Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leaving a mount outside

I realise this topic has been beaten to death many, many times over the years, but I'd like to hear updated opinions.

Recently moved to the UK. Was not prepared for the (low) temperature and (near 100%) humidity.

Because I'm leery of corrosion, etc. I only keep my "beater" mount outside under a tarp - one of those cheap Telegizmos knock-offs on Amazon. The "beater" has a single axis drive and very little can go wrong with it. The trouble is... it has a single axis drive.

I spent a good three hours last night "imaging" what I thought was IC1396 and... it was way off in the corner of the frame, because I had used the setting circles to point the scope (no GoTo) and that simply wasn't accurate enough. And I don't want to do repeated plate solves and turning the slow motion knobs by hand because it's cold outside.

I don't have the option of an insulated shed, so a Telegizmos cover or similar is probably my only choice. Will this (plus maybe one of those rod greenhouse heaters) be sufficient to keep moisture off the electronics?

I've had my AZEQ6 outside now for 2 years under a TG cover. No rust at all apart from the usual surface corrosion on the counterweight bolts. The trick is to keep humidity at bay under the cover. I use a dew strap turned inside out (warm side facing out) and left running 24/7. No condensation forms on the mount or scopes this way. That's an old picture below but gives the the general idea.

20220313_165131.jpg.f5c3524120ef1d0de35bad928e7de8bb (2).jpg

Interesting.  I don't think I have the nerve to leave my mount and never mind my scope outside 24/7 although it is a pain to deconstruct it, particularly when I know it'll be out again the next night.  May have to investigate a TG cover.  Would still bring the scope in but more because of its value and fear of it getting stolen.

• Like 2

What sort of wattage is on those dew straps?

I bought a pair off Amazon (18 quid for a pair! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D7FSHBH), not astronomy-specific (apparently the long tele owners have the same problems.. who knew?!) and it's only 10W across both of them (gets power from a 5V 2.1A USB port). I don't know if that's enough given how cold it gets these days...

I don't have theft concerns because I'm on a first floor balcony. Definitely different case if it was a garden. Also, I don't intend to keep the cameras, scopes outside at all - just the mount.

34 minutes ago, orly_andico said:

What sort of wattage is on those dew straps?

I bought a pair off Amazon (18 quid for a pair! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D7FSHBH), not astronomy-specific (apparently the long tele owners have the same problems.. who knew?!) and it's only 10W across both of them (gets power from a 5V 2.1A USB port). I don't know if that's enough given how cold it gets these days...

I don't have theft concerns because I'm on a first floor balcony. Definitely different case if it was a garden. Also, I don't intend to keep the cameras, scopes outside at all - just the mount.

About 5 or 6 watts if they are on full power. I leave the Pegasus power box to control them dependent on temperature and humidity. It's rarely at 80% power under the cover.

Only a very small amount of heat is needed to lift the dew point above what's necessary to defeat condensation. As well as dew heaters there are low consumption puppy warmers available as well! (No, there really are: I have one. :grin:)

Olly

I have had an ioptron CEM40 mounted on a pier outside in my UK North west garden permanently since December 2020 and it’s covered with a Telegizmo 365 cover and it’s working perfectly. I place a large black bin bag over the mount and then the cover and strap the cover at the bottom. I’ve never used a heating stick and it’s been ok. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the TG365 covers. My entire setup (Meade LX200GPS) apart from the hand controller has been outside for two years…I wipe it down after an observing sessions to get rid of the worst of the condensation before putting the cover on. In winter I’ll uncover it a couple of times to ‘let it breathe’ but it’s almost always completely dry. A spray of WD40 on the electrical contacts every now and then plus a bit of a buff with some turtle wax on the OTA keeps it fairly sparkly.

I have had a TG cover on goto mounts all year in UK for over 10 yrs. It is starting to look a bit scruffy but still works. I never heat, but keep a dessicant inside. It is able to breathe through the pier. No rust no electronic issues, but keep batteries at higher temp. The worst time for humidity is when it is warm! 

Not so sure about optics, due to fungus?

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

Having read this thread avidly and seen Cuiv's YT I've decided that I want to keep my EQ5 permanently in the garden, just the mount, no scope.

It makes sense to me at my age to have something already set up which means no lugging heavy(ish) gear out of the garage each time I want to image.

I'm just undecided which one to get, it's probably going to be one of the smaller ones as there is no scope to cover.

Being a novice I'm always grateful for the collective wisdom on here.

