Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics SPX200

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need another counterweight though hehe. The CG5 struggles a little so i might have to look at swapping it for a HEQ5/EQ6 which is a shame as i've only just brought the blumming thing! The dob base isn't quite finished yet as i need to mess around with the bearings a little so no first light tonight other than a wobbly view of the moon whilst the sky was still blue. First impressions are good though. Anyone want to swap me there EQ6 for my CG5? :)

I need another counterweight though hehe. The CG5 struggles a little so i might have to look at swapping it for a HEQ5/EQ6 which is a shame as i've only just brought the blumming thing! The dob base isn't quite finished yet as i need to mess around with the bearings a little so no first light tonight other than a wobbly view of the moon whilst the sky was still blue. First impressions are good though. Anyone want to swap me there EQ6 for my CG5?

hmmm i know that feeling. Just bought this Revelation 8 OTA (8" f6) and the LXD75 could do with changing for a HEQ5 Pro :? :? :? :? Anyone want to trade their HEQ5 Skyscan with a cash adjustment :Envy::) :) :) :)

That looks a mighty nice scope Gordon. But bleddy heck is that scope long!

Russ

hehe

How are you finding the HEQ5? Is it significantly lighter than the EQ6? Not sure how much of a difference the 20lb capacity as opposed to the 30lb capacity would make

I've just set up it ready for tonight for the first time, my first impression is that theres a big difference in what the two mounts can comfortably "take". On the other hand it's a lot lighter and easier to setup than the EQ6. I'd say its closer in most repects to an EQ5 rather than to an EQ6, its also smaller than I imagined it would be from just seeing pictures of it.

I think a bigger tripod would be needed if you really wanted to push the mount, that would be the first thing to "go" as you stared putting bigger loads on it IMHO.

Sorry Gorgon, my camera gave up the ghost earlier this week. The mounts look pretty similar as regards looks (a few differences but nothing major). What I meant by being "closer to an EQ5" was to do with size and weight capacity rather than cosmetically.

hehe

How are you finding the HEQ5? Is it significantly lighter than the EQ6? Not sure how much of a difference the 20lb capacity as opposed to the 30lb capacity would make

I've just set up it ready for tonight for the first time, my first impression is that theres a big difference in what the two mounts can comfortably "take". On the other hand it's a lot lighter and easier to setup than the EQ6. I'd say its closer in most repects to an EQ5 rather than to an EQ6, its also smaller than I imagined it would be from just seeing pictures of it.

Gaz, do you think it would take your (ex) 10" newtonian?

As it is, no TBH Steve. It might be one of those marginal calls where some people are OK with it and some arn't, but I doubt it. Put it this way, I don't intend letting the 10" SCT anywhere near it. :) But I can can be a fussy so and so about vibrations.

A fair bit of the HEQ5 is made of plastic where all of the EQ6 is made of metal, it all takes away from the mass and the ability to take load. Thats not a critism as the plastic isn't the "cheap" type and makes the mount lighter and easier to handle but I'd guess the mount is capable of (for a fussy git!!) a 8" Newt, 9.25 SCT (the Celestrons are lighter) or a 6" f8 refractor. I've just put my 6" f8 frac on for a quick look at the Moon before the thunder clouds arrive (it's one of those nights up here) and the mount is fine with it but I can't see anything much bigger being OK. The tripod is the same as the new EQ5's and feels too small for the mount, maybe with a bigger tripod you could push the mount more. If you're looking for something to put your 10" Dob under I'd get an EQ6 or look at a HEQ5 and 2" steel tripod.

• 4 weeks later...

A fair bit of the HEQ5 is made of plastic where all of the EQ6 is made of metal, it all takes away from the mass and the ability to take load. .

I don't quite understand. Where are...............................................................(sorry i was carried away by your avatar... :D) the plastic parts in the HEQ5? True, the EQ6 is much heavier then a HEQ5 and they are a different breed but i don't notice much plastic on the HEQ5, or are there somewhere inside??

Archived