tried the following:

• Starry Night 6. Tends to use a lot of CPU, but looks nice. Best subjective view of the sky, but can be a little complex to work. Works well with EQASCOM.
  • TheSky6. \ bit more simplistic and the display isn't quite as good, but uses almost no CPU (good for an older laptop) and the UI is great being able to toggle full screen with a single touch of the spacebar. Works well with EQASCOM with the correct plugin.
  • Stellarium. Crippled my 1.4GHz laptop so much I didn't perceiver with it.
  • CdC. More scientific in it's presentation (stars are shown like astar map rather than brighter/darker). Great if you are familiar with star map notation, a bit more difficult if not. Seems to work well with EQASCOM, but not fully tested.

I have to say, TheSky (with the correct dll) is my favourite...

Steve,

Just wanted to say thanks for your speedy and efficient service (again!)... ...that's what I call service....

Same here... ordered yesterday, received today. Superb.

Now I just need to figure out the "scope not detected on COM4" bit. :icon_eek:

Stellarium. Crippled my 1.4GHz laptop so much I didn't perceiver with it.

I have it running on my creaky old field-abused work's IBM T42 (P4M 1.6/512/40GB). It runs fine as a standalone, but it does feel a little sluggish when piggy-backed with StellariumScope controlling the scope.

Just tried my latest EQDIR module with a powered active 5V hub, which works with every other device I use...

NADA

Works directly connected to the ASUS, but not via the hub, which is somewhat annoying..

I've just started using EQMOD it's definitely the way to go judging by the first nights use... so accurate compared to the handset.

Wondering whether it may be useful to have an EQMOD sub-forum? There's so much information for people to take in, I know I found it a bit tricky to get my head around it all.

Jordan

As to which software to use with EQMOD.. I've tried the following:
  • Starry Night 6. Tends to use a lot of CPU, but looks nice. Best subjective view of the sky, but can be a little complex to work. Works well with EQASCOM.

It doesnt have to use a lot of CPU, its just the default screen frame rate is IMHO far too high to be useful.

snpp6-screenrefresh.gif

Wondering whether it may be useful to have an EQMOD sub-forum? There's so much information for people to take in, I know I found it a bit tricky to get my head around it all.

Probably best to join the Yahoo EQMOD mailing list for more indepth questions and answers.

Same here... ordered yesterday, received today. Superb.

Now I just need to figure out the "scope not detected on COM4" bit. :icon_eek:

control panel > system > hardware > device manager, then find the COM controller. Expand it with the [+] symbol and after the title it should tell you which COM port it's connected to [e.g. COM5]

Then in the EQMOD set-up menu you can change the COM port used (i.e. change it to COM5).

Andrew

Just a note for Mac users (like me)...I know all about the EQMOD woes for Mac and I am also a software developer. I have been working on an EQMOD-clone for the Mac, which I currently have slightly working. It controls my EQ3 synscan mount using a homemade EQDIR device and does not use the hand controller at all.

The software currently isn't very functional, but I have figured out how to control the mount using a serial protocol (which is what that pesky DLL does on Windows). I aim to improve this software incrementally as I find time. If there is any interest on this group I can make betas available for people to test, which would mean being able to support more mounts than just mine.

Regards,

David

Okay, I think I've sorted myself out now and EQMOD is working on both win7 (64bit Ultimate) and vista (32bit Business) in its raw ASCOM form using the EQDir from FLO.

I thought it may help others if I explain the processes I went through to get it working for me as I think there will be quite a few peeps like me who found the EQMod forum a little daunting.

1> installed ASCOM platform 5a from here:

http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm

2> updated to platform 5.5 RC4 here:

http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/PlatformUpdates.htm

3> installed EQASCOM v1.18k from here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EQMOD/files/A%20EQMOD%20Release/EQASCOM/

4> Looked up the port for the EQDir (prolific USB-to-Serial...) in the

Device Manager> Portts (COM & LPT)

5> ran Setup EQASCOM from Start>EQMOD>EQASCOM>Scripts

Put in the correct port number for my EQDir (mine was COM3)

Filled in other site info then clicked OK

6> Checked connections and turned on mount

7> ran EQASCOM_run from EQMOD folder in Start Menu (bar appears in bottom left of screen and EQMOD interface springs into life)

8> smiled to myself that I'd figured this out and promised to write this up in the hope that it may help someone else.

It's also worth remembering that there are quite a few bits within the sytem that can cause it to go wrong. I've been blaming the software all day for what turned out to be a dodgy USB cable. SO before sending anything back, double check with other cables first.

Hope that helps. Now I'm going to try and get the telescope interface to work with various other packages. First up Stellarium because it's free!

Clear Skies :icon_eek:

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the appalling weather, the obsy setup (roof goes back in 10 seconds flat!) has afforded me the chance to try EQMOD out with the direct connection method (via handbox 3.25), and it's incredibly impressive. Re-set the mount position based on my sat nav, and set CDC/EQMOD to as close to those coordinates (matching), and it's hitting objects pretty close to bang on in a 9mm illuminated EP now (modelled agaist 12 stars for alignment at the mo)

Love the mount stop/horizon modelling too..

• 1 month later...

Back when we announced this new product we offered it with a 60-day money-back guarantee. It has now been a little over 60-days and the HitecAstro EQDIR has been in FLO's top-ten best sellers throughout this period. Other than NickH's (he had the very first to arrive) we have not received a single return :)

Today we are expecting deliveries of other HitecAstro products including two dew controllers and the HitecAstro Mount Hub PRO. We'll update FLO's website then mention them here in the Sponsors section soon.

As with the EQDIR adapter, all HitecAstro products purchased through First Light Optics will include a 60-day money-back guarantee.

We haven't heard of any incompatibility issues but we passed on your observations. David of HitecAstro spoke with the chip manufacturer when he visited them in Asia. Their advice to those who find their USB hub is not compatible is:

Plug the EQDIR into the USB hub, plug in all your other items, power the hub/mount/etc, then after everything else plug the EQDIR unit into the mount. They say this should overcome any hub compatibility problems.

not a solution though, as it works with all my other kit...

had similar debates with many other companies...hear it all the time "works for me guv"...

But in this case, I will fold, as you guys have been terrific with support

:-)

Please don't misunderstand, we accept completely that the adapter is not compatible with your hub :)

We also accept that there might be other hubs out there that are not 100% compatible. Fortunately it is not a common occurrence as we have not had any other returns.

Archived