Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Most Desirable Telescope

When I was a tad younger than I am now, my desired ‘scope, including  a Questar, was this... the TeleVue Ranger.
TV_RANGER_G.JPG.4b2dd28ba1bed30aae47119698858f49.JPG

After dreaming, lusting, etc., at the S&T TeleVue adverts for a few years [as one does]... then fast forward to 1998, my dream, lust, etc., became reality.
IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

I think you’re going to need a bigger or better mount. That one only does azimuth! 😜

I have a plan for a wedge :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dweller25 said:

How well does oil spacing work in your chilly climate Jerry ?

I called Astrophysics about a refractor a while back- unobtanium...but the lady had a very knowledgeable employee call me back about the oil spacing deal .He called me back right away- what a great maker Astrosphysics is. It turns out its not the cold temp itself that causes problems- it the rate of cooling that can cause issues. Taking an oil spaced scope outside from 20c in the house to -30c is a no no. However, taking the scope out in a case or "scopecoat" (wife made me one out of an old quilt) is fine, slowing the cooling rate. Once cooled properly there is no issue storing it "outside" (seacan in my case).

Knowing this I would not hesitate to buy an oil spaced triplet for use in my temps. No issues going from -10c to -30c over the course of a day etc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Mike. A quick diversion from the thread topic. Can I ask what mount you’re using  in the photos??
Regard’s.  John 

I'm not certain of its actual name John, but it was a Celestron version of the G11 made for Celestron by Losmandy. Ive owned both the Celestron version and the Losmandy G11 and much prefered the Celestron. I regret ever letting it go! Thinking back at the incredible kit I've let slip through my fingers over the years, I'm starting to think I'm not just short sighted, but actually stupid at times.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2

I think I’ve been lucky enough to own most of mine a Takahashi 150 TOA  Astro Physics 130EDT  Celestron C14HD , Obsession 18 Classic  And now Finally 

A TEC 140ED  😊 🤔

IMG_5917.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

I think I’ve been lucky enough to own most of mine a Takahashi 150 TOA  Astro Physics 130EDT  Celestron C14HD , Obsession 18 Classic  And now Finally 

A TEC 140ED  😊 🤔

When you say “finally”, Garry, what precisely do you mean? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

For me it would have to be some sort of Tak as in the 30 or so years I've been astronomising, they have always had a good reputation.   The only question is which one....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Merak said:

For me it would have to be some sort of Tak as in the 30 or so years I've been astronomising, they have always had a good reputation.   The only question is which one....

The planning and pondering is half the fun 👍🏻

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Merak said:

The one that's within your financial reach, and that you can handle easily. Tak's get heavy real fast!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The one that's within your financial reach, and that you can handle easily. Tak's get heavy real fast!

I'll probably end up with something like the fc76dcu as I want something at the lighter end for grab n go and those shorter sessions where lugging a bigger scope would be a bit of a pain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merak said:

I'll probably end up with something like the fc76dcu as I want something at the lighter end for grab n go and those shorter sessions where lugging a bigger scope would be a bit of a pain.

Great for travel too, as splits into 2 parts.

But the FC 100 is not much heavier…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm neither a great visual observer nor great imager, so there is no perfect telescope for me in a practical sense. I'd not stretch any scope to it's limit!

So I'm with Jeremy, Questar!!  As a boy I had a single (loaned) copy of Sky & Telscope and fell in love with the Questar scopes being advertised. I would be happy for it to just sit in a display cabinet but I'm sure I enjoy actually using one!

More realistically (?), it would be desirable to have a scope ready to go at a moments notice. So notwithstanding the Questar fantasy, I'll go with my existing RC10, but in an observatory at a dark site!

• Like 1

For me the old vintage Cave newts are for me my favorite scope to lust after. This completely restored 10in Cave came up on astromart a week ago. These scope just look so good 'they spell class. I have a 15in Obsession in my observatory but If I had the  room I would love to add this/ Its just to far away to pick up' like 2000 miles.  When I  think telescopes I think of this style.  Cant beleive it has not sold yet.

69c9316544de018a141c82aaec002c4c-img.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, starbob707 said:

For me the old vintage Cave newts are for me my favorite scope to lust after. This completely restored 10in Cave came up on astromart a week ago. These scope just look so good 'they spell class. I have a 15in Obsession in my observatory but If I had the  room I would love to add this/ Its just to far away to pick up' like 2000 miles.  When I  think telescopes I think of this style.  Cant beleive it has not sold yet.

69c9316544de018a141c82aaec002c4c-img.jpg

I remember looking longingly at advertisements for Cave reflectors like this one in S & T decades ago. I'm not a fan of Dob's or Newts on most modern mounts, but for some reason the Cave really holds some magic for me, and I'm sure I'd enjoy using it as much as I'd enjoy looking at it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Great for travel too, as splits into 2 parts.

But the FC 100 is not much heavier…

True but I have a c100ed-r so sorted in that way.   The 76 would fit in a backpack split in two so easier to get to walk or ride to slightly darker skies.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 16:56, mikeDnight said:

Mine has to be my FS128 as shown in my current (April 2023) avatar.  I've loved all my scopes, perhaps with the exception of my NP101 IS, and I really love my FC100DZ,  but the FS128 will always hold a special place in my heart.

My favourite scope and the best mount I ever owned!

20230430_165731.thumb.jpg.97a96e740f47dd3b3e7e7dc1128f5b80.jpg

An incredible scope. Certainly on my dream list. 
what star chart is in the background. Always interested in books, I can afford those. 

2 hours ago, ED Splitter said:

An incredible scope. Certainly on my dream list. 
what star chart is in the background. Always interested in books, I can afford those. 

I love star atlases also. The one in the photo is The Cambridge Double Star Atlas by Bruce MacEvoy and Wil Tirion, 2nd edition.

2023-05-0511_24_34.thumb.jpg.e76527e6eb8722adae0a3c9c01307777.jpg

• Like 2

To be honest, I wouldn't know what my most desirable scope would be!, I've not looked through enough scopes to get the desire. Looking at YouTube reviews only made things worse as there's so much choice, plus when you've decided, along comes it's better sibling!😁

Chaz

• Like 1