Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone been getting good seeing?

GazOC

This is the 4th night on the bounce where great looking skies all day have failed to translate into decent seeing at night. Has anyone else had this trouble?

Its very disapointing at wait until 11pm only to find the condidtions are poor again.

I was out last night and the transparency was good but the seeing was definately below par. Saturn put on a very poor show at the eyepiece with zero details and no moons visible. I know it's getting a bit low now and it wasn't quite dark enough but it was the worst view of it I've seen so far in the dob. I did manage to see NGC6207 near M13 though - near zenith position may have been a big help here. Tonight looks much the same but I have to be up early so I haven't bothered.

Very clear and transparent skies the last few nights but unstable atmosphere. Saturn has been very disappointing, less detail than usual, only a few moons seen and only hints of banding. The moon has offered some good viewing however, despite a bit of that looking at it through running water effect caused by the unstable atmosphere, so at least there has been something worth looking at the last few nights following the terminator.

John

Very poor seeeing where I am in East Anglia all week in spite of clearish nights. Have managed some detail on saturn with the 10" Mak Cass but only at relativelly lower powers (118x). As John says there has been some good lunar views

Adrian

Luckily the temperature seems to drop here suddenly after 8pm and further at sundown. By 1am, I am having to wear gloves.

Therefore seeing has been "good" for a good 130 degrees of the sky, the rest is very poor, although on the positive side, watching the glittering red jewel Antares setting in the south has been a stunning experience.

Whilst the seeing has been generally "good" for DSOs, Saturn has been a nightmare to get a good focus on!!

Don't know what it was like last night, as I have the Weekday Routinethat requires a good night's sleep..... :icon_salut:

I have found that conditions improve noticeably after midnight up until 2.00 a.m. when it is just starting to get light again. During that 2 hour window I can even see quite a few DSOs (Dumbell, globulars, M81 & M82 etc.) with my 25 x 100 binoculars. Live in town on the east coast so seeing is never that brilliant.

Seeing has been particularly disappointing for me too... before 1am the seeing is quite bad, must be the heat as mentioned before... but after 2am it seems to improve quite a bit :icon_salut: I'm looking forward to the winter now,lol

Amanda

I thought it was just me (phew) -

What I noticed was a certain thickness to the atmosphere almost like it needs to have some rain. Seeing has been poor where I live and you can tell that in the day, there is a certain haziness to the blue of the sky.

When I have ventured out with the scope, it's been only to show the outlaws so I didn't pick any DSO's.

BTW, tinvek... according to you:-

seeing has been carp

Surely if it's carp, then you are in the wrong hobby forum ?

After selling all my kit including my beloved C11, I've only had the Bresser 10x50 bins and an old star chart - and frankly I've had a blast!! We've had seven clear nights on the trot down here on the South coast and I've gone out every night from anywhere between 30mins and 3 hours. I've done more observing in the last 7 nights than I've done in the past 3 years, simply because my set up is - well - simple to say the least. I'm learning the constellations and finding double stars and DSO's have been a fun challenge. :headbang:

In essence I've fallen in love with this hobby again - whereas before I was getting more and more frustrated with all the kit and faffing about with cables and heavy mounts, etc. It's very easy to get too caught up in the equipment side of things and forget what Astronomy is really about. :icon_salut:

Sadly, it's all going to come to an end - the Megrez 72FD I've ordered from FLO is due to arrive tomorrow so guess what's going to happen to the weather - yup, its going to be clouds all the way until at least the weekend and probably beyond - sorry everyone, curse of the new scope is about to strike. :cool:

Archived