SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 2023 challenge 7 - Deep Sky Summer Triangle

I thought I would aim for something a little different and I present Brocchi's Cluster, otherwise known as the Coathanger.  

The data consists of 1 hour of each LRGB captured using a William Optics GT81, ZWO ASI1600 and Baader filters.  All data was captured in August and September 2023.  

image.thumb.jpeg.8d7553612751a3be67978393f29fdc81.jpeg

• Like 14

The Tulip Nebula in SHO , data collected on 3 (Poor) nights between 6th August and 8th September

4 hours H-Alpha, 5 Hours [OIII}, 2 Hours [SII] in 900 sec subs with the G3 16200 on the ODK 12, binned 2x2

Initial stacking (Full calibration), Gradient Reduction, Cropping and Trichomy in AstroArt 8. BlurX and NoiseX in PIxInsight, then DDP and selective colour in AA8 again. Given a light Unsharp Mask before saving as a PNG.

SHO245CropBXNXorangeblue.thumb.png.d2c731985ce26f2783834f5be92d1e10.png

No, it's not very good but I'm done with it for this year as I'm swapping cameras for galaxies.

• Like 9

Here is NGC6946, the Fireworks galaxy, right on the border of the Summer Triangle as @Graeme noticed. The open cluster NGC6939 is on the "wrong side" of the border...

From my Bortle 7 backyard near Paris on August 17.

ngc6946_sgl.jpg.20bc18605be1676d569d16f5

Technical details

200/800 custom Newtonian astrograph with Romano Zen optics and carbon fiber tube
AP900 CP4 mount on Losmandy HD tripod

ASI183mm (0.66"/pix)
TS 2.5" Riccardi-Wynne corrector
ZWO LRGB filters
Guiding : ZWO OAG + ASI120mm mini + AsiairV1
Luminance : 260 *60sec
Chrominance : 20*60sec for each R,G and B.
Conditions : Bortle 7/8 skies in Paris' suburbs, hazy skies and variable seeing (1.8" median FWHM on the luminance stack)
Stacking with Siril, processing with Pixinsight

Edited by Dan_Paris
  • Like 15

Likely to be my final entry, the clouds this year are just relentless and any forecast suggesting clear skies is, frankly, wrong.

Here is my image of NGC 6888, The Crescent Nebula.

Imaged during a week where we were supposed to get 6 straight nights of clear skies, the reality was only 3 nights but still managed to get 3 consecutive full nights and so 16 hours of data for this one. I wasn't even going to image this one this year, but the August super blue Moon stopped my broadband imaging so a change of target resulted in this one that was all collected just after the Full Moon period. PN G075.5+01.7 (Soap Bubble nebula) also visible along with the P cyg star cluster IC 4996.

Canon EOS 800Da with Optolong L'eNhance + Starfield 102ED with 0.8 Reducer, on HEQ5 with Belt Mod
ISO - 400
Frames - 128 x 300s + 52 x 360s (15:52:00)
Calibrations - 50 bias, 35 flats, 26 darks (300s) + 12 darks (360s).
Stacked in SIRIL
Edited in SIRIL, Starnet, Topaz DeNoise, AstroDeNoisePY and GIMP

Previously posted in the imaging forum, I have further refined this version to extract more nebulosity and bring out the elusive soap bubble nebula slightly.
124e-08-09-23-NGC6888TheCrescentNebula.thumb.jpg.2ed1ec977ad60297e4d5bb37ee2d43cb.jpg

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 9

Here's my two panel mosaic of the Cygnus Loop in narrowband. RASA 11v2 on an EQ8, ASI6200MM with Astronomik FastFR NB filters. One hour of each filter per panel so 6 hours in total. Processed in PI and finished in PS.

