Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A close up view of The Elephant Trunk, mosaic in RGB

peter shah

I've been working on this the whole weekend, I just love the range of colour in this object. A three panel mosaic of IC1396 The Elephant Trunk Nebula.  Imaged with the 16in ODK and ASI2600 remotely from Spain.........Imaged at 1x1 software binned 2x2...exposure time was only 40mins in each RGB channel for each panel, all 60s unguided on The DDM85.
Thanks for looking
Peter Shah

IC1396 Three Panel Mosaic.jpg

IC1396 cropped.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 29

• peter shah changed the title to A close up view of The Elephant Trunk, mosaic in RGB

Wow, great image Peter and great star colour!

I've yet to image this one, but I'm curious what the object is in the centre of the ring in the cropped version? I don't think I've seen it so close up before.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, great image Peter and great star colour!

I've yet to image this one, but I'm curious what the object is in the centre of the ring in the cropped version? I don't think I've seen it so close up before.

Thank you ChrisI have no idea...it would be interesting to find out

33 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

wow that's quite spectacular Peter. The colours are amazing. 👍

It was surprising how much colour I was able to pull out

13 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Wow @peter shah amazing colours. You have made the elephant look like a mackaw 🙂

Thank you.... 

7 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

This is awe-inspiring. I love those touches of blue amidst all of the red and violet.

Thank you.....I thought they were gradients at first and tried removing them 😆 but soon realised they are real....all be it pushed to show the colour

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simmo39 said:

Stunning! A lot of detail for so little time!

Yes surprising only 40mins in each channel per panel...I was working on software binning for this over the weekend....as its imaging way over sampled ....massive benefits with no loss of resolution  

Software Bin example.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Wow Peter! That is the best Elephant's Trunk I have ever seen!

Did you use software binning on the M16 dataset as well?

Thank you Richard...

No didnt use it on M16 there was so much signal in that there was no need

Just viewed this on a larger monitor and it looks way better than on on my laptop. I'd agree that is one of the best, if not the best, Elephant's Trunk I've seen. Would you mind if i downloaded a copy for my desktop background?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Just viewed this on a larger monitor and it looks way better than on on my laptop. I'd agree that is one of the best, if not the best, Elephant's Trunk I've seen. Would you mind if i downloaded a copy for my desktop background?

thank you....no go a head 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, old_eyes said:

I may try a comparison anyway - just to see what difference it makes

I think you are right.

I took the red integrated master and IntegerResampled it. Not much visual difference although the NoiseEvaluation result dropped from 0.1797 to 0.0998, so it is doing something. But nothing like the effect you saw.

• Like 1

Thanks Daz

2 hours ago, daz said:

That is just peachy Peter!!! 😵

I am really please with the way its turned out....was just comparing it to one I took a few years back with my 12in and H35...I know its not a completely fair comparison but it does show how the techniques have moved on 

IC1396 Then and Now.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 1

Great image Peter. Isnt it nice to compare with old photos and see how far we have come. I bet if you re-processed the right hand image with todays techniques, you'll improve it no end, not that it is shabby to begin with.

Adrian

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CCD Imager said:

Great image Peter. Isnt it nice to compare with old photos and see how far we have come. I bet if you re-processed the right hand image with todays techniques, you'll improve it no end, not that it is shabby to begin with.

Adrian

Oh yes definitely.....My work flow is always changing depending on what I'm imaging sky conditions and what latest tools have come out

27 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

wonderful image, those colours!

Thank you.... they just seemed to develop quite naturally 

24 minutes ago, tomato said:

A really spectacular Elephant’s trunk Nebula, such rich colour and great detail. Have any of the RC suite of processing tools been used in the workflow?

Thank you....Oh yes I have them all... RC is a genius and his plugins are a must for any imagers tool box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1