Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I am in love...

On 02/07/2023 at 21:53, John said:

The Vixen ED102SS gets down to around 22 inches in length with the dew shield slipped off. With the stuff in the photo the weight is around 4kg. I don't know what airline limits are these days :icon_scratch:

vixenportable.JPG.23fabe123408cf81db03889d2dac7207.JPG

(apologies to @Ags - this is off topic)

Depends on airline. But when I went on EasyJet last year it was 15kg for carry on, which is a massive amount. Mind, they never bothered to weight our carry on luggage which included a telescope and didn’t even weigh half of that. Looks like it’s still the same. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elp said:

... I need to see images taken with it first (not the posing variety).

A doublet with FPL-53 equivalent ED glass and Lanthanum, an f/7.8 focal ratio, from the same company that manufactures the StellaMira 90ED, backed by our 30-day return policy and a 2-year warranty. I don't think you need worry 🙂

Anyhow, I am sounding like a salesman, and this isn't my discussion, so I'll bow out now. 

Steve 

• Like 3

4.7kg ota, and 5.8kg with rings/dovetail/handle is a noticeable advantage in weight compared to the other currently available versions of the 125mm f7.8 doublet (it looks to be more than 2kg lighter). 

My C8 is 5.6kg with its dovetail so this 125mm apo is similar in weight albeit the mass is not as centralised. I think it would be fine for visual on the likes of an EQ5 or Skytee 2.

The closest I've found to what I've been looking for to date is the carbon fibre explore scientific 127mm f7.5 doublet. In comparison the Stellamira 125mm scope looks to be about 1kg lighter and costs only 2/3 of the price 😲.

Obviously there's more to consider than just weight but on this point it looks pretty good.

On 02/07/2023 at 21:53, John said:

The Vixen ED102SS gets down to around 22 inches in length with the dew shield slipped off. With the stuff in the photo the weight is around 4kg. I don't know what airline limits are these days :icon_scratch:

vixenportable.JPG.23fabe123408cf81db03889d2dac7207.JPG

(apologies to @Ags - this is off topic)

You’d have to lose the focuser too unfortunately. 22” is the maximum bag size on most airlines, which means the scope needs to be around 19” or less. Weight is rarely a problem - it’s dimensions that prove difficult. Lovely scope to take abroad though if the Moonlite’s easily removable?

On 06/07/2023 at 19:44, Paz said:

4.7kg ota, and 5.8kg with rings/dovetail/handle is a noticeable advantage in weight compared to the other currently available versions of the 125mm f7.8 doublet (it looks to be more than 2kg lighter). 

My C8 is 5.6kg with its dovetail so this 125mm apo is similar in weight albeit the mass is not as centralised. I think it would be fine for visual on the likes of an EQ5 or Skytee 2.

The closest I've found to what I've been looking for to date is the carbon fibre explore scientific 127mm f7.5 doublet. In comparison the Stellamira 125mm scope looks to be about 1kg lighter and costs only 2/3 of the price 😲.

Obviously there's more to consider than just weight but on this point it looks pretty good.

Yes - totally agree. If 4.7kg is accurate this scope is a real breakthrough for those of us who count weight as one of the key features in choosing a refractor. 

• Like 1

It's a very tempting proposition for sure. It's so close to the 90mm in terms of pricing, the latter would make the better imaging scope being a triplet, but the former would give the better reach and differentiate from my existing equipment. Choices, choices.