Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The idea could work for me - i like the concept. 

But, the imaging sensor is where I found myself saying - nah! This is a pass for me. 

A RASA 6" though, would be perfect as a widefield astrograph. Perfect i would dare to say.

The Rasa 6 is intriguing, if they do decide to sell as an ota, but how much would it be, 1500? I'd rather they fix the 8 and put it back on sale.

I see it's using an rpi 4, so it's already outdated tech on the computing side but should be sufficient to do the task at hand.

Alt az is a hindrance but it states it'll support the wedge so EQ will be possible down the line.

You can use your own 1.25 and 2 inch filters so that's a positive.

The sensor is 8.92mm diagonal so is tiny, so the widefield FL isn't that wide due to the sensor size.

If the above price is right my C6+HS6 in comparison is an absolute bargain.

Edited by Elp

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

The Rasa 6 is intriguing, if they do decide to sell as an ota, but how much would it be, 1500? I'd rather they fix the 8 and put it back on sale.

I see it's using an rpi 4, so it's already outdated tech on the computing side but should be sufficient to do the task at hand.

Alt az is a hindrance but it states it'll support the wedge so EQ will be possible down the line.

You can use your own 1.25 and 2 inch filters so that's a positive.

The sensor is 8.92mm diagonal so is tiny, so the widefield FL isn't that wide due to the sensor size.

If the above price is right my C6+HS6 in comparison is an absolute bargain.

Listed as $4000 at Astronomics Assuming that translates to pounds, you'll want to add another £1000 or so if you want the wedge and the Starsense Autoguider. It makes it a very expensive package.

I can't see there being a huge market for this at the price - doesn't seem like it is pitched at expert astrophotographers, and there other packaged devices are half the price (or less) of the Celestron, with the exception of the Unistellar evScope 2.   

I do like what celestron are trying do here but for me the pricing is well off. 4000usd for what is basically a c6 evolution with a hyperstar and a 178mc camera?!? I appreciate there is  the automation to also consider but I do not think that justifies this kind of premium

To be honest, it's a fast scope for sure, but for this sort of thing nothing can come close to the ZWO Seestar S50 for bang per buck and simplicity, ZWO are only going to get more market share via subsequent follow up devices especially if others price their equipment like this one.

Edited by Elp

On a side note, there's a new evscope Odyssey just announced, and it's cheaper than this, even the one with the electronic eyepiece but obviously each do slightly different things.

Edited by Elp

I wonder who is the target audience for this thing?

Since its a smart all-in-one package we can assume its targeted for complete beginners who want to see images with the least amount of hassle possible, but how many of those have 4k to spend on something like this? You could get a competent 'normal' setup with that kind of money, and be able to automate it with autofocusers/platesolving and all the other goods.

I do wish they make just the scope available one day, could well see myself getting one as a widefield wind resistant (hopefully, just guessing) light bucket.

Price aside, I think this looks like a very exciting piece of kit. It might not be very wide field, but I think it will appeal to those who want to view more than just the brightest DSOs, in particular the multitude of smaller DSOs, especially galaxies. I’m sure there will be a big market for this in the US where people really seem to go to town on their EAA kit. Personally I don’t think it’s aimed at complete beginners, I think it will appeal to more experienced EAA enthusiasts. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Celestron marketing department decide that you can only get a RASA 6” as part of this package. Compatibility with Sky Safari is a nice feature, assuming it’s implemented well.

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 6

£4000 sounds a lot until you price up the individual parts

RASA 6, Evolution Mount, Camera, Focuser, Dew system, PC, Battery.

It’s not for me but there’s quite a lot there, and it’s integrated into a pick up and go package. I can see it appealing to someone that doesn’t do imaging currently but would find an EAA setup attractive. There seem to be a lot of purely visual observers on the US boards, people with deep pockets. Maybe this is aimed at that market. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstroGS said:

The idea could work for me - i like the concept. 

But, the imaging sensor is where I found myself saying - nah! This is a pass for me. 

A RASA 6" though, would be perfect as a widefield astrograph. Perfect i would dare to say.

The cameras are interchangeable / upgradable so chose your sensor for the target.

