Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Feedback on Filters primer

Andrew*

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if some of the filters can be had more readily at photographic supplies shops as opposed to astro suppliers? I know that things like adapter rings can be had a LOT cheaper, and surely some of the photographic stuff is the same as astro, ie neutral density, but are they available in the same sizes and threads?

I don't think so. All the astro-targeted Wratten or ND filters are very cheap anyway, and the nebula filters are all astro-specific.

2" filter thread is 48mm as well, which is not a common camera lens thread.

Andrew

I recently bought a blue 80A filter from Scopes & Skies for £5.99 all in. Very pleased with it and the service but, seems to be multiple use's for it! Moon / planets etc but not DSO's or nebs!!!

Anyone got any difinitive info for me on this and or my next filter purchase?

Cheers y'all! :)

Nothing specifically on 80A, but this may help:

Dark Blue #38A

High contrast on Lunar detail

Brighter comets

Martian icecaps and high clouds

Viewing Venus and Mercury in twilight

Orange and purple belts and white ovals on Jupiter

Light Blue #82A

73% transmission

Pale orange and blue in Jupiter cloud belts

Comet trails

Suppresses false colour (green) in Achros

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for all your kind comments! It's very nice to know it's helping people.

msinclairinork: The primer thread should ahve been locked - not sure why it wasn't! So I have moved your reply to the "Feedback" thread.

Cheers

Andrew

ahh wondered what was going on their, thanks. Say andrew i see your in Aberdeen, well I live in orkney but work off shore month on month off and always come back into Aberdeen. Just wondering if you ever happend to come accross a second hand ED80 or 105p-ds and also a decent mount eq5 and up, could you drop me a PM as delivery is always going to be complicated for me if they are any further south. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One small comment:

"Views through narrowband filters can be very dim and even more so in small telescopes. Some observers prefer to only use them in large telescopes where the view is brighter."

I don't think I agree entirely. I've used extremely narrowband filters (Baader's H-beta, which has an extremely narrow passband and is even labeled a CCD-filter for that reason) on 7mm of aperture (the naked eye) for Barnard's Loop. Speaking of scopes, for some targets (like the California nebula) my mundane 114mm Starblast gets a lot of use with this filter, as does half of my pair of binoculars (you can put a 2" filter on top of the objective of a 10x50 fairly easily) when I want to see e.g. Barnard's Loop in Orion in more detail.

A more accurate thing to say is that narrowband filters sometimes force you to use a slightly lower magnification ("larger exit pupils" if you want a criterion that is more or less scope-independent) than if you don't use an aggressive filter, and in small scopes that may make the target too small to be viewed well.

People with small scopes disappointed by narrowband filters simply tend to push magnification too high or fail to change the magnification to adjust for the use of the filter (sometimes because they don't select the objects appropriately; things like small planetaries often want a lot of magnification on small scopes and at these magnifications the filters will do more harm than good, but the filters are still useful for the low magnification large objects).

Very useful information an helped me understand the different types of filters available and which was the best option for me. After reading your review I have gone with the UHC which I hope will be a good investment.

Thanks

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived