Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Feedback on Filters primer

Andrew*

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Andrew

That's a really nice succinct primer of visual filters. Excellent.

I have a a few points.

- I think light at 400nm is violet in colour - I don't think I've ever heard of it it head butting anyone!

- Polarising filters - it's pairs of polarizing filters that act as variable neutral density filters, not single filters.

I think it the article could be made even more comprehensive by mentioning multi-wavelength contrast enhancement filters (blocks several discreet parts ofthe visible spectrum to make reds appear redder, greens appear greener and blues appear bluer - i.e Baader Neodymium filter) or colour correction filters (e.g. Baader fringe killer and minus violet filters).

Thanks again for a great article.

Mike and Rob - glad you got something out of it.

Hi Michael and thanks for the constructive comments.

Andrew

- I think light at 400nm is violet in colour - I don't think I've ever heard of it it head butting anyone!

:rolleyes: .... may have done that on purpose!

- Polarising filters - it's pairs of polarizing filters that act as variable neutral density filters, not single filters..

Indeed - thanks for that correction.

I think it the article could be made even more comprehensive by mentioning multi-wavelength contrast enhancement filters (blocks several discreet parts ofthe visible spectrum to make reds appear redder, greens appear greener and blues appear bluer - i.e Baader Neodymium filter) or colour correction filters (e.g. Baader fringe killer and minus violet filters).

Good points. I have also failed to mention anything about solar filters. I will get round to posting a follow up to include these. As for the Neodymium - I wasn't aware it was a colour enhancement filter - I would have put it in the "Light Pollution" catagory. You learn something new every day!

Cheers

Andrew

As for the Neodymium - I wasn't aware it was a colour enhancement filter - I would have put it in the "Light Pollution" catagory. You learn something new every day!

Andrew

It was originally marketed as a broadband light pollution filter - it is quite good at removing the yellow glow of low pressure sodium lamps. The transmission curve for the filter has very distinct dips in the yellow and pale green parts of the spectrum. This means that the curve has three distinct 'peaks' one at the red end of the spectrum, one at the blue end and one in the middle (around blue/green). So, sort of by accident, baader came up with a nice contrast enhancement filter. One of the advantage of the Neodymium filter over conventional colour filters is that it maintains a good 'natural' looking colour balance. I have found that it works particularly well for Mars.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent primer for a newcomer like me. It brings together lots of information I have gleaned from other parts of the web and makes sense of it all. I particularly like the way you give the alternative names for these things. It is illuminating to now realise that OIII is oxygen III and that buying one would not be the first thing to do for my small telescope. Will now go for the alternative.

David B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived