Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The ideal starter setup

Adam-R

So today I thought I'd go and pull the trigger on at least a tripod and maybe a star tracker. Turns out if you like photography and live in Sheffield, Sunday shopping isn't possible. Everything closed 😞

17 hours ago, billy86 said:

What's your experience with astro buy and sell? I've seen some great scopes on there. People from SGL speak well of the site.

Take care- a 250mm Mewlon recently up for sale for £3000 on UKABS was actually a scam and someone lost his money 😱

Edited by MartianHill

With ABS look at the post history. What kit has the seller sold in past year for example.
If it is a scope a week, he is an unregistered dealer.
If it was a different scope 6 months ago, he can tell you about that.
Talk to the seller by phone - not just email.

Don't forget there is a lot of overlap of ABS & SGL members.
You can look up the seller SGL name and find his post history on here.
A good contributor? That is a positive sign.
You can also message him on here as a 2nd check on identity.
For example, I have an ABS username but can't remember last time I was on there actively. Anything could have happened.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

With ABS look at the post history. What kit has the seller sold in past year for example.
If it is a scope a week, he is an unregistered dealer.
If it was a different scope 6 months ago, he can tell you about that.
Talk to the seller by phone - not just email.

Don't forget there is a lot of overlap of ABS & SGL members.
You can look up the seller SGL name and find his post history on here.
A good contributor? That is a positive sign.
You can also message him on here as a 2nd check on identity.
For example, I have an ABS username but can't remember last time I was on there actively. Anything could have happened.

Thanks mate that's a massive help

I’m collecting in person. I set an alert to look at every item listed and see if it’s within travelling distance. That setup on market place does look awesome though for the money, but would need to see it in person 

3 hours ago, billy86 said:

kinda wish FLO offered finance

No! No! No! Through no fault of there own (other than selling astro kit) FLO have managed to make me a poor person. Finance would make me bankrupt🤣

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Elp said:

Buying AP equipment on finance is a fools errand.

Agreed. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Wait till you can.

Download some free data and start to learn processing.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Clarification
  • Like 2

I know it may be tempting but I also agree with Elp and Olly, Even if you think you can afford the finance you will inevitably find that you need other "bits and bats" once up and running and find you have more outlay, and although "bits and bats" they will be £50 here, £30 there plus postage and they soon add up.
I don't know if it already been said but getting the images is only a small percentage of the task and processing is probably a bigger task than the imaging so the idea of downloading 3rd party data (probably some still on SGL) and learning the processing side with free software will give you a big advantage when eventually you do get your own data and your images will be far better because of the effort.

Believe me whilst AP is not wizardry it does have a steep learning curve both in acquisition and processing, so it really is a marathon not a sprint and requires patience and the understanding failure will come before you master it (if you ever master it - I know I haven't). However after a while things drop into place and things start working and you then have a good understanding of what is involved, but still a way to go to get the best out of your equipment. So trying to speed things up by buying equipment early really does not make much headway on the end result. Take your time, get the best equipment you can afford but the right equipment and it will happen. 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

You have no doubt noticed the number of threads on SGL bemoaning the UK weather and the very limited opportunities to put our Astro kit to good use. I would seriously be in no hurry to buy AP equipment, especially if it is a budget conscious compromise. Download some free quality datasets (there are some here on SGL, and plenty on the internet, the Hubble Space Telescope data is all in the public domain!) and have a go at calibration, stacking and post processing with DSS and GIMP, both are free to download. I think all of the commercial Astro processing software packages offer free trials in one form another so there is plenty to get into without spending any money.

Get hold of a copy of “Making every photon count” and absorb all of the sound advice there in, that’s what I did before acquiring any kit.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2023 at 21:01, tomato said:

You have no doubt noticed the number of threads on SGL bemoaning the UK weather and the very limited opportunities to put our Astro kit to good use. I would seriously be in no hurry to buy AP equipment, especially if it is a budget conscious compromise. Download some free quality datasets (there are some here on SGL, and plenty on the internet, the Hubble Space Telescope data is all in the public domain!) and have a go at calibration, stacking and post processing with DSS and GIMP, both are free to download. I think all of the commercial Astro processing software packages offer free trials in one form another so there is plenty to get into without spending any money.

Get hold of a copy of “Making every photon count” and absorb all of the sound advice there in, that’s what I did before acquiring any kit.

I tried this last night. Got some data from astrobackyard. It's very difficult coming into it cold. I need to follow along with a tutorial I reckon.