Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MAY 27TH, TONIGHT - STARS OF ARISTILLUS ON THE MOON

Thanks @paulastro, seeing these nicely now 👍

Just nearby this is Autolycus which has a small crater right on the rim. This is casting a matching shadow on the crater floor which is fun to see. Worth a look while you are there.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

ust nearby this is Autolycus which has a small crater right on the rim. This is casting a matching shadow on the crater floor which is fun to see. Worth a look while you are there.

I’m loving the jagged shadow in Archimedes too

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’m loving the jagged shadow in Archimedes too

Yep, lots going on tonight. Don’t miss Hyginus and Treisnecker Rilles, looking very good tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Quick snap.

0BE6E821-9168-47A1-A790-B65436FF5E07.jpeg

FF081095-E688-4FC8-AB95-EF6783BCC675.jpeg

Very nice 'snap' Stu. Excellent, was it with your phone?  My view was rather lack lustre, out at 9pm but before 10 the sky had gone very hazy and the moon was very dull.  Still, good to have a view though 🙂.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1

Very good seeing over here, managed to resolve three peaks,  four during still moments, using my Skylight. Also like the shadows from the Alpes and Piton, nice features.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Quick snap.

0BE6E821-9168-47A1-A790-B65436FF5E07.jpeg

FF081095-E688-4FC8-AB95-EF6783BCC675.jpeg

Missed the Stars as the rim shadow had receeded accross the floor too much by the time I got out. Still had and enjoyabe session as reported elsewhere, referncing the first image in this post by Stu.

• Like 3

Fantastic, thanks for the heads up. Been having a good gander at Rima Hyginus, Rima Ariadaeus and Rimae Triesnecker. Ukert, Murchison and Pallas also captivating. Really rewarding lunar session. Some more iPhone snaps for the pile!

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4561.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

Very nice 'snap' Stu. Excellent, was it with your phone?  My view was rather lack lustre, out at 9pm but before 10 the sky had gone very hazy and the moon was very dull.  Still, good to have a view though 🙂.

Yes, phone shot through the FS-128 and a 5mm. My phone mount attaches to the XW very well so that helped.

I didn’t count the ‘stars’, perhaps 5 or 6, they looked great.

Anyone else catch the little crater in Autolycus?

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, phone shot through the FS-128 and a 5mm. My phone mount attaches to the XW very well so that helped.

I didn’t count the ‘stars’, perhaps 5 or 6, they looked great.

Anyone else catch the little crater in Autolycus?

I thought those might be through your f8 dob, cracking images. The FS must be some scope!

• Thanks 1

I don’t usually do much moon exploration, but I have to admit that this thread has been very inspiring … even had a go at trying to capture the ‘stars’ with my phone and the 10-inch dob … plus a few other things … I’m a changed man 😀

Thanks 👍

PXL_20230527_204257714~2_Original.jpeg

PXL_20230527_210438738~2_Original.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/05/2023 at 10:09, kev100 said:

I don’t usually do much moon exploration, but I have to admit that this thread has been very inspiring … even had a go at trying to capture the ‘stars’ with my phone and the 10-inch dob … plus a few other things … I’m a changed man 😀

Thanks 👍

PXL_20230527_204257714~2_Original.jpeg

PXL_20230527_210438738~2_Original.jpeg

Fantastic @kev100. That’s just what threads like this are all about, prompting us to get out and look at something we might not otherwise have done. I’ve learnt a couple of new things so it’s well worth it 👍

• Like 2

Have to say, having the Duplex moon atlas has made lunar observing so much more accessible, as it makes putting names to features so much easier. I was always a bit “meh” when it came to the moon, now I’m an avid observer. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I thought those might be through your f8 dob, cracking images. The FS must be some scope!

Must say, I’m very impressed with it. I know there is a lot of cynicism about, but I judge by what I see, not what I’m looking through and it is right up there with the 8” currently. I know that in the best seeing the 8” will pull away, but often the seeing is less than optimal so that’s what counts.

The views of Treisnecker rilles were the best I’ve seen, better than the image but they still show well in that.

1 minute ago, IB20 said:

Have to say, having the Duplex moon atlas has made lunar observing so much more accessible, as it makes putting names to features so much easier. I was always a bit “meh” when it came to the moon, now I’m an avid observer. 

Thanks for that. I often find myself surfing and being amazed by the views but not knowing what I’m looking at. Might give it a go.