Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!

Hi John - Firstly, allow me to wish you and Dawn all the best that life can offer you from this point forward. Your decision to go "mobile" along with your motorhome and scope is truly inspirational.

I think it's a brave but excellent move.

I'd like to make a clear and genuine offer to you both that if you are travelling to my neck of the woods, you will find a drive big enough for that camper of yours and a warm welcome from me and my other half... (and of course.. I'll even help you set up the Obsession in my back garden !)

I'm also sure that from the nature of these replies, you will always have a place to hang your hat in a storm. We've all faced life changing issues and how we deal with them defines our character, so although I don't know you personally, feel that through the common hobby and SGL, you will never be "on your own" on the road.

Good luck !

Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck to you both! I hope the skies treat you well for many years to come!

It makes you think... the fact that it takes something like this to make us realise what is important... Many of us will never get the courage to do sometyhing like that. So my eternal respect to you both as well as best wishes.

The title shouldn't say "God what have I done"

but should read "God why didn't we do this years ago"

Good luck to you and the better half. If you ever pass the East Midlands / Nottingham give me a shout, the kettle can be on in a second.

Regards, Neil.

Hope all goes well, good luck for the future. A big motorhome and 25" obsession sounds ideal to me. Don't think my girlfriend would agree though - I've got to stick with a 6" Newtonian and a tent.

John & Dawn, Sounds like you have both made a sensible decision. Life is too short to put things off.

My wife and I have made some similar changes in our lives, and we are not regretting it one bit. I have retired at 60 and my wife has dropped down to 4 days a week. we've purchased a place near a mountain top in southern Spain and are looking forward to a quiet life and plenty of viewing time.

I wish you both the best in life and if you are ever passing ALORA, there will be a cuppa waiting for you both.

Regards Ray

I have had a motorhome for many years - it was the best decision my partner and I ever made. When ever possible we just put in the food and clothes and go, even if it is just for one night. It is very relaxing sitting in a field in the middle of nowhere. The only stress comes from seeing the clouds building up to ruin yet another planned observing session!

Good luck to you both.

Really good to hear you are going to be making the most of each day and your time together. I hope you both enjoy your new way of living and of course I hope you are able to spend more time marvelling at the universe.

I have had a few tough issues in my family recently so I know how you feel. I have a faith which helps me with everything and actually takes Astronomy to another level.

I wish you both well and hope your love of Astronomy will also be passed on to others around you.

Mark

Dawn and i would like to say a great and heartfelt thank you to you all.

Your comments and encouragment really mean alot. We will be doing as many star parties as possible next year and hope to be able to thank you in person.

We have had a lot of private mails and again thank you. There are always people worse off and we send our best wishes to those in that position.

What a great forum and community of friends.

Clear skies to you all.

John and Dawn.

This thread does certainly help to put things in perspective,

i think the majority of us do take things for granted,and we

all should be very grateful for our health.

I for one often get carried away with selfish pursuits or become

agitated by the kids or some other triviality,i should get a grip.

Very Best Wishes in your new Adventure.

Brian

About Dongles 'I know nothing' but about giving up and heading for the stars I know quite a lot! Had a camper, too, and the camper-telescope has a lot going for it. I do know quite a few top spots in Europe for dark skies, though campsites are generally hopeless. You don't need 'em though, with the right approach. Drop me a PM if you are interested but in any event you have made a great decision. have fun,

Olly

Archived