SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Awaiting the arrival of the Beast!

This little project has been on the cards for about four years now! I originally bought a scope off eBay which I thought was suitable, but never got around to getting it sorted for a variety of reasons, some to do with the scope, and others more logistical.

Then up popped a little 150mm f10 (!) scope from one @mikeDnight, who just so happens to live relatively near a certain @Peter Drew who was just the person needed for ‘the job.’

Some years back, Peter supplied me with a 102mm Vixen PST mod which I have had many amazing views with. So, ‘the job’ for Peter was to take the back end from my PST mod, Mike’s old 150mm f10, a decent sized ERF from @Highburymark and a pair of MaxBright II binoviewers, whisk in some Todmorden magic and produce a 150mm PST mod! Simples! 😬

Mike very kindly delivered the scope to Peter (a pint or two still outstanding to you Mike 👍), solving half of my logistical challenge (I live in Somerset!). Peter has all but completed the work on the scope, so the most challenging bit remaining will be to find time to get up North to pick up the scope, and also finally to meet Peter which has been on my wish list for a long time.

Here are some pictures of the scope up with Peter currently undergoing testing and finishing off. I plan to mount it initially on my AZ100/Planet tripod combo, but accept that a more solid pier may be required for better stability, we shall see. I guess the scope weighs at least 20kg but am not certain currently.

It is setup for use with binoviewers and 40mm eyepieces with a Barlow element to reach focus, so is likely to be around the x150 mark for minimum magnification. It will require good or excellent seeing to get the best out of it, but should be amazing when everything comes together. I will still be able to use the backend from the PST in my 102mm for days when the seeing isn’t good enough or my back is not up to carrying the scope!

Can’t wait for my first views through it 👍🔭☀️🕶️

EDIT, just thought that I can easily mount the 102mm side by side with the 150 and switch between them depending on the seeing conditions 👍

IMG_6636.jpeg

IMG_6637.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

IMG_6639.jpeg

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks brilliant Stu.

And you got to meet SGL’s own Todmorden Peer, Lord Peter Drew, Earl of Hebdon Bridge, into the bargain 👍🏻

Not yet Jeremy! I still have to journey to the frozen North over many days to have that honour 👍

• Haha 4

The views through that, when the conditions allow, are going to be truly superb I'll bet 😁

Congratulations on the impending "beastly" arrival Stu 🙂

(plus, it will develop your muscles as well !!!)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Looks awesome Stu. It will be nice to hear how it performs. :icon_cyclops_ani:

If you pop down soon then you might be able to have a look before I come up to collect it! 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Fantastic Stu - I wondered what had happened to my old ERF. It will be a particularly killer scope for prominences, I imagine.
So is the ERF mounted inside the OTA?  

Yes, my current 102mm is definitely better on proms than surface detail so I expect more of the same, just significantly higher resolution 👍

The ERF is mounted on a removeable holder part way up the tube.

IMG_6639.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I thought the 16" Dob was already "the Beast"... you might have to hit the thesaurus for this one 😊

Oh no! That could be a problem 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yes, my current 102mm is definitely better on proms than surface detail so I expect more of the same, just significantly higher resolution 👍

The ERF is mounted on a removeable holder part way up the tube.

IMG_6639.jpeg

IMG_6638.jpeg

Excellent - it’s a really good quality ERF, better than some others on the market, so should work well. Very exciting.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I can’t quite believe where the time has gone! I finally collected this from Peter from Todmorden today and will be home this afternoon.

Lovely to meet Peter finally and have a little look around the main dome with its 16” and piggy backed 150ED (which looked tiny!)

Goodness only knows when we will get some sun, but hopefully when it gets higher in 2024 I’ll get to use the Beast and enjoy the fabulous views.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I can’t quite believe where the time has gone! I finally collected this from Peter from Todmorden today and will be home this afternoon.

Lovely to meet Peter finally and have a little look around the main dome with its 16” and piggy backed 150ED (which looked tiny!)

Goodness only knows when we will get some sun, but hopefully when it gets higher in 2024 I’ll get to use the Beast and enjoy the fabulous views.

Well done @Stu. Pics when you are back, please 

• Like 2

Managed to get the scope mounted with a spare pair of rings whilst waiting for the correct ones to be delivered. It sits well on the AZ100 and seems pretty solid. I might give it a go in Astro mode first by refitting the original focuser and removing the D-ERF. This scope will need excellent seeing to give best results on the Sun, and that won’t be until it gets a bit higher next year.

IMG_5403.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Magnificent Stu - glad to have made a small contribution to this project - 2024 should be memorable for solar Ha. Happy new year!

Thanks very much Mark 👍. Your ERF was one of the last pieces of the jigsaw that made it possible.  It’s been a long time in the making; there as an idea in my for a few years then a while to get it organised and then seven months to be able to go a pick it up! Hopefully worth it though 🤞