IMG_5388.jpeg

If you watch the product video it states the Rasa 6 was designed for the Origin, so whether that's code for "only for this" who knows. It looks like it's been bolted on with all the other stuff so I don't see why it can't be sold as OTA only.

I have read previously that Celestron had discounted the RASA 6 as regular cameras would cause too large a central obstruction. Maybe the RASA 6  needs a particularly small diameter camera.

I wonder why they put such a small sensor into it, unless the optics are not made to/cannot be trusted to produce a larger decent imaging circle. This is how it compares to my RASA 8 with an ASI2600MC. Not much of a wide field scope:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 23.21.11.png

I'm sure they could have used a larger sensor or even a larger body camera, the 335mm FL is kind of wasted with its camera sensor limited FOV.

4 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I wonder who is the target audience for this thing?

See, this would be appealing to me if I was looking for a RASA system based on the superb images posted by you all here on SGL. A RASA was something I considered before quickly ruling it out and getting my 102ED.

It came down to, if I wanted a RASA8, I’d need a mount upgrade too…so just for the OTA and let’s say an EQ6r…that’s £3734, not far off this Origin 6, and that’s without a camera or any accessories.

As it happens I don’t (and didn’t) have that kind of money to spend, but people like me at a beginner/intermediate level (with a bit more cash to spare) could be a possible target audience for this, or those who have a Seestar and want more oomph and have money to spend. In both cases, I guess those audiences are quite small. I’d agree that if it was being sold as an OTA only, they’d probably be shifting them pretty quickly.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts are "Wow"!

The bridge between the small aperture robotic scopes and a semi serious rig??

I don't know, lets wait and see what it's output looks like.

I'm no purist. I don't revel in the complexities of advanced image processing. I do like to track down and create animations of comets and asteroids. Unfortunately 4k is beyond my means 🥲 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

It came down to, if I wanted a RASA8, I’d need a mount upgrade too…so just for the OTA and let’s say an EQ6r…that’s £3734, not far off this Origin 6, and that’s without a camera or any accessories.

Yes, for the RASA8 which is a much bigger scope and presumably quite a bit more expensive if we are to compare the pricing between a C6 and a C8 and assume a similar difference goes for a potential RASA6 vs RASA8 (pure guesswork of course). The C6 isn't too heavy though and i reckon the RASA 6 version could ride well on more affordable mounts like an EQ5 or Celestron's own AVX, which is why i too think it could be a pretty hot scope flying off the shelves if they sell just the OTA one day.

• Like 1

I use my C6 on my hem15 no issue for imaging (rated 8.2Kg WO counterweight). Don't know if it'll do it at 1000mm FL imaging though.

Edited by Elp

The IMX178 sensor suffers from significant amp glow, I don’t know why they didn’t go for the next generation 678 sensor, unless Celestron already have a camera based on the older sensor.

A smaller sensor also minimises back focus and tilt issues, which is what you want in a just put it outside and go system.

At around £4K it isn’t aimed at the Seestar market, I guess the quality of the initial images will determine if folks looking to put an AP rig together from individual components will be tempted.

Cuiv the Lazy Geek has some videos where he fitted a 6" SCT with a hyperstar set-up. Worth a watch for background information. He seems to get good results, but he does say that his C6 is a good sample.

https://youtu.be/1JeHARZP-Wc?si=abEGjiE3Tt7PBh5D

Not for me I'm afraid, unless the RASA6 is made available separately. But if it were, is the Celestron able to use different cameras? If not, then as an ASIAir user I wouldn't be able to run it.

Ian

On 08/01/2024 at 20:50, Mogster said:

I have read previously that Celestron had discounted the RASA 6 as regular cameras would cause too large a central obstruction. Maybe the RASA 6  needs a particularly small diameter camera.

Bring back the atik 460/490 camera bodies with new sensors and usb 3. Ideal for any Rasa, including Rasa 6. Cooling I think was the limitation there though.

• Like 1

If the cameras diameter is smaller than the scopes central obstruction mounting flange you're not gaining anything. I use my 78mm dia 183 with my Hyperstar 6 fine, it's limitation is you cannot use dslr bodies like you can on the larger diameter SCTs, the HS6s illuminated circle is only 28mm diagonal, so I'm wondering if the RASA6 is even smaller hence their choice of sensor.

Edited by Elp