When I had an NEQ6 it was kept on my pier in the garden for about 5 years, under a bicycle cover bought from a well known store. Apart from taking the cover off to allow 'airing' I never did anything else and I never had a problem, not even when, after a few years and a storm one night, it split.  I don't think the mount could have got wetter if I had immersed the thing in a tub, but a few days in the warmth of the boiler cupboard, it was back outside and working as never before.  I suppose the major lesson from this is, if you do the same, inspect your cover from time to time.

Edited by Saganite

On 09/12/2023 at 20:47, LaurenceT said:

I'm just undecided which one to get, it's probably going to be one of the smaller ones as there is no scope to cover.

My story is that I built a pier and put the mount on it, threw a plastic builders bucket over the mount and covered it with a large tg365. Because I was covering the mount and bucket the tg365 needed to be large. Time goes by and the mount now still lives beneath the same, but now trimmed down tg365. The bucket is history and the whole sits within a sentry box type enclosure that allows a lot of air movement. Why the bucket? It kept the tg365 from touching the mount and allowed a level of air movement reducing the chances of condensation which seems to have worked as two years later all seems good.

If you get a smaller cover, you are then limited to what you can cover. Personally, I would go for the largest you can that keeps well clear of the floor. All the best. 

put the pier in early this year, and cover all with a TG365 (bought bigger than needed), i keep a dew heater going and leave the mini pc turned on.  No issues and plenty of air getting around.  I did have some damp in it but that was down to one of my lads pulling the power and not saying anything, all was fine.

32 minutes ago, M40 said:

My story is that I built a pier and put the mount on it, threw a plastic builders bucket over the mount and covered it with a large tg365. Because I was covering the mount and bucket the tg365 needed to be large. Time goes by and the mount now still lives beneath the same, but now trimmed down tg365. The bucket is history and the whole sits within a sentry box type enclosure that allows a lot of air movement. Why the bucket? It kept the tg365 from touching the mount and allowed a level of air movement reducing the chances of condensation which seems to have worked as two years later all seems good.

If you get a smaller cover, you are then limited to what you can cover. Personally, I would go for the largest you can that keeps well clear of the floor. All the best. 

Building a pier is not possible, it wouldn't pass the scrutiny of the Domestic Management. Budgetary constraints rule out the 365 covers so I'll probably get the ordinary Telegizmos cover and then cover that with suitable bbq cover.

I'll hold this in place with a couple of bungees which works well for the cover I already have on my Skywatcher stainless steel tripod kept in the garden and still allows for circulation of air.

I'm actually interested in those sentry box style shelters. I am guessing that's a type of garden shed,  there are quite a number on Amazon but am not sure how to deal with removing the floor (that might structurally weaken it a lot). Would look nicer and if I could figure a way to roll it out of the way to observe...

Edited by orly_andico

1 hour ago, orly_andico said:

I'm actually interested in those sentry box style shelters. I am guessing that's a type of garden shed,  there are quite a number on Amazon but am not sure how to deal with removing the floor (that might structurally weaken it a lot). Would look nicer and if I could figure a way to roll it out of the way to observe...

Look up roll away or roll off observatories here or on https://www.cloudynights.com/

A simple Google search will aldo yield many images and videos of these, as well as the roll off roof style.

Clear skies!

Edited by bwj

7 hours ago, orly_andico said:

I just made mine by creating a box with a roof and removeable side panels, which makes it lighter, together with quick release clips at the base. All I do is pick it up and move it out of the way. The trick is to strengthen it on three sides only at the base so you dont have to lift it over the mount. Food for thought.

I've thought long and hard about this. There's no way I'd leave a valuable  scope set up outside in all weathers here. Aside from the risk of theft,  the humidity and wet weather here would have an impact over time, unless heated and dehumidified

A permanent pier does makes sense, it saves time on set up and PA. It doesn't take long to drop the mount into place and my scope is already set up with AAP, guidescope etc.

If I ever had the possibility of more than one night imaging I might think differently, but 50 days consecutive cloud here means I've given up hope 😀

I wish I could leave my mount outside in one spot-aligning every single time takes forever. However, with 12 acres of land about 2/3 of it is cedar trees and the only place I can stargaze is in the driveway/parking lot in front of the house. Can't leave my stuff out there unless I want it run over because my nephew pulls in like he's finishing a race. Maybe I can convince my mom to let me clear some more trees out for a decent astronomy field of view.