Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leaving a mount outside

I find that about one day in two weeks has been clear, the past three months. A terrible ratio, but one that makes quick startup even more important (before the clouds roll in). I use a Polemaster for alignment and have 3d printed adapters on all my mounts so that the one Polemaster can be transferred to any mount quickly.

I’ve seen the roll off observatory plans on CN but they all/mostly are for a pretty large shed type structure. I need something really small for the balcony.

Edited by orly_andico

I use a toilet tent for a semi-permanent setup. It can be pegged down at each corner and has pockets internally for weights for added security. It's stayed stable in several of the named storms we have had in the UK over the past year. I cover the mount with a towel and a waterproof cover inside the tent and keep dew heaters running to stave off the condensation. It's easy to un-peg and lift the tent over the mount to start observing, and makes a suitable shelter near the telescope for a laptop table or for providing shade for solar observing. 

• Like 2

A friend of mine left his rig out year round, well protected with a cover and small heat pad.  Worked fine until he took it to astro camp and found the tripod legs had rusted so was unable to adjust the leg heights.  

So a pier would be best if you can manage it, if not make sure you keep the tripod legs protected too. 

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2023 at 16:59, DeannaRose said:

I wish I could leave my mount outside in one spot-aligning every single time takes forever. However, with 12 acres of land about 2/3 of it is cedar trees and the only place I can stargaze is in the driveway/parking lot in front of the house. Can't leave my stuff out there unless I want it run over because my nephew pulls in like he's finishing a race. Maybe I can convince my mom to let me clear some more trees out for a decent astronomy field of view.

You need to buy your mum a nice Christmas present and work on convincing her to let you clear a space for your telescope. Having a permanent setup is a game changer, it's the best upgrade you will ever do.  Get her a one of those framed pictures showing the constellations visible on her birthday.  That may just just swing it your way - good luck :) 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2023 at 10:53, saac said:

You need to buy your mum a nice Christmas present and work on convincing her to let you clear a space for your telescope. Having a permanent setup is a game changer, it's the best upgrade you will ever do.  Get her a one of those framed pictures showing the constellations visible on her birthday.  That may just just swing it your way - good luck :) 

Jim 

That's an excellent idea! We didn't do anything for Xmas because my stepdad just passed on Friday, but her birthday's in March so maybe I can do something like that then!

• Like 1