Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Exeter

JamesC

Hi,

My interest in astronomy was rekindled about a year ago and I have since got 2 telescopes! One is a small 4.5" f4 Newtonian (Orion Starblast) and the other a 12" f5 Newtonian (Sky Watcher flextube). I've been driving out to various rural car parks from time to time and been getting on reasonably well so far. I do have one or two questions though, which is why I'm here, but I'll save those for another post...

I've just flocked the small telescope and painted the lip of the secondary. Few stars beginning to show now, so I'll probably set up on the balcony and try and see how the collimation is looking. I don't really know what I'm doing with star tests, but I can tell if it's really bad easily enough!

James

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Not sure I got the collimation of the scope correct. Looking at an out of focus star, the circles are most circular some way off from the centre of the field of view. I have a laser collimator. If I put a bit of electrical tape round the base of the collimator and jam it in the eyepiece so that it stays there without using the screws, and then rotate it, I can see that the spot on the mirror makes a circle that is not in the middle of the mirror. The flocking paper is beginning to come away a bit, so I'm going to have to go back and glue the seams anyway, so it's not worth getting carried away collimating yet.

Archived