Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Double Cluster & M45 From Kelling

Paxo

Due to work commitments, I've only just got around to processing the data from the Sunday night at Kelling. Had an irritating technical problem on the night where the guidecamera needed manually starting following each main camera download, spent 30 mins trying to fathom then decided it was a pain to do but it was better than getting no data.

Tech details:

Imaging Scope: WO FLT110 with TMB Field flattener

Imaging Camera: SX-VR H36

Guidescope: WO Megrez72

Guidecamera: Atik 314L

Software: Guiding and capture through Maxim 5

Mount: EQ6 Pro controlled with EQMOD

Image Details

Double Cluster

Luminance: 10 x 180 secs

Red: 10 x 180 secs

Green: 10 x 180 secs

Blue: 10 x 180 secs

M45

Luminance: 10 x 300 secs

Red: 10 x 120 secs binned 2x2

Green: 10 x 120 secs binned 2x2

Blue: 10 x 120 secs binned 2x2

Both combined in DSS and processed in Photoshop CS. Click on the images for a larger version.

Double Cluster in Perseus

paxo-albums-sxvr-h36-picture2966-double-cluster-perseus-20-september-2009-kelling-heath.jpg

in closeup:

paxo-albums-sxvr-h36-picture2967-double-cluster-closeup-20-september-2009-kelling-heath.jpg

M45

paxo-albums-sxvr-h36-picture2968-m45-20th-september-2009-kelling-heath.jpg

Difficult processing this one as there is so much faint nebulosity all around the image, but in particular at the top of the imafe with some dark reflection material.

Thanks for looking.

Steve..

Cracking images Steve. I'm a big fan of h&x Perseus, as a result of the great Images now being produced of the clusters. Th e film versions were no match for modern results.

The Pleiades is all about the areas nebulosity, and there is plenty of it in this Image. Very nice.

Ron.:D

Thanks for the comments, a reprocess on M45 coming up I think. We had a couple of banks of wispy cloud come through during the night, I need to check the subs to ensure non of this was picked up. Also regretting binning the colour, should have just left as 1x1.

I'm more used to processing mono Ha images so this has been a little bit of a learning curve so thanks for the comments on processing options Kevin.

Steve..

IMO, You can't have an M45 without nebulosity it's a wonderful image :D very ethereal.

That Double Cluster is (IMHO) the best I've seen so far this season.... I'm no techie on imaging but it's so bright and crisp. For me, some images just haven't captured the 'jewel box' that it is - but yours has. Can I pinch it for my desktop? :D

Hello Steve.

That double cluster is a cracker!

M45 looks good, but you were maybe a bit hard with the blackpoint as the nebulousity seems to have been lost a bit in the very faint areas.

To bin colour or not to bin!

I'm now going down the unbinned route....takes longer but the results are better I think.

Cheers

Rob

Hello Steve.

I'm now going down the unbinned route....takes longer but the results are better I think.

Cheers

Rob

Think I'll do that in the future as well Rob, you can never have too much data afterall.

Amanda - Please fell free to pinch

Steve

Great stuff. I particularly like the Double Cluster which is alive with colour. Personally (and this might be just my monitor) I might pull dow the green channel a tad.

Re binning, my own view is now to avoid it. I would avoid it like the plague at low elevations, in images in which the stars are important or in any image involving a narrowband input at some stage.

Olly

Improved! The dark haloes have gone. Just out of curiosity you might try giving the low reds a wee push to see if there's anything there. You might find a bit of something dusty lurking around the outskirts of the nebula in the upper part of your (excellent) image.

Olly

I'm a bit curious about your guiding problem, I use an Atik 16 and Maxim 4.58 and never had a problem like that: did you solve it?

As for binning, never bin on clusters, they are much too bright to need it. It's ok for very dim targets or when your image scale is patently ridiculous, like better than 1"/pix.

Dennis

I'm a bit curious about your guiding problem, I use an Atik 16 and Maxim 4.58 and never had a problem like that: did you solve it?

Dennis

Turns out to be a driver problem. I was using Maxim 5.02, and to cut a long story short, I had to reinstall the driver for the Atik on the day, it works find with the latest driver I have found later. The system works fine in the obsy on the desktop machine in there, it was just a problem with a new setup on the laptop.

Maxim stops the autoguider camera while downloading from the H36, it was when it was trying to restart the camera it was reporting a communication error - it just needed the guiding button pressed and away it went again, inconvenient but it was better than losing imaging time.

Steve..

Archived