NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Telescope For Occasional Observing?

I started my astronomy journey +10 years ago, initially observing with a Skywatcher 150 newtonian but soon thereafter sold this and moved to an Apo refractor + AZEQ6-GT mount for imaging, which has been my passion ever since.  I've just bought an AM5 mount which I eventually intend to combine with a new dedicated apo refractor (100 - 120mm) and camera but am also thinking of occasionally using it with an inexpensive refractor (a) to re-awaken my oberving interest (b)  for those times when there's a sufficient  clear sky for observing but not imaging = much of the time (c) to take away from time-to-time for casual observing in darker skies (it's Bortle 6'ish here at home) i.e. portable and, in particular (d) to share views with other family members, especially the grandchildren who already show great interest in grandad's images!  Bearing in mind the latter (granchildren), I feel it needs to produce decent views of the planets and moon + (for me) maybe larger DSO's and variable stars etc.

For ease-of-use I'd prefer a refractor  but what sort (aperture) is going to deliver the aforementioned objectives?  Given my other astronomy plans, budget is maybe up to £500 new or second-hand if something suitbale came up.  I already have a set of plossl eyepieces (6 / 10 / 20 / 32mm) and a x2 Barlow and x2.5 Powermate + light pollution. moon & UHC 1.25" filters.  Looking at other reviews on SGL and online I wonder if something like the SW 102 would do the job?

Graham

I’d agree with Olly on 4” or above. Two options that fit your budget at a small stretch are a brand new Altair Astro Ascent 4” F7  or a second hand Altair Astro Starwave 4” F7

I have the latter which is also available under the Starfield brand at FLO. I think the former would also be a great all rounder and a big step up from an achromat. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Sorry I disagree - I would high recommended the sw 102 - foot have one and it’s a great scope for visual use 

I don’t think anyone is saying the SW102 is not a good scope, it’s just that the OP has a budget of £500, so might as well use it and get the best you can! 🙂

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beardy30 said:

Sorry I disagree - I would high recommended the sw 102 - foot have one and it’s a great scope for visual use 

Are you talking about the Short Tube 102?

Olly

I recently added a Starfield 102, never had this size aperture refractor before (I was on the verge of buying a new triplet which would have been my first brand new scope, but alas used prices go a long way). Only tried imaging with it the other day and the quality is quite remarkable, even though it's a doublet, it's an FPL53, internally baffled scope. The first use I tried it visual and it's probably given me the best views ever (considering my LP is pants) but I managed to finally see M31 via manual search (quite difficult with my C6 in comparison and the SCT is no where near as sharp so it's difficult to determine if I'm actually seeing any DSO with it my LP is that bad), not so in the SF, those faint smudges appeared without question. The focuser is a solid 2.5" RP. Was bought initially for AP as it's what I mainly do but I might end up using it more for visual (framing emission DSOs at this particular FL is challenging 714mm, even at 571mm 0.8x reduced, and I'm not going to mosaic with it). Scope also comes in different guises around the world as I believe it's made by KUO for a few OEMs.

It suits my Cubo mount perfectly, fitted a WO top bar onto the tube rings so it's easier to carry and mount. You'll need to pier mount extension it otherwise zenith targets will cause the back end to foul with the tripod legs.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 3

I think you should think along the lines of one scope that will do everything. You'll need to double your £500 budget, but the triplet Apo Askar 103mm with its 3" focuser should at least warrant some serious thinking about. It will be a great visual scope, but being a triplet it should be a pretty good imaging scope too. It also comes with an awesome carry case! 

• Like 3

Not suggesting anyone’s dissatisfaction with the 102 - my point was you don’t have to spend £500 on a good refractor, the 102  is a sweet piece of kit at half the price 

Edited by Beardy30

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

If you are not imaging and observing at the same time why not just use the one scope?

Because I like to have each rig set-up dedicated, so I just have to take it out + clamp it on the mount + connect and I'm imaging / reverse when finished, also my calibration library for each rig remains good for months.

I'm liking what I see with the SW 102 but will this really get good results with the planets?  An SCT is a possibility to get more aperture but I do find refractors just easy to use.

Meanwhile , been following the thread on Small aperture APO for Visual on SGL but surely these are just too small for good planetary viewing? 

A slight diversion - seen elsewhere somethting like a Panoptic can have a positive impact on viewing (particularly as I wear glasses), I realise it bumps the budget up somewhat but maybe a price worth paying if it helps get the result I want.  

Graham               

My Z61 is sharp as anything on planets, but they're small. Jupiter isn't too bad, you can see the banding rendered clearly, but if you want a scope to be able to do planetary well it needs a decent focal length. The short refractor is for when you want to see wide star fields, the moon in full, maybe wide conjunction events, I like using it just to browse the skies, for quick viewing. They're light, almost a telescope equivalent of a point and shoot (ignoring binoculars) because of the forgiving FOV finding objects is easier too. A longer FL refractor would be better, but if I could only have one scope, it'd likely be the short FL one.

How about the good old Skywatcher 100ED? These are f9, and a full four inch apo scope with a great reputation, but probably viewed as a little old hat these days so perhaps valued lower used. I see one on ABS for £500, bang on budget, not sure if it’s still available and no images so would need to be checked out. Would given very decent planetary views I’m sure. Personally I wouldn’t go for a fast achro if wanting to view planets, both CA and SA will limit what you see.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

How about the good old Skywatcher 100ED? These are f9, and a full four inch apo scope with a great reputation, but probably viewed as a little old hat these days so perhaps valued lower used. I see one on ABS for £500, bang on budget, not sure if it’s still available and no images so would need to be checked out. Would given very decent planetary views I’m sure. Personally I wouldn’t go for a fast achro if wanting to view planets, both CA and SA will limit what you see.

+1 one for that recommendation.  I am becoming a big believer in longer focal length refractors for visual.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

+1 one for that recommendation.  I am becoming a big believer in longer focal length refractors for visual.

This is true, especially for planetary.

• Like 1

The SV503 102ED f7 (FPL-51) I have is a nice all rounder for visual. If you can find one 2nd hand it should be around £450 ish.. That's a possible

Rob

On 22/01/2024 at 16:20, RobertI said:

I’d agree with Olly on 4” or above. Two options that fit your budget at a small stretch are a brand new Altair Astro Ascent 4” F7  or a second hand Altair Astro Starwave 4” F7

I have the latter which is also available under the Starfield brand at FLO. I think the former would also be a great all rounder and a big step up from an achromat. 

There is this for sale used, it’s got the FPL53 glass and the same as the 102ED Starfield from FLO and Starwave from Altair Astro:

We are all helping you spend, so here is another suggestion.
On the SW vs others, I have been very impressed by build quality on Bresser. They are definitely worth a look.
The Bresser short tube refractors I have tried are good on CA for the ££ spent, and have generally better fixtures & fittings than SW.

The good news is that all the differing options & opinions show there are lots of good scopes out there😁

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's help.

FYI in the end I increased the budget a bit and have ordered a Starfield 102 F7 ED yesterday from FLO which should be with me in a few weeks.  Looking forward to some good views of the night sky again.

Graham

Edited by groberts
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, groberts said:

Thanks for everyone's help.

FYI in the end I increased the budget a bit and have ordered a Starfield 102 F7 ED yesterday from FLO which should be with me in a few weeks.  Looking forward to some good views of the night sky again.

Graham

Good choice 👍

• Like 1