NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

FLO

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you wondering about the difference between this and the "normal" EQDIR interface, its USB, so you don't need a USB-SERIAL cable in the way or a cardbus adapter in the lappy!!

You'll all love some forthcoming articles then :-)

Ascom platform, CDC (Cartes du Ciel) and this idea of direct control on the mount work very well indeed, and if you run it on a netbook, (which works fine), not much to lug about

Netbooks have typically 3 USB ports, this on one, with pulse guide via ascom, decent guide cam on two, and imaging cam on three...sorted

Your picture Helen shows another advantage of this new EQDIR adapter, it's plug doesn't project far from the mount so it is less likely to be knocked or to catch on other cables. Back when it was being developed we took a pre-production sample to Kelling where a number of SGL members assessed it and offered constructive criticism, one of the outcomes was that the plug was changed to one with a lower profile and an offset cable.

Regarding other HitecAstro products: Next week we will have our first delivery of their new dew heater controller. When we last spoke with them it had four independently adjustable heater outputs. There is also an impressively spec'ed 'Mount Hub PRO' which incorporates dew heater tape sockets, 12V power sockets and focus motor control. The unit will be operable both manually and via a PC.

I may be wrong but I believe an advantage of this interface is that it takes its power from the USB port rather than from the mount.

Mike

If they are anything like the FTDI based "self build" EQDIRECT-USB that would be the case. Not sure where the advantage lies though.

One thing to bear in mind is that with a USB base EQDIR you're limited to 5m USB cable lengths from PC to mount (unless using active repeaters or hubs). EQDIRECT-232s can be driven over greater distances (provided the EQDIRECT itself is close to the mount) - horses for courses.

Chris

I may be wrong but I believe an advantage of this interface is that it takes its power from the USB port rather than from the mount.

Yes, power is from the USB port. If I understand this correctly the advantage is that there is no risk of electrical damage to the mount... I'll check with them when next we speak.

You'll all love some forthcoming articles then :-)

Ascom platform, CDC (Cartes du Ciel) and this idea of direct control on the mount work very well indeed, and if you run it on a netbook, (which works fine), not much to lug about

Netbooks have typically 3 USB ports, this on one, with pulse guide via ascom, decent guide cam on two, and imaging cam on three...sorted

Filter Wheel???:icon_eek:

This hub sounds interesting, I have just ordered the accufocus for my ED80, was about to order the ASCOM based focus control from Shoestring, but if this will work (as you know from your skywatcher version of the accufocus, it's a different socket to the regular 3.5mm pin type) and has ASCOM support, I may get this one from you, as it will solve a few other problems at the same time

This hub sounds interesting, I have just ordered the accufocus for my ED80, was about to order the ASCOM based focus control from Shoestring, but if this will work (as you know from your skywatcher version of the accufocus, it's a different socket to the regular 3.5mm pin type) and has ASCOM support, I may get this one from you, as it will solve a few other problems at the same time

We'll be happy to send you one of the new hubs to try Nick, if you don't mind. We know you will be thorough and critical so your feedback will be valuable.

That's very kind Steve...I will give it as good a kicking as other recent review products... :-)

For the record, I just bought the Hotech Laser (superb bit of kit) and have been testing the EQDIR module

Yes, power is from the USB port. If I understand this correctly the advantage is that there is no risk of electrical damage to the mount... I'll check with them when next we speak.

Yes, the HitecAstro EQDIR adapter requires only 5v which is easily obtained from the USB socket. 5v is not enough to damage the mount. If I understand this correctly, other adapters require 12v which is drawn from the mount.

Archived