Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue Genesis

I am sure a few of you have clocked a recently advertised TeleVue Genesis. I am interested I have to say. I own a Gibraltar mount which it would obviously sit well on. I also have a thing for classic refractors. 

Anyone any experience of these scopes or am I am to embark on a journey of romantic nonsense.

I currently own a Starfield which would then be up for sale.

• Like 2

I’m coming to the conclusion that it would indeed be a nostalgic nonsense to go down this route after spending some time researching. I think my current scope dare I say might  be better than the Genesis.

Very happy to be corrected, but it seems fluorite or not, it performs like an achromatic 

• Like 2

I'd keep the Starfield..:smile:

Perhaps I should clarify..nothing against the Genesis, it's a lovely looking scope, and if it's the one with the FT focuser it's well specified as well.

But at F5 it's really more a lower power widefield scope, whereas the longer FL Starfield would be more versatile and a very capable all round scope.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5

By all means add the Genesis to your collection, but don’t get rid of the Starfield.

I have one (a Genesis), and its strength is lovely flat wide fields, up to around 5 degrees with a 31mm Nagler. Wonderful for the Veil/NAN and Milky Way sweeping.

If well collimated/aligned (which mine is) they are capable of high power views and splitting some tight doubles, but show a fair amount of CA. The front doublet is something like an f11 achro, and all the fluorite element in the rear reducer/flattener does is ensure that no more CA is introduced, it doesn’t reduce what is already there.

Apart from those wide fields, the Starfield will be much better.

I’m on my third and best Genesis and it won’t be going anywhere, but that’s as much for illogical reasons as anything else; I just love owning it and using it for what it does best when I get the chance.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/TVGenesis.htm

418A8F32-47CD-45A8-85FD-F5917DE35B9C.jpeg

• Like 8

Thank you, but I can’t afford to own both of them, as much as I would like to. To be honest I couldn’t afford the Starwave/Starfield either but I am so glad I did. It was an expensive (to me) gamble that paid off, but really I can’t afford to gamble on astronomy gear or afford to own multiple scopes I am afraid.

Edited by Moonlit Knight
  • Like 3

I had an F5 'Pearl RIver' Genesis and, if I could have any scope back again, it would be that one. Like Stu, it was the super-wide views that I liked and which remain extremely difficult - in my case impossible - to emulate. It's also an interesting scope to own because it is the 'Steve O'Meara' scope from his book on the Messier objects. And then there's the build quality...

Olly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Thank you, but I can’t afford to own both of them, as much as I would like to. To be honest I couldn’t afford the Starwave/Starfield either but I am so glad I did. It was an expensive (to me) gamble that paid off, but really I can’t afford to gamble on astronomy gear or afford to own multiple scopes I am afraid.

Sticking with the Starfield is the only option really, the Genesis in that case just makes no sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I had an F5 'Pearl RIver' Genesis and, if I could have any scope back again, it would be that one. Like Stu, it was the super-wide views that I liked and which remain extremely difficult - in my case impossible - to emulate. It's also an interesting scope to own because it is the 'Steve O'Meara' scope from his book on the Messier objects. And then there's the build quality...

Olly

Mine now is a Pearl River original, valued for many reasons but the history being towards the start of the Televue Petzval journey and link with O’Meara are right up there.

25C03882-020A-47B5-8C61-207645E9A366.thumb.jpeg.453da20c0d575e50261d2940f08a574a.jpeg

• Like 2

I suppose I have to reluctantly agree, that in today’s market a TV Genesis can easily be beaten by modern premium refractors.

And yet I have to admit that ownership is not always completely logical.  Some of us yearn after cars made decades ago.  Have you ever watched “Bangers and cash” on television?  Owners and potential owners (and me) drool over cars from yesteryear.  There’s just something about them that modern cars cannot satisfy.

Are those cars more efficient, more reliable, more comfortable, easier to maintain, have better performance than modern cars?  No……but as I said earlier, it’s not always completely logical.

I own both a TV Pronto and a Skywatcher ED80. Same comparison!

So if you already have a TV Genesis, or still want one, just go ahead and enjoy it😊

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
Added info
  • Like 4

There are numerous examples of people having an illogical affinity to a particular scope.  For instance, the current range of Takahashi 100mm Fluorite doublets. Owners use superlatives to convince people of their merit.

Word such as, razor sharp, sharp enough to damage your retina, that they will knock the socks off far larger scopes, the superb colours etc etc.

I've had a DL and it's a very sharp, well made 100mm fluorite doublet.  However, I have to say, apart from in the very worst seeing, using my 8inch Dob I have far better views of every object I look at, and use it for deep sky on nights I wouldn't bother getting the DL out if I still had it.

I've also owned a Genesis f5, and loved using it, for what it's best at.  And yes, if I ever had some spare cash and one came up at a decent price, I might just be tempted to buy  it!  😊

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, paulastro said:

There are numerous examples of people having an illogical affinity to a particular scope.  For instance, the current range of Takahashi 100mm Fluorite doublets. Owners use superlatives to convince people of their merit.

Word such as, razor sharp, sharp enough to damage your retina, that they will knock the socks off far larger scopes, the superb colours etc etc.

I've had a DL and it's a very sharp, well made 100mm fluorite doublet.  However, I have to say, apart from in the very worst seeing, using my 8inch Dob I have far better views of every object I look at, and use it for deep sky on nights I wouldn't bother getting the DL out if I still had it.

