Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and GRS under moments of excellent seeing (23/08/23)

Kon

I had a go at Jupiter yesterday morning but seeing was quite weird; it started really awful between 4-530 and then it became all stable for 20min before the fog and clouds came. I messed a lot with processing yesterday, mostly over sharpening it. I think this has a nice pleasing appearance with details still coming through around the GRS (happy for your feedback). 4x120s derotation. My usual 8" Dob setup.

image.png.1c3866bad0bfcbbc0178e5a5d35dc669.png

• Like 29

3 hours ago, morimarty said:

Another great image Kostas. You have managed to capture loads of detail especially around the GRS region great work.

Thanks Martyn. I am very pleased how well it came; i went through over 10 iterations yesterday to get to this result.  It is so easy to go overboard.

3 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Stunning image/s, well done. I really need to get the newt back on the mount.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Good time to do it this year as it is high up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Well done! That is an incredible image!

They say the GRS is slowing diminishing in size. Is it just me or does it appear smaller in this image?

Thank you. I think it is getting smaller; I have read similar reports from others. I should look at older captures for compariosn.

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Very nicel some lovely detail especially around the grs.

Thanks Simon. I wish we had more good runs rather than sporadic. I think there is room for getting more details if I could get more captures.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

It is so easy to go overboard.

You mean like this? 😄

JupiterbyKonEdited1.png.7cd6212cd91f87157df503facdc5ec90.png

I used massive oversharpening and pumping up the color saturation along with pulling in the highlights side of the histogram.

Your rendering is much more reminiscent of how Jupiter looks visually, which is refreshing and pleasing to this visual observer.

I think I made it look a bit like an old school webcam video frame capture from the 2000s. :smiley:

Keep up the good work!  I look forward to seeing more of your images.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You mean like this? 😄

I used massive oversharpening and pumping up the color saturation along with pulling in the highlights side of the histogram.

Your rendering is much more reminiscent of how Jupiter looks visually, which is refreshing and pleasing to this visual observer.

I think I made it look a bit like an old school webcam video frame capture from the 2000s. :smiley:

Keep up the good work!  I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Yes many of these and even more pushed. I think getting this natural feeling is hard although our eyes are drawn to the details we need to know our setup limitations. I have been really bad this apparition pushing it but I think I have found my medium.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Terrific amount of detail Kostas. Look forward to seeing what you can achieve when Jupiter is at opposition. Easy to forget you are doing this without auto tracking.

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated. I like the simplicity of manual but as my wife says 'way too much patience '. I hope you sort your collimation soon as tonight and this weekend is looking promising.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated. I like the simplicity of manual but as my wife says 'way too much patience '. I hope you sort your collimation soon as tonight and this weekend is looking promising.

I haven't even got the patience to collimate my scope properly 😉

Look forward to seeing what you get over the weekend but not sure my forecast is as good 😜

Edited by Space Cowboy