Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

where can you buy eyepiece caps?

chrisrnuttall

If you don't care at all what it looks like, the colored plastic caps from supermarket 500ml milk bottles are just the right size to cap the eye end of common Plossl eyepieces from Celestron, etc. :icon_biggrin:

Will certainly serve till you order the proper ones from abroad.

Somebody may be missing a chance to import some caps cheaply from the source (China) stamp his business logo on them and then give them away to potential customers (like a lot of companies do with ballpoint pens).

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 18/08/2017 at 07:32, 1CM69 said:

I know this is an old thread but I came across it when trying to find a UK supplier for 2" end caps myself.

Eventually I broadened my search and found this supplier: Vital Parts

I have just placed an order for 10 x CAP099 31.76mm or 1.25" & 5 x CAP123 50.8mm or 2" caps with VAT £18 and free 3 to 5 day shipping.

MIN order value is £15 but these caps are always handy to have, so easy to make up an order.

I'll post up images when they arrive.

Would you mind letting me know what you searched for to find Vital Parts?   We're looking for a supplier here in the US, and I'm not exactly sure what search terms I should use.  Thanks.  

21 hours ago, jgroub said:

Would you mind letting me know what you searched for to find Vital Parts?   We're looking for a supplier here in the US, and I'm not exactly sure what search terms I should use.  Thanks.  

I'll second the recommendation for https://eyepiececaps.com/.  I ordered their $20 eyepiece cap and plug bundle.  It arrived quickly and all the various bits fit perfectly.

On 27/12/2018 at 08:52, Louis D said:

I'll second the recommendation for https://eyepiececaps.com/.  I ordered their $20 eyepiece cap and plug bundle.  It arrived quickly and all the various bits fit perfectly.

Right, but I'm at a scope store myself - Mile High Astronomy, in Denver.  We're looking for the ultimate supplier, not another vendor, like us.  That is, unless you happen to know where eyepiececaps.com gets their stuff from . . . 

10 minutes ago, jgroub said:

Right, but I'm at a scope store myself - Mile High Astronomy, in Denver.  We're looking for the ultimate supplier, not another vendor, like us.  That is, unless you happen to know where eyepiececaps.com gets their stuff from . . . 

Their caps appear to be very similar to those from StockCap.  Search for vinyl caps OR plugs wholesale to look for other manufacturers.

Thanks Shane ?.

Clear is fine, it's that yellow I couldn't put up with myself..:evil4:

These look as if they would fit the bottom of most, if not all, 1.25" barrels. However, the ones I struggle with are the top ones, as so many eyepieces have different widths across the eyepiece lens end?

Dave

6 hours ago, F15Rules said:

..But are they only available in that awful yellow colour?? How about, er, black???

Dave

Yellow is awesome! Much easier to see to in the dark.

I bought a couple of 1.875” for my Ethos/Delos/Delites and 2”ers for miscellaneous 2” fittings and ending up using the 2” ones on the eyepieces as they are a lot easier to get off but still stay on well enough over the eyeguards. I wish I’d bought more, especially 1.25” ones for all my 1.25” EPs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You have to be careful with those flexible vinyl caps.

If the eyepiece has a lens in the lower barrel that is near the end of the eyepiece, the case will press the eyepiece cap into contact with the lens and leave a smudge.

ES has had this issue and switched to hard caps on those eyepieces.  APM and Stellarvue have that problem currently with their 20mm 100° eyepieces.

• Like 1

I ordered these caps last week, straight from the source, i have connections with the company. I mean i have the ali express app on my phone.   Anyway, they arrived yesterday.  14 pieces for £16,-    All the right sizes i hope, used a caliper on all my cap-less ep’s, and the seller offered all sizes in steps of a mm, but havent been able to open the package and check them.  I had these caps already, and i guess they are also the standard cap for SW and Cel finderscopes.   I’m not sure if i find these really flexible btw.  The pictured caps, those i already had, are actually more sturdy than some of the original caps from  various eyepiece brands.  But maybe the molds are used with various grades of plastics/rubber, thát i dont know.  

D6B18947-0189-49F5-AF41-65C7B07B4DC7.png

Edited by Robindonne

• 2 years later...

An old thread but for my penneth worth , I bought some off AliExpress . I needed some at 33.7mm & 37mm  as my meade lenses were in bulky   bolt cases.

Protective Cover Lens Binoculars | Protect Eyepiece Binoculars - 1pcs Lens Anti-dust - Aliexpress

Caps and Eyecups - Shop Cheap Caps and Eyecups from China Caps and Eyecups Suppliers at Amoyca Microscope Camera and adapter on Aliexpress.com

Edited by Naughty Neal

3 hours ago, skybadger said:

Also look for flip top caps you can leave on, typically sold for rifle sights but perfect for eyepieces of various dimensions. I leave them on my common use eyepieces all the time.

Pictures please!

• Like 1

Don’t know if these were the ones Mike was referring to as there are some hard plastic hinged types sold for rifle scopes, but these are nice if a bit pricey (3-4£ each) They are rubbery and come in lots of sizes- there’s an ebay seller with a large range. I use a larger one for my finder scope. You could cut the tether part off if it annoys and it makes a very nice ep cap and being rubbery tolerates some size mismatch

Mark

1ACBA057-2DC6-46D1-B8BF-89374BDEB2A0.jpeg

C5276BEC-49D6-45CC-921E-BC1F225555A8.png

• Like 3

These are they. They are rigid ish  but stretch to fit snugly in eyepieces and then flip up and out of the way. Similarly priced at 3-4  each. Found on Amazon and ali.20230329_192154.thumb.jpg.83ea98b47f8b3e8f73d25f81ce0b9720.jpg

20230329_192205.thumb.jpg.9c3e9c3c76cc4181982dda47526c6db2.jpg

Edited by skybadger
  • Like 2