Yes, unfortunately, that sort of eulogising puts off potential owners - especially me. I've been thinking about it for months but whenever I read that nonsense I switch off :sad2:

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 09/03/2023 at 18:57, Stu said:

Mine now is a Pearl River original, valued for many reasons but the history being towards the start of the Televue Petzval journey and link with O’Meara are right up there.

Stu, how does the weight compare with a TV85? Would they be compatible in terms of mount / tripod? Thanks.

Edited by scarp15
typo

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Are you sure the Tak owners are just having a bit of fun?!

I also wonder why it bothers some people who read about the Taks- why read it if it bothers?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Are you sure the Tak owners are just having a bit of fun?!

I also wonder why it bothers some people who read about the Taks- why read it if it bothers?

I'm not sure all of them are 😊

No, it doesn't bother me at all it's funny, some of my best astro mates are Takiphiles 🙂.

I really don't take it that seriously 😅.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Please let’s not go down the Tak owner bashing route again. Thanks

Stu, I've never bashed a Tak owner in my life.  I'd have to bash myself as I've owned several, including Sky 90s (more than one), FS76, FS102, FC100DL and TSA120.  All very nice scopes 🙂.

Here's a fine drawing by Mike (mikeDnight) when we were observing on April 2nd, 2017.

20230312_102743.thumb.jpg.09132f639ec2366bdcc28281de3fa108.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Missed off the DL!
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 14:05, Moonlit Knight said:

I am sure a few of you have clocked a recently advertised TeleVue Genesis. I am interested I have to say.

You just want a telescope with the name “Genesis” in the title. 😉

• Like 3

On 09/03/2023 at 14:05, Moonlit Knight said:

I am sure a few of you have clocked a recently advertised TeleVue Genesis. I am interested I have to say. I own a Gibraltar mount which it would obviously sit well on. I also have a thing for classic refractors. 

Anyone any experience of these scopes or am I am to embark on a journey of romantic nonsense.

I currently own a Starfield which would then be up for sale.

I think astronomy has some romance to it, and having an attachment to a particular scope because it pulls on your heart strings isn't nonsense. If you love it you'll use it, and appreciate it for its merits and not its weaknesses. I can't remember if I've ever looked through an original Genesis, but i have owned and observed with a NP101 IS  and more recently a Genesis SDF. As wide/rich field refractors they are jawdroppingly, eyepoppingly, blow your socks off awesome, even SUPERLATIVE!  This is where their strength lies, at least from a visual perspective. Sweeping through Perseus using my Genesis SDF on a particularly transparent night in January, I came across the Muscle Man Cluster, which is alongside the double cluster. The beautiful rich colours of the stars in the double cluster contrasted with the piercingly sharp peppering of what appeared to be thousands of brilliant white stars in the Muscle Man. The latter twisted and turned with tendril-like arms of stars giving a strong impression of depth to the 4.5° field of my 35mm Panoptic, which the cluster filled. Very few scopes are capable of showing this cluster in such an impressive way, but the Genesis will.  You may want to hold onto your Starfield though, as the Genesis is unlikely to perform nearly as well on the Moon, planets, and at high powers. (Hope I didn't offend anyone with my enthusiastic terminology)!:icon_geek:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 09/03/2023 at 15:15, Moonlit Knight said:

I’m coming to the conclusion that it would indeed be a nostalgic nonsense to go down this route after spending some time researching. I think my current scope dare I say might  be better than the Genesis.

Very happy to be corrected, but it seems fluorite or not, it performs like an achromatic 

I think your current scope will be better in every way, except with regard to width of field. Wide flat field is where the magic lies for any 4" Televue with the exception of the TV102. But whatever you decide to do, you can greatly increase your scopes ability to reveal unbelievable detail if you block out any stray light from entering your peripheral vision.  A simple blackout blanket will do this. Honestly, you don't have to live on Hawaii or even in a completely dark site to see every bit as good as, if not better than Steve O' Meara.

577e50a311f71_2016-07-0713_52_59.jpg.475a78a396f056abcaf4e961e4ac3574.thumb.jpg.4050eafcad19f54f95538136e47fb12d.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

I wanted a TV Genesis many years ago. I found one for sale but the seller simply would not budge on price and then my Vixen ED102SS popped up for sale at quite a bit less from a trusted SGL seller, so I opted for that instead. The Vixen is "slower" at F/6.5 but a doublet that uses an FPL-53 ED element. I can get a 4 degree true field with the scope and it also seems to be figured well enough to deliver sharp views at 200x plus as well. CA in the Vixen is really pretty low, comparing well with the F/9 ED100 that preceded it. No rock band name in the scopes title though - Vixen is named after one of Santa's reindeer, apparently !

I can see the appeal of owning a scope with the sort of history attached to it that the Genesis has though 👍

Edit: one further thought, a rock band name that might not be so popular for refractors would be Rainbow I reckon 😁

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I think your current scope will be better in every way, except with regard to width of field. Wide flat field is where the magic lies for any 4" Televue with the exception of the TV102. But whatever you decide to do, you can greatly increase your scopes ability to reveal unbelievable detail if you block out any stray light from entering your peripheral vision.  A simple blackout blanket will do this. Honestly, you don't have to live on Hawaii or even in a completely dark site to see every bit as good as, if not better than Steve O' Meara.

577e50a311f71_2016-07-0713_52_59.jpg.475a78a396f056abcaf4e961e4ac3574.thumb.jpg.4050eafcad19f54f95538136e47fb12d.jpg

Mike, the Genesis I took up to The Astronomy Centre all those years ago and our friend Derek was so pleased to be able to observe with was a Genesis f5, not an sdf.

• Like 1