FullImage.thumb.jpg.a312e53a89d43175d729ce4e88ffe1a9.jpg

Alan

Edited by symmetal
Uploaded full size version with added information
  • Like 13

Here's 13.7 hours in HOO of the Eastern Veil Nebula but Foraxx palette for more natural stars. The OIII haloing with ZWO 7nm filters isn't the best but was manageable and really not too noticeable thankfully

Ha: 48x480" @ Gain 139

OIII: 55x480" @ Gain 139

v2.jpg

Edited by matt_baker
  • Like 10

When my wife saw this one she immediately said it was a dove, though most know it as IC5070, the Pelican Nebula in Cygnus. We liked it so much we will use it on our holiday card this year, hopefully bringing a peaceful celebration to all! It is illuminated by a hot blue type O5 star that also illuminates the neighboring North American Nebula. It was created from 63 five minute exposures using an ASI2600MC camera, an AT115EDT telescope, and an ALP-T dual narrowband filter to capture the ionized hydrogen and oxygen that light up the nebula. The ASIAIR+, the ASI174mm guide camera and ASI OAG and CEM40 mount were also used. It was processed in Astro Pixel Processor and PhotoShop.

IC5070.Hubble.jpeg

• Like 11

This is Pickering's Triangle from the Veil Supernova remanent in Cygnus.

Captured over three nights 09, 11 and 13 September, each night from astronomical dusk until the humidity topped 95%. 

L x 29, R x 12, G x 13, B x 13 at 5 minutes each. 5.5 hours integration, my longest ever! Captured with NINA/PHD2. Processed in Pixinsight.

NGC6979_01.thumb.jpg.f9f9f9b9c01102cdcf81c2dd5a68042a.jpg

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 9

Having looked at the stunning images in on this challenge, I have come to the conclusion I MUST HAVE a RASA😃

There have already been a number of versions of this, but I'll add my take on the Cygnus loop. I have really struggled for clear skies recently, so opportunities have been limited.

FMA180 with RisingCam IMX571 with L-Extreme. Taken over two nights in early September - total of approximately 11 hours integration. Bucking the trend a little bit - with stars.

Veil_Nebula_V2.jpg

• Like 9

This is my first attempt with an old Canon L USM 70-200mm F2.8 I picked up off ebay cheap. It was knocked about a bit - but they were built for that. And with no moon last night, I figured I'd give it a go, while the two mounts in the Obsy were doing other targets. So I set up my az-gti and mounted my trusty old astro modified Canon 6d and lens on there, with an optolong clip in UHS filter.

I shot wide open at 70mm F2.8 so 30 seconds at ISO 3200 was as long as I could get, but that was ideal as I wasn't guiding and didn't know how well the azgti would do without it (though I did spend time PAing down to <1").

I havn't used that optolong for a while and thought I needed to lock the mirror, so did. But subs were taking 3-4x as long to take with the asiair than 30 seconds, and it was dark and I'd been out for ages already by this time, so I left it. In the end that meant instead of shooting 900 subs, I only got about 260. I tested with the mirror not locked in the morning and found that worked as it should - 30 sec pics continuously - so I know for next time!

Integrated up in APP, processed in Siril and Affinity Photo with noiseX and noiseX.

It's the widest single shot I've ever got to turn out decent, and this lens is definitely a keeper!

Minimum editing really - the only thing I did do is dim the stars a bit around the main nebula (veil, etc) - otherwise in a wide view like this they do tend to just overwhelm all the detail - there must be more discrete stars in this pic than in any other I've taken too.

cygnusWide.thumb.jpg.b293d48c159c0471abb3c4f58ae2ab0b.jpg

• Like 12

I do like a play with vintage glass in astrophotography- latest one is a 1970s (probably) Japanese wide effort- a rare Ensinor 24mm. Daytime photographers talk about lack of aberration and edge to edge sharpness on these so that always makes it promising- and when they turn up for a few quid on eBay I can't resist. Unfortunately, the m42 threads didn't agree with my astro equipment, and the jury rigged attachment I tried gave me some wicked tilt. Hence starless!!!

This is an astro first light for the rig, covering the whole of Cygnus (hopefully cropped to keep it in the bounds on the competition), 60*60 seconds with a 4nm dual band filter on an SVBony SV405 camera.

CygnusStarlessCrop230904(1).thumb.jpg.544d0fe4d16ca4f13a39cdc59b8c2f75.jpg

• Like 8

NGC7000 and IC5070;  North American and Pelican Nebula, two panel mosaic.
12hrs per channel : 36 hour integration

Telescope : Stellamira 90mm ED Triplet + 0.8 FF/FR
Camera : ASI2600MM
Mount : AM5
Filters : Antlia 3nm

All subs captured between September 3rd and September 16th 2023

Processed APP, integration and mosaic, PI with XT suite and stretched with GHS, pixelmath combination of SHO and Dynamic colour palettes, stars are HOO.

