NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I think I am in love...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/stellamira-125mm-ed-doublet-f78-refractor-telescope.html

46cm retracted length seems to bend the laws of physics, but that makes it viable for airline travel. The dew shield only retracts 3cm which is a bit strange - dew straps anyone? 3.3 kgs minus tube rings etc is brilliant, maybe get some plastic rings from TS to keep the weight down... 3 degrees field of view with a 56mm plossl. Jupiter / Mars / Doubles / Moon / Sun should look wonderful in this thing. 

Time to start a GoFundMe :D

Edited by Ags
  • Like 5

I have one of the 80mm f/10 StellaMira's which has a similar glass make-up of FPL-53 and Lanthanum, it was my first decent refractor purchase, a while back now. The StellaMira's (albeit, GSO's) are beautifully made and the glass combination is a little bit special in my as-yet limited experience. 

If I was in the market for 5" doublet this would almost certainly be at the top of my list based on my use of the 80mm f/10.

• Like 1

This should be my ideal refractor but having researched carbon fibre tubes I have two concerns…

1. Carbon fibre does not seem to release heat as quickly as aluminium so cools down slower.

2. The focuser and lens cell are only glued to the carbon fibre tube, there are reports that the glue can break and the parts they were holding come loose and/or fall off.

Does anyone have real world experience of these CF tubes and could offer some feedback ?

Edited by dweller25

Wow 3.3Kg for a 125 aperture refractor. That would even work on my SW Star Discovery mount. Surely that is wrong. My Megrez 110 weighs in at 6.5Kg. Admittedly its not a Carbon tube.

1 minute ago, russ said:

Wow 3.3Kg for a 125 aperture refractor. That would even work on my SW Star Discovery mount. Surely that is wrong. My Megrez 110 weighs in at 6.5Kg. Admittedly its not a Carbon tube.

3.3kg would be world-beating if it were accurate. Even the ultra-light Tak FC-100DC is 2.8kg.    
It’s a helluva package for that price though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

3.3kg would be world-beating if it were accurate. Even the ultra-light Tak FC-100DC is 2.8kg.    
It’s a helluva package for that price though.

It would be a stunning package if that is all true.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ags said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/stellamira-125mm-ed-doublet-f78-refractor-telescope.html

46cm retracted length seems to bend the laws of physics, but that makes it viable for airline travel. The dew shield only retracts 3cm which is a bit strange - dew straps anyone? 3.3 kgs minus tube rings etc is brilliant, maybe get some plastic rings from TS to keep the weight down... 3 degrees field of view with a 56mm plossl. Jupiter / Mars / Doubles / Moon / Sun should look wonderful in this thing. 

Time to start a GoFundMe :D

It has a 97cm focal length so the 46cm tube length is either a typo or you have to add a lot of extension tubes 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ags said:

Only option is to buy now and INSIST on poor FLO delivering on the advertised specs 👹

Even if that means breaking odd physics law here and there, but what is that in comparison to satisfied customer? :D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Oh my, that's tempting... :biggrin:

@FLO might want to take a look at that copy and paste error.

Ah! My fault entirely.

I made the new product page last thing Friday, just before we closed for the weekend. To save time, I used our StellaMira 90 ED page as a template and then edited it (the 125 ED doublet is from the same stable). But I forgot to edit the measurements. 

I have changed them to 'tbc' and will update Monday. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

Thank you for the update Steve.

Much as we really thought physics being advanced by the new ultra short, longer fl scope, we all truly knew the reality.

Looks a super package, just the red anodising makes me 🤪

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

It is a very interesting scope at a very interesting price.

Not sure that carbon fibre has any advantages for the visual observer though ?

Unless it has been treated to behave like Kruppax 50 that is !

• Like 1

I'd like to see it reviewed and compared to others. It looks a similar spec to the TS-Optics PhotoLine 125mm f/7.8 FPL53 Lanthanum Apo, which is €1385 + tax, and the Altair 125mm f7.8 at £1799.

Could be a winner.

Looks very nice. Which glass type is used that’s equivalent to FPL-53? I’ve often been tempted by one of these clones but my recent purchase makes that go away. Even with the correct weight and length specs it’s very well priced and specced scope which will give fab views I’m sure.

• Like 3