NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

On 01/12/2023 at 17:23, johnturley said:

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the mount, and whether you can get it to track in both altitude and azimuth when in AZ mode.

I had one of these too, and it certainly tracked in both axes. I did find there was too much backlash in the az axis for my liking (I used it for white light and Ha solar observing in parallel quite a bit) so I returned it.

On 06/12/2023 at 12:30, josefk said:

A bit of an 'inbetweener'  focal length wise for me - i don't really need 10mm - in one scope it even more or less duplicates a FOV i already have but this will deliver that FOV at a moderatly lower magnification/bigger exit pupil (1.9mm vs. 1.5mm for the next EP down) so so i'm quite excited to try this out looking for a brighter galaxy or two the next clear dark night. At 1.9mm exit pupil it may need a Dioptrx (and if not straightaway then at some point probably not so far away) so reading on CN about being able to mount a Dioptrx under the eye guard and picking this up for much less than a Delos swung this for me even if it will be an odd man out in my EP case.

Small edit - Doh! - a Dioptrx fits the threaded top of the EP ok but NOT under the eye guard. It looks useable nevertheless but using the TV rubber eye guard. Oh well.

IMG_4607.thumb.jpeg.d757ca35e2119f6254d7f7ca6b3de45a.jpeg

Wonderful EP - you won't be disappointed, I think. I have a 9mm Meade HD-60 which this replaced. No complaints about the Meade, until I tried the Pentax! 

• Like 2

At least you found your one the same day , my one spent two nights outside hidden behind a recycling bin . I only knew it was some where as AliExpress emailed to say item was delivered, Royal mail standards have slipped appallingly and tbh they aren't much better then Hermes and the like . 

• Like 2

In just two days the postman brought a nice looking Tak losmandy plate for my FS128, i was expecting black, but this is really nice, I like the color!. A perfect fit on my saddle, brilliant!

8BEAA3FB-4292-486E-9EA2-2A1E1857ACB7.jpeg

8109597F-EDAB-489B-9B98-AFAECAEF68BE.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 14

Finally! After inexplicably spending 8 days of its 15 day journey in a distribution centre somewhere in the origin country, my black friday purchase has arrived. Not that there have been any observing opportunities to miss 😂

Feels very solid and the zoom action not too stiff which is good news. Looking forward to trying it out. 

20231214_132724.thumb.jpg.ca0fb6aa2cee9671a2be6ec945b736f2.jpg

• Like 17

14 hours ago, Sunshine said:

In just two days the postman brought a nice looking Tak losmandy plate for my FS128, i was expecting black, but this is really nice, I like the color!. A perfect fit on my saddle, brilliant!

8BEAA3FB-4292-486E-9EA2-2A1E1857ACB7.jpeg

8109597F-EDAB-489B-9B98-AFAECAEF68BE.jpeg

That looks the business for sure. No mishaps with that. 

Out of interest, might I enquire as to the serial number of your scope as it's been on the other side of the pond all it's life. 

Mine is - 99025 -  A 1999 scope, number 25 of that year. 

Regards   John

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

This beauty just arrived? wow congratulations! 

😁 Arrived 7:30 this morning! First impressions are it’s very nice aesthetic with a fantastic focuser. It is significantly larger than my 4” but not significantly heavier, probably 1-1.5kg heavier and the AZ75 handles it extremely easily! Balance is fine once the rings are shuffled towards the front end a tad. 

Now I just need some clear skies…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naughty Neal said:

Quite a few of these will have ended  up on UK shores.

I saw a lisitng for the sv215 yesterday and the vendor was asking £216 .

Yikes! Yes, I've been following the generally positive reports of this EP for quite some time. I was fortunate enough to have sold a couple of bits here just in time to catch the black friday deal from Svbony's storefront on Aliexpress, so it was just shy of £75. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badhex said:

Yikes! Yes, I've been following the generally positive reports of this EP for quite some time. I was fortunate enough to have sold a couple of bits here just in time to catch the black friday deal from Svbony's storefront on Aliexpress, so it was just shy of £75. 

AliExpress is a financial oddity.  The price can fluctuate wildly depending on exchange rate and any offers.  Can get some fantastic bargains though

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IB20 said:

😁 Arrived 7:30 this morning! First impressions are it’s very nice aesthetic with a fantastic focuser. It is significantly larger than my 4” but not significantly heavier, probably 1-1.5kg heavier and the AZ75 handles it extremely easily! Balance is fine once the rings are shuffled towards the front end a tad. 

Congratulations on the new scope, one that often tempts me

How it was on the AZ75, which I expect to be good was my only blocker that I kept dreaming up to stop me, darn it now it’s just cash.

Enjoy the scope when it clears 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

Congratulations on your new scope. I have been weighing this scope up myself. If I hadn’t recently discovered planetary imaging I would have bought one instead of a 10” go to dobsonian. Looking forward to hearing your report on it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

That looks the business for sure. No mishaps with that. 

Out of interest, might I enquire as to the serial number of your scope as it's been on the other side of the pond all it's life. 

Mine is - 99025 -  A 1999 scope, number 25 of that year. 

Regards   John

After inquiring with my contact at Tak America I learned that it’s serial #01011 dates to 2001, I guess mine is number 11 of 2001.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

After inquiring with my contact at Tak America I learned that it’s serial #01011 dates to 2001, I guess mine is number 11 of 2001.

Thats correct Sunshine..and mine is 99008, so 1999 build, and the 8th one of that year, so probably built in January 1999..

John (@Telescope40) said: "Mine is - 99025 -  A 1999 scope, number 25 of that year". 

John, our scopes are only 17 build unit numbers apart, so virtually sisters (or brothers!)😊

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IB20 said:

Nice scope!!👍

Once you add finder, diagonal, eyepiece, (and binoviewers?), you'll be able to push the scope much farther back towards the focuser..maybe a beefier dovetail too?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1