NGC7000_IC5070_V20_0_1.thumb.jpg.97d5f1ab6cc4fc9cb487489e7696e884.jpg

Edited by bdlbug
  • Like 12

Here's The Cygnus Wall, taken using an OSC camera from the centre of Bristol. I collected 18 hours of data using an Optolong L-Ultimate filter for Ha and OIII; 19 hours using an Askar D2 for SII and OIII; and three hours with no filter for the stars and RGB data. So, 40 hours in total. I gave everything a stir in PixInsight to produce this SHO+RGB image. I used an Askar 130PHQ telescope and ZWO ASI2600MC-Pro camera.

v3_CygnusWall_fullres.thumb.jpg.665b26311c42ad1633788316e7563c56.jpg

• Like 12

Another Cygnus image from me, this time a lot more... a two panel mosaic that contains Tulip,Crescent, Butteryfly,Propellor nebulae and quite a few other  interesting objects as well.

Samyang 135mm at f/2,
Optolong L-Extreme
ASI2600MC OSC
Mount : CEM26 in back garden.

Session Dates :  6th, 7th, 20th, 21st, 22nd August 2023

Two panels, 6hrs integration for each panel plus 20mins each for RGB stars : 12hrs of data plus 40 mins of RGB stars
Integrated and Mosaic stitched with APP, processed in PI, extracted the RGB channels and then allocated R=ha and G=Oii,  then processed as a HOO using the Foraxx script in PI based on coldest nights pixelmath.
Stars screened in with pixelmath and used the star De-emphasizer script to bring some reduction into the star field as there are rather a lot of stars in this FOV...

Cygnus_Widefield_Dynamic_HOO_RGB_Stars_V3_0_0.thumb.jpg.5f99b64237fbef5d3e5b05aa36963434.jpg

• Like 11

I must say I'm amazed by the quality of the imaging and processing here. I bought my AA26c a few months ago but no first light yet, been setting up the telescope hub. Not done any real night time imaging with dedicated cameras before so this is all new to me but you all have inspired me greatly. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 3

Here's my Tulip nebula. I took this with in the last week of August, but wasn't very happy with the processing. So I've left it- in the interim I downloaded the Narrowband Normalization utility for PI that @Luke Newbould highlights on his YouTube channel which really helped with bringing out the Oiii in this image and highlighting the bow wave from Cygnus x1 that you can see just above the Tulip. So, thanks Luke! I'm much happier with this version. I captured this over 2 nights- it's 30 mins of RGB for the stars, 90 mins of Ha, which came through lovely and strong, plus 2.5 hrs each of Oiii and Sii, which were more of a battle, as usual! Kit used was a 150 Quattro, with an ASI1600mm and Baader UNB filters.

TulipSHO230820.thumb.jpg.e763a6f01279ac8ed1c4dfc34082cbce.jpg 

• Like 9

This is the last one from me, I promise! Everyone raves about Orion, but for me, Cygnus has a bit of everything- I never get bored exploring its riches.

This is an SHO treatment of the Butterfly Nebula, with some RGB Stars, including Sadr. This was taken over 2 nights in early September, and I managed to get 3 hours per channel (plus 30 minutes for the stars). I used the same kit for acquisition as my Tulip above, so a 150 Quattro on an NEQ6 with an ASI1600mm and Baader UNB filters. 

ButterflySHO.thumb.jpg.5bb140182d441004b21442d86a693472.jpg

Edited by Whistlin Bob
Clarification
  • Like 5

Here's the Cygnus Loop from my Samyang 135mm and ASI2600MC.  This time stepped down to 52mm (the tilt seemed a bit random with it at f2) and using a IDAS NBZ filter.  It was stacked from the best 3 of about 4.5 hours of data spread over 5th, 6th and 7th September and processed with Siril and Startools.  The gory details are on astrobin.  Thanks for looking.

r2_pp_light_stacked.png

• Like 7