NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heart and Soul (Kelling/Borg/H36/Ha)

SteveL

(I know a few of the Kelling attendees have been waiting for this one, just out of curiosity, so here it is)

A while back, just after I received my Borg 77, I jokingly mentioned to Paxo that it should illuminate a Starlight Xpress H36 reasonably well. We laughed, we joked... and a crazy idea kind of stuck in our heads.

I contacted Hutech and obtained the correct 72mm adapters and spacers to allow me to swap over from the SX M25C to Paxo's H36, and we chose a few targets. One that stuck out as an obvious choice was the Heart and Soul area, which is always done as a two pane mosaic. It would be in a good location in the sky as it got dark, and a great place to start.

So, when it started getting clear and dark on the Friday at the Kelling Heath Star Party, the plan sprung into action.

A few things to mention before we get to the image itself.

- Many thanks go to Paxo for lending me the camera to attach to my Borg for this project.

- This was really a proof of concept to show whether it would actually work or not. I think it did :D

- The H36 wasnt aligned squarely with the OTA, something we only noticed in the subs after they were stacked. We should have checked the collimation screws on the H36, but were too excited at the time! The stacked version had much larger stars at the bottom of the image than at the top, which meant I had to get creative with the star reduction routines. Its not ideal, but it certainly looks a lot better than the version I first saw on screen.

- We were unable to plate solve in Maxim using this configuration, nor was PoleAlignMax. As such, the polar alignment is fractionally out, and field rotation is just visible in the very corners of the uncropped version. Unsure if this was due to such a large area of sky to solve for, or the large number of catalog stars it tried to retrive from the catalogs before it tried solving. I doubt I will get another chance to try this specific combination out, but I know Paxo now has a Pentax 75, so there will be similar projects coming up soon which will require PAM to work.

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + PHD

Imaging: Starlight Xpress H36 + MaximDL, 30×600s, Astronomik 13nm Ha (101 bias, 101 flats)

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2

(Click on image for larger version, or click >>HERE<< for the MAAASIVE version... 4445 × 2635!!)

20090920_ic1805_ic1848_ha_800.jpg

W.O.W.

Good job fellas!!!!

The PoC I think has definitely worked Steve! The large version looks really nice in the browser, and MAAASIVE version, well!!!

I bet there was steam coming out the lappy when processing this! :D

I've been waiting for this... I keep seeing the subs coming down thinking blimey if the subs are this good whats the stacked image going to be like...

WOW Steve, thats amazing. I've jsut waited for the large version to come down the pipe and it is really worth the wait!

Well done mate!!!!

ant

Oh my word just LOOK at that nebulosity around the two main objects!!

That is the combo to give todays APOD a run for it's money I reckon, so come on Steve get that monster hooked up to the 75 :D

Excellent pic, I have been looking forward to seeing this one after seeing it on the screen. It does not dissappoint :D

That is the combo to give todays APOD a run for it's money I reckon, so come on Steve get that monster hooked up to the 75 :D

So many targets that will fit in the frame, it's difficult to know where to start, IC 1396 should be good, nicely overhead at the moment, just need the skies to cooperate.

Steve..

Archived