Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light and AR3664

Posted (edited)

First go at white light observing for some time since being trumped by the PST Coronado. Quite simply astonishing amount of detail in the large AR3664 sun spot. Mesmerising. Had the Ha set up out too and saw a huge bright region around the sunspot which SpaceWeather alerted as a high M class flare. 

Couldn’t resist a quick iPhone snap. 

IMG_7421.jpeg

IMG_7414.jpeg

Edited by IB20
  • Like 16

I was driving up the A303 this morning in foggy conditions, and am sure I ‘spotted’ this AR naked eye with the sun shining weakly through the fog. Amazing!

• Like 5

I’ve just had another look in the telescope and I’m sure that it’s grown since this morning. With AR3663 & AR3664 almost appearing to merge together too. 

• Like 4

Its an amazing sight indeed.
I have looked at this in both WL and Ha today, first time in ages out and loved it.
Its over such a large area, that the detail that teases out is tunning.

• Like 4

Am away tonight, and didn’t bring my scope which is a shame. Will have to grab a look on Friday if it is still around. Must keep a scope in the car!

It's large. Started with the 10x42 solar binos and it looked impressive. So I set up the 90mm SvBony telescope and the sunspot is very large and with many individual spots.

The Sun is certainly very active at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Fabulous! I haven't set up the solar gear today, alas, as although it's sunny, it's been through thin cloud (I'm sure I'd still get a view through it, but I can't be bothered to fight my way through). I've been hoping it would clear properly, but no joy. Looks like it may properly clear just after the sun dips behind the houses!

Edited by LukeTheNuke

You lot are a terrible influence! I have multiple things that need doing, and the thin cloud was still there, but against my better judgement, I had a look. What an AR! White light stole the show. Though it was nice to see the flares in h-alpha. The view was wobbly at times, but it did steady now and then and wasn't too bad.

Well I say white light stole the show. The big prom was rather huge, but very faint in my Quark, I don't know if that's just my Quark or it was very faint. My wife Sarah didn't even notice it. I forgot to tell her about it! :embarrassed:

I also took a moment to appreciate my gear. My little 1.25 inch Herschel wedge is still showing cracking views. I love the Sky-Watcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro. As Sarah will never let me forget, I initially wasn't very keen on us getting that scope all those years ago. I love it now!

It gives such sharp views (well, when the seeing steadies) and is nice and light. The Tele Vue 85 is built like a tank, and the stock focuser has such a nice action. And I'm glad we kept our Tele Vue Radian eyepieces. They are lovely for white light, and not too bulky or heavy. And I observed without the solar continuum filter for a few minutes, which was interesting. I found the white of the disc rather bright.

Thanks IB20 for posting that iPhone snap, I think it gave me a little nudge to brave the clouds!

• Like 4

I got a look at 3664/3668 in white light at around 6pm and it is a very pretty sight, like someone dropped some blobs of black paint on the sun and then stirred them around.

• Like 2

I spent some time viewing the. Sunspots this morning. 

It is interesting that it is linked to an M class flare. I was chatting about this with my wife and thought it would be linked to a strong flare. I was amazed how much the groups changed in less than 24 hours.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's still looking impressive. 70mm frac and Lunt HW used here plus mobile held over eyepiece:

sol100524.thumb.jpg.bcb442e4e46b9130753eb26f1406485a.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 6

It's interesting to compare the rapid change in the shape of 3664 from the photos just a day apart. It's been chucking out flares galore, probably the most active sunspot so far this solar cycle. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’m having an early “lunchtime” look. Again, it’s still stunning with more of a “curve & swirl” look to it. And like yesterday you can easily see filaments in the larger penumbral.

Here are a couple of iPhone snaps. First from yesterday, second from today. In particular it’s clear how the trailing spot has developed and become more defined.

IMG_2600.thumb.jpeg.bc2baacf9e3124c5ea1ae66a86f22f90.jpeg

IMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.bbba5fe5e17d6b8be7d6f3df391f9373.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 5

Some very bad Ha pics, taken through the 102mm PST mod. Views were excellent for a while until seeing dropped off.

21F6F7B1-322E-41FE-80D6-045110E5F3A7.jpeg

1B8E247E-3FFB-4C79-9DA4-9ED9F5F2757F.jpeg

CCF1C518-6B55-4121-94D6-19AC09E80D56.jpeg

• Like 6

Had a look with ZS66, Herschel Wedge and Svbony 3-8. Lovely sharp views of the giant group, which rather reminded me of an eighties Paisley pattern.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Some very bad Ha pics, taken through the 102mm PST mod. Views were excellent for a while until seeing dropped off.

21F6F7B1-322E-41FE-80D6-045110E5F3A7.jpeg

1B8E247E-3FFB-4C79-9DA4-9ED9F5F2757F.jpeg

CCF1C518-6B55-4121-94D6-19AC09E80D56.jpeg

Seeing dropped off too, plus transparency - there’s high level cloud giving the sky a milky haze. A few gaps though.

Those pics are good enough to give me a good idea. I’m wise enough to know that the actual views are far better. As I think I’ve said before:- it makes me want to invest in a similar setup! 

17 minutes ago, Ags said:

Had a look with ZS66, Herschel Wedge and Svbony 3-8. Lovely sharp views of the giant group, which rather reminded me of an eighties Paisley pattern.

“Paisley pattern” is a good way of describing it. Better than my “curve and swirl”!

• Like 1