NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

True, but there is no problem caused by a camera that is smaller than central obstruction from that point of view.

I'm guessing the illuminated and corrected circle is smaller than rasa8. That's where the old 4.5um atik 460 1 inch sensor might be useful for those who have them on a shelf, or the 178mc or maybe the 585mc or other zero amp glow planetary type cams in the non cooled variants for 30s subs etc.  

You don't, it's alt az. But F2 is sufficient to keep exposures less than 20-30 odd sec as the sensor saturates very quickly when doing RGB imaging if you're anywhere near light pollution sources. Im guessing this setup will have limits to exposure times so you don't get to see any tracking error.

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

You don't, it's alt az. But F2 is sufficient to keep exposures less than 20-30 odd sec as the sensor saturates very quickly when doing RGB imaging if you're anywhere near light pollution sources. Im guessing this setup will have limits to exposure times so you don't get to see any tracking error.

That might limit the trailing on a single sub, but what about the relative trailing in a stack of subs over an hour or so?

• Like 1

The software will be setup to work within the limitations. ZWOs Seestar is alt az and uses 10s exposures, the Origin is a faster scope so acquires signal faster. For a 4000 priced product I'd think they must have worked out all the kinks.

On 11/01/2024 at 02:20, BlueAstra said:

That might limit the trailing on a single sub, but what about the relative trailing in a stack of subs over an hour or so?

It's geometry and there are 2 ways of dealing with it: EQ mount or rotator.  This setup has none, so it's down to the small sensor and cropping.

On 11/01/2024 at 01:20, BlueAstra said:

Surely that should not be a problem as each sub can be rotated to take account of the Earth's rotation prior to stacking. That is what I would do and that is what an EQ mount does continuously.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 10:29, Mandy D said:

Surely that should not be a problem as each sub can be rotated to take account of the Earth's rotation prior to stacking. That is what I would do and that is what an EQ mount does continuously.

This is true- up to a point but, things in the corners of the FoV won’t appear in all of the images captured over a long period  of time. It’s more apparent the longer the acquisition period. Conversely I guess it’s a little less apparent  on a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor like the 178 than a 16:9 format that most of the small planetary camera cmos options seem to be adopting.

• Like 1