NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recomend me a good beginners.....

Kai

Sorry i should of made myself clearer John :)

I have TLAO but am looking for something like Nortons Star Atlas (or maybe even Nortons if people recomend it) that gives me more detail but isnt complicated.

I suppose a good Field Atlas is what im after

Cheers :headbang:

TLAO is good but it's not a star atlas. Tirion and Sinnott (?) is good without being over-detailed (stars down to about mag 9).

"A Guide to astronomical Wonders" is also good - a bit more advanced than TLAO - several hundred objects with small quite detailed maps for each one.

Nortons is a decent choice with stars in both hemispheres down to about 6th magnitude, all Messier objects and some of the brighter NGCs and ICs. The only problem is I'm not sure if it's still in print.

I print off charts, on the actual night, using Starry Night for the area that interests me. Some say the freely available Carte du Ciel is better (for printing charts) but I have not made a comparison.

It is handy because you can print whatever field of view you like, i.e. you can print one chart showing the whole constellation Orion then another showing only the trapezium stars in M42. Also useful for identifying the Moons of Jupiter and Saturn and if asteroids are your thing you can include their location on the chart.

HTH

Nortons has long been termed the Astronomers Bible. Mine is a bit dog eared now, but the number of times I refer to it is incredible.

It is not too unweildy , and the maps are good, and well laid out.

You could do worse than get a copy Steve. IMO that is.

Ron.:)

I second the Jose Torres Tri-Atlas, a really good set. You could also try the The Observer's Sky Atlas: With 50 Star Charts Covering the Entire Sky: Amazon.co.uk: Erich Karkoschka: Books which gives you really useful little finder charts for the objects in it, that give you enough stars to do the job properly, unlike the vast majority (I think) of other observing books. I want a chart I can go to the scope with and stand a chance of finding the object. For things like Comets I either print a chart with Skymap Pro or print out the sheet from the Tri-Atlas and mark the location on that.

Good luck, it's good to see someone wanting to avoid Goto. You learn the sky better if you have to do (a little) work!

PEterW

Although it is an excellent atlas, the problem with Norton's is that is is quite big and heavy to handle in the field. It is really more of a reference book. The new Cambridge Double Star Atlas is superbly laid out and easy to use, and the maps are probably Wil Tirion's best yet.

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas - compact, spiral-bound, works under red light, has laminated pages and it's so under priced it's a steal :)
Err... you sure :) The one I ordered (and received) last week doesn't seem to (unless it is a very thin coating of some description on the page)... I agree though a steal - I paid £9.08 delivered for mine from aphrohead.com (takes 4-5 days but I also got Sinott/Tirons Sky Atlas 2000.0 from there too at £30)

Nortons is being given away when you subscribe to Sky at Night... might finally get round to doing that...

The Sky and Telescope one is very handy .. not a star hopper but I keep a copy in the obs... and for the price is a real steal....

Great for selecting Goto targets....incoming .........

Peter....

Steve

I have several atlases

Norton's - 20th Edition - great atlas but the binding is poor as it won't stan up to the rigours of being used outside.

Webb Society Deep-Sky Observers Handbook - A Ring Bound laminated atlas that I have found useful. The only real drawback is the font they used I just don't like it.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas - Excellent Atlas, ring bound but not laminated. I do use this whilst outside but I would be concerned about using it in very damp conditions.

Uranometrica Deep Sky Atlas- A great Atlas with satrs down to Mag 9 but not for use outside.

Cheers

Ian

Archived