SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who Has A Clear Sky Tonight ?

saac

Started off nice and clear here in NE Fife around 1830, thought I may be in luck and get 3 nights in a row of imaging so I setup. About an hour and half in and I think the high level cloud cover is just going to get busier and settle in, slight wind picking up too.  I'll let it run for another hour just in case but I think tonight will be written off - at least its dry and I can see some stars :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

It's been clear the entire day in Hastings! A few wisps appeared around 19.00 but didn't stop me getting great views of the moon and watching Io and Europa disappear behind Jupiter within 5 minutes of each other. Hopefully got some good moon photos too. 

10 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Sitting here trying to get warm, blummin' wood doesn't want to burn. Utter rubbish. It's only warmer than outside in relative terms.

You need a blow torch Dave - nothing worse than wood that won't burn.  My observatory thermometer said it was -4, that seemed a bit too low, though it was really cold when standing in  the wind. One of those nights where you can smell that there is snow in the air.  I'm almost glad that the clouds have rolled in, I'll be pulling the roof back shortly I think.

Jim 

A nice night here when I came out at 8pm. The crescent moon was getting low but looked nice in the binoviewers at low power..although seeing not great, so higher powers not viable.

M42 a beautiful sight in cyclops mode with Axiom LX 23mm 84degrees UWA giving 45x in my FS128. Going a bit higher with Pentax XL Zoom at 8mm (x130), I got E & F in the Trap intermittently, which was pleasing. I dont think Sirius and the Pup will be on tonight though, sadly.

Its very cold.. about minus 1 already, so came in for a hot mug of soup. There's a band of high thin cloud to the west, am just hoping it will stay away for another hour or so!

Just GREAT to be out under the stars though after a lengthy lay off..👍😊

Dave

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, saac said:

You need a blow torch Dave - nothing worse than wood that won't burn.  My observatory thermometer said it was -4, that seemed a bit too low, though it was really cold when standing in  the wind. One of those nights where you can smell that there is snow in the air.  I'm almost glad that the clouds have rolled in, I'll be pulling the roof back shortly I think.

Jim 

I've got a small blowtorch and a proper one in the garage, I think I'll fetch it in tomorrow.

Meanwhile the wood is burning, just about and the room is slowly warming up, just gone above 18⁰.

• Like 1

Clear here, although although there is a fair amount of high haze around. Pretty stable though, and the best views of Jupiter I’ve had this apparition.

Clear skies near Southampton. I was already setup from a few nights ago so just pulled off the cover and got imaging. Left everything running and came inside. Not sure if it’s still clear because the cat’s sat on my lap and I would hate to disturb him. Hopefully got a good couple of hours in. 

18 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Currently -2.8⁰ here. I had a quick look outside, and while it looked clear I could see a lot of high cloud.

Mines also cleared up since earlier, but like you there is a lot of high cloud. Shame.

Part 2 of the session saw thin, high cloud spreading across the sky from the North West, and within 30 minutes of going back out I could barely see the 7 main stars of Orion..oddly, though, Jupiter showed a lot of detail at c 150x even through the cloud, and the seeing was much improved.

So good to be back in action!

Dave

20240115_200322.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

oddly, though, Jupiter showed a lot of detail at c 150x even through the cloud, and the seeing was much improved.

So good to be back in action!

Dave

I experienced a similar thing when viewing Jupiter through the cloud on Saturday at our society's observing evening. We all remarked about how much more detail there appeared to be. I thinking maybe the cloud removes some of the glare which prevents seeing the finer detail.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A beautiful crisp day here in Liverpool, followed by a clear evening and now I'm ready to venture out... cloud... 🙄

I was way too optimistic earlier on this evening, totally clouded over now. But as @Chaz2b said Thursday night looks like it may have some potential :) 

Jim 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

I experienced a similar thing when viewing Jupiter through the cloud on Saturday at our society's observing evening. We all remarked about how much more detail there appeared to be. I thinking maybe the cloud removes some of the glare which prevents seeing the finer detail.

Maybe that’s the case, but more often I think it’s just that high hazy cloud indicates that the upper atmosphere is still, so the seeing is better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Just GREAT to be out under the stars though after a lengthy lay off..👍😊

Indeed, despite the cold, being able to stargaze is good for the soul.

MORE clear skies please!

• Like 3

Just now, Franklin said:

Indeed, despite the cold, being able to stargaze is good for the soul.

MORE clear skies please!

Seconded! It’s great to see all the observing reports coming in when we finally get some decent weather. More to come by the looks of the forecast 👍

• Like 1

@900SL we are sharing Helsinki's clear sky tonight but thankfully not your temperature!  NE Fife sky is crystal clear and calm, temperature a balmy -8 oC.  So far the start of 2024 has delivered - I've never done so much imaging on school nights :) 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

El Nino has been bringing rain and clouds constantly. 

This morning was the first time I could even see the sun on a day off. I did manage a half hour to look at the activity on Sol.

Now the Moon and Jupiter are directly overhead and the sky is covered with high clouds to thick to view thru.

Only good thing is it's in the 60's F.

• Like 1