Andromeda.

ollypenrice

I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't quite this. The colour is strangely varied in images of M31 and this seems to be yet another variation. Anyway, this contains two hours per channel of unbinned colour and five of luminance. Quite a lot. There is so much faint dusty stuff in there that I wanted to avoid having to do any smoothing if I could. M33 was a sight easier, I kid you not!

Tak FSQ85 and Atik 4000 on EQ6.

(How puny the EQ6 looks next to the mounts I have visiting at the moment. AP Mach1, Gemini G41 and G11. Boy, the AP is nice and more of a beast than you might think.)

Olly

629801775_aeP5Q-X3.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A poster image, quality comes from the many hours of dedication shown to this special galaxy, star cols are great. You have picked up the really faint stuff there in the corners making this galaxy truely massive. John.

That is a superb rendition Olly, it wont be high enough for us northerners to get the best from it for another couple of weeks.

These colours that have come through in yours are very similar to what I get close in with an RGB camera on my C9.25, they look very natural and unforced.

Would the shot benefit from an hour of Ha too do you think, to add in to the red layer? There's a load of starforming regions in the foreground, and they can look nice when enhanced a little.

Great stuff. I have been watching your skies carefully and keep dropping hints to the Mrs about a southern holiday next year, especially so after getting some teasers of the low southern objects at last weeks star party.

Tim

Yup, I agree with Roy. I have seen a APOD of this sometime back and had it as a desktop pic for a long while, so I saw it every day. Olly's rendition is far more real and has amazing depth too, if you get my drift. The kids just walked by my desk and wowed too. :)

I'll have to come back to this thread and keep looking at it.

Magnificent image Olly, you've picked the outer structure to a level of detail rarely seen (some of the many globular clusters which Andromeda has can be seen, I think). Ha should pick up any star forming regions, should b interesting to see.

Steve..

a fabulous shot olly, so much detail, just beautiful....i agree with you, less smooting in the faint areas the better....it shouldnt be noticable....do you think the colour issues you spoke about could be caused by gradients in the wide field?

peter

Peter, quite likely I think. I have just made a new light box and the new Iris image I've posted seemd easier to deal with regarding colour.

Olly

a good flat is important but i was thinking of sky gradients.... i have found with the wider fields you get more problems with stray light gradients.....ie moon sky glow, high cloud....the subs never match as an imaging session progresses through an evening and from night to night...it can contribute to quite complex gradients

normally high cloud and moon for me

i know your skies are very good with little or no LP

Archived